• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1st Gen headlight cages

My pop up headlight cages had been welded at the hinge for a fixed look and I was wondering if you can get the individual parts without buying the whole headlight. I have a service manual and have been to the dealership and neither have been much help.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Did you check amayama already?
Several Parts are at least listed as Single parts

My pop up headlight cages had been welded at the hinge for a fixed look and I was wondering if you can get the individual parts without buying the whole headlight. I have a service manual and have been to the dealership and neither have been much help.

weird...thats like sewing your eyes shut for that sleepy look:confused:......why was that done? or do you mean you had your flipups replaced with flush enclosed lights like marga hills style...

Last edited:
I am assuming that they are welded in the up position - unless the car is never driven at night? If somebody got really creative with welding stuff up I can believe that the dealership will not want to touch them if they are seriously buggered up. There is no repair procedure in the service manual for fixing 'welded in place headlights'.

The 'hinges' are located at the back of the headlights. In addition to the hinge (really a pair of pivots) you have the retractor mechanism which drives the headlights up and down. You could put a tack weld on the pivots to try and hold the headlights up; but, they will be rather floppy unless something is done with the retractor mechanism to hold them in place. Do you still have the retractors mechanisms and are they operable or were they also 'fixed'?

If the pivots at the back of the headlights were just tacked in place it might be best to try and grind the tack welds and restore the operation of the pivots. This might require fabricating a new pivot pin. If the pivots are truly welded up solid you have a problem. The pivot assembly does not appear to be included in the headlight assembly. I don't know where in the parts catalogue it is located. You will have to do some serious searching in the on-line catalogues to find them and see if replacements are still available

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-200...ual/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel--headlight

If your retractor mechanisms have been replaced with something solid or have been otherwise rendered in-operable you have a double sized headache. They are no longer available in North America. As noted by hondasash you will probably need to source them from Amayama.com which may be your best source for most of these parts anyway.

Two suggestions:

1) Post pictures of your headlight assembly with the covers removed so that others can see what creative wonderfulness has been visited on your headlights and advise on possible courses of action.

2) About 10-15 years ago it was trendy to try and 'update' your 2001 and earlier NSX to look like a 2002+ NSX by replacing body parts including the headlight assemblies. There may be some pre 2002 headlight assemblies (and all associated parts) sitting in boxes in garages looking for a new home. If you headlights have been really messed up it may be cheaper to post a wanted to buy add on Prime to see if any used parts are available.

I am assuming that they are welded in the up position - unless the car is never driven at night? If somebody got really creative with welding stuff up I can believe that the dealership will not want to touch them if they are seriously buggered up. There is no repair procedure in the service manual for fixing 'welded in place headlights'.

The 'hinges' are located at the back of the headlights. In addition to the hinge (really a pair of pivots) you have the retractor mechanism which drives the headlights up and down. You could put a tack weld on the pivots to try and hold the headlights up; but, they will be rather floppy unless something is done with the retractor mechanism to hold them in place. Do you still have the retractors mechanisms and are they operable or were they also 'fixed'?

If the pivots at the back of the headlights were just tacked in place it might be best to try and grind the tack welds and restore the operation of the pivots. This might require fabricating a new pivot pin. If the pivots are truly welded up solid you have a problem. The pivot assembly does not appear to be included in the headlight assembly. I don't know where in the parts catalogue it is located. You will have to do some serious searching in the on-line catalogues to find them and see if replacements are still available

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-200...ual/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel--headlight

If your retractor mechanisms have been replaced with something solid or have been otherwise rendered in-operable you have a double sized headache. They are no longer available in North America. As noted by hondasash you will probably need to source them from Amayama.com which may be your best source for most of these parts anyway.

Two suggestions:

1) Post pictures of your headlight assembly with the covers removed so that others can see what creative wonderfulness has been visited on your headlights and advise on possible courses of action.

2) About 10-15 years ago it was trendy to try and 'update' your 2001 and earlier NSX to look like a 2002+ NSX by replacing body parts including the headlight assemblies. There may be some pre 2002 headlight assemblies (and all associated parts) sitting in boxes in garages looking for a new home. If you headlights have been really messed up it may be cheaper to post a wanted to buy add on Prime to see if any used parts are available.

Great reply as usual......the other trend or fad in the import scene years ago was to fix the pop ups half way for a "sleepy" look....

Great reply as usual......the other trend or fad in the import scene years ago was to fix the pop ups half way for a "sleepy" look....

I am unable to cope with these radical style innovations. Similar to the ultra cambered tuner cars rolling around on the wheel's inside rim edge.

Oh my God- really? Glad I missed that one!

Yes, it was a sleepy look with Marga Hills bumper and side skirts. Going back to stock and it looks like the regular stock cage was welded straight.
I am on vacation until Thursday but will take pictures and put them up when I get back.

It's simply mind boggling that someone would take a welder to an NSX to weld the lights "up" when there so many easier ways:
  1. There's a button on the dash. Just leave it on all the time.
  2. Turn the lights on and then pull the fuses for the retractor motors.
  3. Pull the retractor motor fuses and then manually rotate the motors to whatever height you want for the pop-ups - even sleepy! It's detailed in the owner's manual for Pete's sake.

Last edited:
Back