• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 transmission swap - Auto to manual

Hi, New member here. Bought a '91 this fall with auto. transmission. We are doing a swap to a manual tranny and was wondering if any of you had any tips, red flags, shortcuts, head ups re: this swap. Also, if anyone has a shift boot that they could part with we could use it. Used in decent condition is fine. Thanks.

Also remember engine is different, cams are not the same as manual engines........

Also remember engine is different, cams are not the same as manual engines........

Yep. And, the manual ECU is different. It has an input for the clutch switch- not sure how you're going to get that to work with your auto ECU.

The shift boot will be the only part you will swap.....take the advice above.

Thank you all for your advice i.e. don't do it!! - But, we are going ahead with it. I checked out the links you posted. thanks. We're sticking with the auto. engine so we'll see how that works out. Auto Tranny is out, manual Tranny is in. Suspension is back up. Pedal is in. Shifter is in. (we sure could use that boot!) We're redoing wires right now. Auto ECU minus resister = manual ECU. Thank you Honda! My son Mike is a Genius! (see Meyagi's Automotive on Facebook) He is doing the work. We'll post pix later.

Last edited:
I'm impressed. Are you going with a six speed transmission?

if you mess up the wireharness let me know I have a couple complete harness for manual your gonna need

Manual Transmission Test Drive

Well the work is complete and we just took it for a ride! WOW! There's no way you could tell that this isn't manual transmission from the factory. It shifts clean, clutch is good and tight, back up lights work, traction control works, there are no dash warning lights on and I didn't notice any lack of horsepower from leaving the automatic engine as it was. Great job Meyagi's Automotive!

The only downside here in Maine is that now I have to put it in storage for the next 4 months.

Last edited:
Hi,

in the engine, the camshafts are the only difference.... if you
manage to have a manual ECU, just throw in there a set of
manual camsahfts and you will have all the power of a manual ;)

Nuno

Also remember the auto cams may not be a bad thing either, since they offered better constant torque at the lower end........

Im Tom's son, i did this conversion. took me about 24 hours total, and ive never touched an NSX before. ive swapped alot of newer subarus from automatic to manual, and this swap was quite a bit easier then those.
parts i used:
trans+clutch (obviously)
left and rear mounts
intermediate shaft
shifter with aluminum mount that secures it to the body
shift cables
brake pedal
clutch pedal assembly, master and slave cyl.

i made a hardline for the clutch out of brake line tubing, ran it under the car with the a/c lines and coolant pipes. i chose to swap just the brake pedal out instead of the gas/brake assembly. the pedal was the only difference and theres not much room under the dash to pull the whole assembly out. electrically, i unsoldered the harness from the PRNDL switch on the auto shifter, and ran my reverse light switch, clutch switch to start, and clutch switch for cruise cancel to the pigtail and soldered everything and heatshrinked it. plugged pigtail back into the main harness. clutch pedal was probably the trickiest part to install due to the lack of space under the dash. i used a piece of matte black vinyl to cover the PRND christmas tree on the dash, due to a manual cluster being very expensive.
the car drives exactly like factory. no warning lights on for anything, trac/abs/cruise all still works like stock. all the parts for this job cost less the 4k, including a manual steering rack i havent installed yet, and a spare tire due to the car not coming with one. even with the swap my dad is into this car for thousands less then it would have cost to buy a stock 5spd in the condition this one is in.
if you can change your own timing belt on a NSX, you can do this swap. its very straight forward, and the way i did the wiring made no permanent changes to the car or harness.

post swap, time to store it for the winter.

transmission came from a 96, so the sensor was there. just plugged it in. dad doesnt really like the feel of the power steering so im going to put the manual rack in.

thanks! i know dad cant wait to enjoy it in the spring

Really nice job! This is a more common mod in Japan, as the thinking is the auto cars are better taken care of. Over there, they usually swap in a 6-spd with the NSX-R or OSG diff. Best Motoring had a segment about it.

Back