• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1994 Honda NSX (JDM)

whoohoo doin the neutron dance.....

I had to comment on the video. Doug got a lot wrong - 250hp, 15 inch wheels all around OEM, etc. Love the color though.

I had to comment on the video. Doug got a lot wrong - 250hp, 15 inch wheels all around OEM, etc. Love the color though.

Unfortunately Doug has a habit of getting the facts wrong in many of his videos. My take is his target audience is more the casual car owner and not the owner / enthusiast / expert. Disappointing nonetheless. Surprised there isn't anyone on his staff that is more technical about cars, or someone in post-production who reviews these videos for accuracy.

Someone did a youtube video on the topic of "how much youtubers make". Doug was one of the youtubers featured. This was a while ago (2yrs maybe?) so i'm sure the google algos and payment system has changed. Well.. let's just say he makes A LOT more than I ever expected and enough to move to San Diego to focus on his channel (I think he's an columnist too?). He should be able to afford a researcher to fact check his figures.

Anyway, I've never been a fan of his so I only know a little about his content.

I always thought that '94 NSXs had the 7-spoke 16/17 solaris wheels. I wonder if this was manufactured before some of the changes for '94 were made.

I always thought that '94 NSXs had the 7-spoke 16/17 solaris wheels. I wonder if this was manufactured before some of the changes for '94 were made.

If you bought your NSX at Honda Verno in Japan, you could essentially build your NSX to order. It's likely the original purchaser selected the fat fives instead of the solaris 16/17.

Last edited:
If you bought your NSX at Honda Verno in Japan, you could essentially build your NSX to order. It's likely the original purchaser selected the fat fives instead of the solaris 16/17.

I didn't realize that. Learning new things everyday! Interesting that some people would prefer the fat fives to the solaris 16/17.

It should sell today (or not). They'll probably need a bit of a bid war in the last 3 hrs to get closer to whatever their reserve is.

I think the auction will be hurt by a couple things. One, there's extensive service records but they say no TB/WP service? There's a picture of the door sill which shows the TB service sticker that might not have been filled out, but wouldn't that mean it's been done before? Kind of a misstep on the seller's part where they say there's no record.
_tbBTv0T8i.jpg

They're also in Cali so the buyer will be in for another $8500 if they have to get Cali CARB certification after waiting for four (4) months. That would be a very hard pill for me to swallow. Also why I don't want to live in CA.

They promised paint meter readings which weren't provided. Someone actually took the time to detail the entire underside of the car, dress the plastics for the tunnel cover, but couldn't get a $100 paint depth meter?

Also not doing themselves favors by telling people to order JDM-specific parts from Acura. I'm sure that would go well.

The car is basically museum-quality throughout and was reviewed by Father Douglas himself so it should have everything going for it, just dropping the ball on a few important points.

RNM at $68k, not terribly surprising considering the above. I think they need to do a better job of tying up all the loose ends before someone willing to spend $70k+ comes along. I definitely think it's worth that much plus extra. This was probably one of the most exposed cars on C&B ever, so it would be hard to argue the RNM was from lack of attention. Still sitting on their site for $100k, maybe someone will come along and do some shrewd negotiation.

I just don't see the appeal of a RHD car. I drive my NSX little enough to know that if I had to jump into a RHD car as infrequently as I drive mine I would be very nervous driving it around.

The California thing doesn't bother me as there are 49 other states where you can register this car (have your lawyer create a Montana LLC and register it there). The fact that it is still not registered in the US didn't help the auction. A majority of buyers have no clue what is involved in importing and registering a car like this and probably deem it not worth their while especially at $99k. This car should have been registered and turn-key ready to go.

Unknown TB/WP service would not have been an issue for me. That's a lot easier to sort than the registration thing.

I can see it being cost effective for an AU expat in the US that wants to eventually bring the car to AU. I think it can be done with a year to build up supporting "use" paperwork.... insurance, fuel, and whatever.

How they got the car out of JP for a decent price is what surprises me most. RHD MTs are fairly rare...

I was thinking the same this would bring bigger money in Australia....

I think that's fair, in my experience it became as natural as LHD after a week or two but I drive mine almost every weekend. I'd be more concerned about devaluing it or getting paint damage that some poor shop would have to try and blend.

When I bought mine it had a TX title and dealer tag already and all the import paperwork was surrendered to the Texas DMV, so it was as simple as giving the title to the Georgia DMV and filling out a form since chassis codes won't work for their VIN system. If I remember right, sales tax in CA has to be paid at the time of sale for a dealer-owned car to be delivered in CA, that plus the $8,500 CARB fee is a huge initial hit. GA charged me no sales tax.

Toprank seems to leave the CA reg thing to the buyer no matter the car, likely because if any out of state buyer came in, Toprank would have absorbed several thousand dollars of CARB-compliance cost for no reason, which I would think is required before CA registration. The hard part of getting the car out of JP and past US Customs has already been taken care of, so a buyer wouldn't really need to know much about HS-7, 7501 form, etc.

The Montana thing is getting some bad press recently, especially in GA where there have been difficulties for exotic car owners.

Back