• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1992 - Trying to solve starting problem. (starter engaging)

Lately, If I have not driven the car for a couple of days, the starter will not engage. Everything else seems to work fine, Fuel pump kicks in, I can hear relays clicking when I turn the key, but no start. I have been jumping the + terminal in the fusebox to the starter solenoid and it starts right up.

If I drive it regularly, for example to the office, let it sit for 10 hours, it starts right up.

In the last 3kmiles/3 years, I have replaced the ignition terminal at the base of the steering column and the main relay (in addition to 50% of the rest of the car). I started to think it was the security system (factory) because I would sit in the car and lock/unlock doors, turns lights on/off and magically it would turn over and start, but I am beginning to think this may be a false positive.

Has anyone experienced this?

Cliff notes - the wiring harness is not virgin, it is turbo'd with aftermarket fuel, oil, meth and intercooler pumps.

Appreciate your help and wisdom!

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 8.02.44 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking car.sounds like it may be time to replace the battery.I live in Guam and even the batterys with the 7 year gaurantee die out here in typically 2-3 years.they just stop holding a solid charge,which is what sounds like is happening to you,as when you hook up a jump start you have no problems.hope it helps

Sounds like OP was jumping it from itself, which should largely rule out the battery. What about the starter relay? Other connections?

The battery is good, and I was using the battery post from the fusebox and jumping it to the starter. I have not tested the starter cut relay, (which i believe is the only relay in the starter circuit). I will try that, also now wondering if the factory security system could be problematic.

Could be time for a new ignition switch......

Also check the switch for the clutch pedal.....

How many miles?

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks for the help,

124k miles on the car, I did replace the ignition switch 3 years ago, but both ignition switch and clutch switch are inexpensive, so I will start there.

Back