• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$20,000 officially available on 2021 NSX

People often raise this point, yet, at the same time that the NSX came out, Ford released the GT which cost $500K! And Ford seemingly has had no problem selling them (granted, they will only sell something like 1,000 in total).

Because Ford did it differently. Very low limited max production only making 500 units initially guaranteed to people’s specs.

Once they had the order book still full of unfulfilled orders Ford made a total of 750 in three years and added another 250 the fourth year. So they averaged 250 a year, but once again those were customer specific slots and not dealer stock.

Acura initially sold close to 900 the first model year 16/17. The mistake was Acura did not continue to build to order and a lot of dealers had high spec cars most people didn’t want bc the performance of the vehicle is essentially the same at $157k and $206k. Most order both customer and future dealer orders are now around 160-165k in spec.

Last edited:
The Ford GT is a one off story that is hard to use as precedent

The GT had a history of racing victories

The 05/06 version was a visual homage to the previous cars with a stout, mod friendly drivetrain

The New Ford GT was built to be one of those we are sick and tired of the Europeans building the coolest stuff possible and us being laughed at for just being a pony car shop

The New Ford GT also had excellent racing experience

So Americans with coin and some pride flocked to the car

With the super tight packaging and hydraulics, that car will be "interesting to own and maintain" over the long haul

The C8 Vette is just more GM cost cut designed product aimed at volume and value for the dollar, is it a better platform for performance than the C7?, certainly.

Totally agree. Ford GT is a different animal. There is a movie made about its history. Although NSX was featured in Pulp Fiction briefly :D I remember Ford struggling to sell 2005 GT at $140K back in the days but now even used are going for almost $300K.

The Ford GT is a one off story that is hard to use as precedent

The GT had a history of racing victories

The 05/06 version was a visual homage to the previous cars with a stout, mod friendly drivetrain

The New Ford GT was built to be one of those we are sick and tired of the Europeans building the coolest stuff possible and us being laughed at for just being a pony car shop

The New Ford GT also had excellent racing experience

So Americans with coin and some pride flocked to the car

With the super tight packaging and hydraulics, that car will be "interesting to own and maintain" over the long haul

The C8 Vette is just more GM cost cut designed product aimed at volume and value for the dollar, is it a better platform for performance than the C7?, certainly.

I do wonder if Acura had made and marketed the NSX as a limited-edition model (say, 250 per year with a numbered plaque like the other PMC editions) if there wouldn't have been more demand. People love the idea of getting something "special" and that others can't have. I'm sure the bean-counters, in their effort to make the entire NSX project pencil out, projected much higher annual sales than that so to them it would be like, "Why on earth would we limit it to 250 per year when we're going to sell thousands!" Well, we all know how that has turned out...

Totally agree. Ford GT is a different animal. There is a movie made about its history. Although NSX was featured in Pulp Fiction briefly :D I remember Ford struggling to sell 2005 GT at $140K back in the days but now even used are going for almost $300K.

Agree with this. The pedigree and racing heritage the Ford GT carries is no where close to what the NSX can offer. The movie helped its cause even more. Not just any movie but a well made one with a super awesome cast.

Acura dealers had a difficult time selling their limited Zanardi in 1999 (50 or 51 cars depending on who you ask) & was their closest
answer to a JDM Honda type S NSX in North America. Those cars grew hair on showroom floors for so long that
there was finally $5K factory trunk money + whatever the dealer would give up...usually another $5K.

I think I paid $75K + TTL new.

Only salvation is a pre-owned Zanardi has become a rare collector car now @ 20 years later.

Imagine how the first responding Gen 2 owners who stepped up when the '17's first hit feel when a $20K rebate appeared out of nowhere?

Acura screws the pooch right out of the chute....they are just not good at selling a car in that price range. Most dealers have no ability
or are prepared to take an exotic in to complete a trade deal. Usually need to get a "buy bid" that winds up a low ball number and the buyer walks.

I think if Acura made each of us submit a short video of why we would make a good NC1 owner they would have sold more...:tongue:

I think if Acura made each of us submit a short video of why we would make a good NC1 owner they would have sold more...:tongue:
early on I felt Acura corporate didn't care for existing owners much at all. Well, they sorta did for 2015 NSXPO, but not nearly the reception I see with other marques. Oh well... shoulda woulda coulda

early on I felt Acura corporate didn't care for existing owners much at all. Well, they sorta did for 2015 NSXPO, but not nearly the reception I see with other marques. Oh well... shoulda woulda coulda

What did they do, and what did they not do? I'm asking from a position of complete ignorance, both because I wasn't a first-gen owner and I wasn't following the NSX roll-out all that closely.

I can't recall what was happening during First -Gen sale period (Other than I couldn't afford a new one), but do we have more competition for Gen 2 that may have thwarted sales and ultimate success? Case in point, at almost $200K price point, people who can afford NC1 can afford a plethora of new or slightly used exotics such as R8, Huracan, McLaren 570, Artura, 911 variants, Ferrari 458, and may be even a couple C8s. As a new market entrant against these competition, Acura should have offered greater levels of performance or features (more luxury, less weight). Personally, even 650HP with Acura watch would have done the trick without price increase. Hybrid system wasn't sexy enough even though it's starting to be a new thing for Ferrari and McLaren.

I can't recall if there was much competition during First Gen other than being compared to Ferrari and may be Porche unless you want to compare against 300zx, Vr4, Supra, Corvette...

Last edited:

Imagine how the first responding Gen 2 owners who stepped up when the '17's first hit feel when a $20K rebate appeared out of nowhere?...

They were pissed off. I know one such person who bought the NC1 and has subsequently sold it. AHM did a great job of alienating anyone who may have become a repeat NSX owner.

That being said, $20K rebate was significant driver behind my decision to order NC1.

Same, including dealer discount on top and smooth and simple dealer experience. That and being able to rent a 2017 for a day last year and hopefully able to spend some time soon with a 2019+ really made a difference. Otherwise i'd be in the market for a manual GT3 or GT4, or possibly even a used current gen Aston Martin Vantage or DB11.

I was able to test drive an off lease 2017 R8 last year (I think it sold for ~$97K from a local Audi dealer!) shortly after renting the NSX, and the NSX's dynamics made me realize it was in a different league than the R8. I just wish the used 2017's were selling in the same ballpark as that R8 was...

Last edited:
I was able to test drive an off lease 2017 R8 last year (I think it sold for ~$97K from a local Audi dealer!) shortly after renting the NSX, and the NSX's dynamics made me realize it was in a different league than the R8. I just wish the used 2017's were selling in the same ballpark as that R8 was...

$97K is a great price and I presume it wasn't V10 Plus since those used to go for $125 but now almost $140K. Curious to hear more about the driving dynamic between the 2 cars? I test drove 2017 NSX and 2017 V10+ and 2020 V10 Performance and Audi edged out in terms of visceral driving experience. Sadly, I only had about 15 minutes of driving time each so unable to push the cars.

It was a 2017 V10 (non plus). Still, a great deal for what it was. But it just wasn’t as much fun to drive as the NSX, but of course sounded glorious.

What did they do, and what did they not do? I'm asking from a position of complete ignorance, both because I wasn't a first-gen owner and I wasn't following the NSX roll-out all that closely.

What they didn't do was market the bespoke "build it to your exact spec" element as much as they could have, if there had been more options available. By putting "packages" together buyers were forced to have things that perhaps they didn't really want. As production numbers were really so low, virtually any form of individualisation could have been possible, but that was lost on Acura. At that price level, surely the customer can have any paint colour, combination of carbon pieces, seat materials, headliner fabrics, brake calliper colour etc. etc. that are available in the Honda sphere, especially if your car is being built to order?

Dare I say it, but the level of custom order possibilities on JDM first-gen NSX was more comprehensive than the NC1 to date?

Last edited:
Back