• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$20,000 officially available on 2021 NSX

I believe OP meant 4 months to build and I am sure rebate would apply to any configuration. Who knows may be more expensive builds will get a priority in build sequence?

I'm sorry. What does '4 build time' mean? Does the rebate apply to the base as well as the $200k+ configuration? Thanks.

At least when I bought last year, the $20k rebate was on the NSX regardless of configuration, and there was no priority in build order for higher-spec'ed cars over base cars. First come, first served (as it should be).

What I find interesting about the rebate is that, in 1990, the NSX base price was $60,000. Today, that's about $124,000. At the base price of $157,000, the NC1 NSX is $137,000 after the rebate. So, for all the people saying it's overpriced, it's nearly the same price as the NA1 NSX. Just like in 1990, it's an enormous value for what you're getting.

That's a good point, Honcho, but things like this aren't always completely rational/factual.

- At release, most of the cars dealers ordered to put on their showroom floor were $200k+ and many of those had a "market adjustment" on top of that. The unintended consequence was that those who might be natural customers for the NC1, namely NA1/NA2 owners, saw the NC2 as a $200k car.

- Even knowing that $60k in 1990 equates to $124k today, people who bought an NSX back then still think of the NSX as a $60k car. It's unfair, but really hard to get around mentally.

- And putting all that aside, today's base $157k car minus the $20k incentive is $137k, which is still a lot of money to spend on a car (for most of us)! Your typical Acura buyer is in the $30k-$50k buying range for all their other products, so $137k is a big step up. And your typical sports car buyer in the $137k range has likely already owned Porsches or Benzes or whatever, and is unlikely to make a major brand switch without a really good reason. Part of that is comfort with what they know, part of it is badge snobbery, and part of it is simply unease with spending that much money on something unknown.

Personally I agree with you that the NC1 is an enormous value, which is why I stretched my budget to buy one. In cars as with many things I'm a value buyer, meaning I will spend more for a given product as long as I feel I'm getting value--in general I tend to be a high-end but not top-of-the-line consumer. I didn't realize just how amazing a car the NC1 was until I got a chance to drive one, which only happened because of a lucky set of circumstances. Most prospective buyers can't even SEE an NC1, let alone drive one, due to how scarce they are. So no matter how good a value it is, there's no way for consumers to find out about it.

What I find interesting about the rebate is that, in 1990, the NSX base price was $60,000. Today, that's about $124,000. At the base price of $157,000, the NC1 NSX is $137,000 after the rebate. So, for all the people saying it's overpriced, it's nearly the same price as the NA1 NSX. Just like in 1990, it's an enormous value for what you're getting.
Personally, I think it's tough to equate it in such a simple way. Yes, I agree it's a good value compared to what other new car you can buy now and in that respect it has stayed true to the 1991 NA1 where a Ferrari 348/355 was more expensive but a Supra/300Z was cheaper during that time. However, the wealth gap has increased since then and relative wages have been stagnant. So the buying power of the average person in the price range of a NC1 is arguably diminished or from a much smaller cohort. I mean... the rich have many options in the upper supercar echelons but the middle class may be more inclined to buy a Supra or equivalent (or a used supercar) considering their wages have remained relatively stagnant.

Many ways this can argued IMHO. With many data points to support each side. Not an easy subject to conclude but easily debated :(

For me, I struggled finding a comparable brand new car at $135K that offers AWD, performance, reliability, and exclusivity as NC1. A few cars that popped up during my search were 992 C4S, M8, GTR but none of them caught my attention as NC1. R8 was the most comparable but this was $185k - $200K (i,e, you can get a NC1 + nice $50K beater). That being said, $20K rebate was significant driver behind my decision to order NC1.

Last edited:
For me, I struggled finding a comparable brand new car at $135K that offers AWD, performance, reliability, and exclusivity as NC1. A few cars that popped up during my search were 992 C4S, M8, GTR but none of them caught my attention as NC1. R8 was the most comparable but this was $185k - $200K (i,e, you can get a NC1 + nice $50K beater). That being said, $20K rebate was significant driver behind my decision to order NC1.
Sorry OT but when will get yours? I'm excited for you.

i didn't realize the rebate could still fall thru after you order. I suppose you don't fully pay for it until you sign off upon arrival. You just made me realized i have not ordered a vehicle in quite some time. Especially one with a rebate.

The dollar inflation thing is kind of soft. It applies to a basket of commodities, not NSX or Mid Engine Ferrari purchases.

Back then, a 348 started about $95K. Today an F8 starts at about $275K, so nearly triple.

Much of the general squawk-athon about the Gen 2 were from Gen 1 owners who either didn't like the heavy hybrid part about the new car, the price or both.

The value hasn't really been an issue, unless it's from the C8/Hellcat/Mustang/Camaro folks.

The general target audience for the Gen 2 car is really neither of these groups and as it has been said many times, the target audience has been buying other stuff, much of it higher end than the NSX.

The dollar inflation thing is kind of soft. It applies to a basket of commodities, not NSX or Mid Engine Ferrari purchases.

Back then, a 348 started about $95K. Today an F8 starts at about $275K, so nearly triple.

Much of the general squawk-athon about the Gen 2 were from Gen 1 owners who either didn't like the heavy hybrid part about the new car, the price or both.

The value hasn't really been an issue, unless it's from the C8/Hellcat/Mustang/Camaro folks.

The general target audience for the Gen 2 car is really neither of these groups and as it has been said many times, the target audience has been buying other stuff, much of it higher end than the NSX.

That is an excellent summation. I liked my 91 and loved my modified 2001. The NC1 in my mind is the perfect replacement as it pushes the technology and is ever so drivable.

Last edited:
Just like in 1990, it's an enormous value for what you're getting.

Eh, I don't know if I would quite go that far, especially with the C8 Corvette now being available. Even compared to the R8 (which now has a MSRP of $143K), the NSX doesn't really seem like "enormous value".

Eh, I don't know if I would quite go that far, especially with the C8 Corvette now being available. Even compared to the R8 (which now has a MSRP of $143K), the NSX doesn't really seem like "enormous value".

AWD was a must for me so R8 entrance price was $197K. Granted during year-end, some dealers were offering $20K+ off MSRP.

i didn't realize the rebate could still fall thru after you order. I suppose you don't fully pay for it until you sign off upon arrival. You just made me realized i have not ordered a vehicle in quite some time. Especially one with a rebate.

I was actually being facetious - more than likely rebate won't drop off. But keep in mind, this amount is contingent upon getting financing through AFS and I made it clear that I don't buy if I can't get the rebate.

I drove a 2021 R8 532HP last month Base RWD and it was $156k with just the premium package $7400 which is what anyone would get. Very equivalent to base NSX.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]Premium Package
[/COLOR]
  • Alcantara Headliner
  • Extended Leather Package
  • Bang & Olufsen Sound System
  • Illuminated Door Sill Inlays

I would never get rid of my Gen 2 for it. NSX has a way better chassis, acceleration, and vehicle dynamics and tech.

The sound is subjective as I prefer turbo spool and blow off valves which you get with the NSX.

The V10 in the R8 is good, but its nowhere near the 5.0 Gallardo or LFA good. Those were V10 legends.

The R8 interior was worse than the NSX for a $160k car.

The NSX base has like 90% of the interior covered in Leather and Alcantara and for $3k you get the carbon steering wheel and alcantara headliner.

Never understood how people step into a NSX and say the interior is bad when for $160k its gives you the most in its class in that price range.

If the NSX is overpriced for the tech at 573hp than the R8 is an even more rip off with just 532hp.

The C8 corvette is a different experience in driving and ownership. A mass produced car vs limited hand built production.

If you want cheaper performance at the expense of exclusivity and long term value the C8 is a substitute, but there is something different and more special about owning a car more exclusive and low in production. To me the NSX represents what the Ford GT is to Ford. Special low production car that is a hand built work of art.

Last edited:

This makes me wonder. What if Acura went all in. Priced the NC1 at $200k but also didn't skimp on anything like for example using the interior of the pre-production concept (that interior was AMAZING relatively speaking) or used more carbon to lighten it by 300# or so.

At the moment, it does exist in this quasi no-man's land in terms of pricing.

EDIT: Oh, and didn't call it an "NSX"

All is is different to many folks

To me having the car miss it's launch date was dooming (Ferrari 488 on the ground, NSX built to compete with 458 specs)

Then, no nose lifter and electric folding mirrors and weak customization offering were the bigger problems.

This makes me wonder. What if Acura went all in. Priced the NC1 at $200k but also didn't skimp on anything like for example using the interior of the pre-production concept (that interior was AMAZING relatively speaking) or used more carbon to lighten it by 300# or so.

At the moment, it does exist in this quasi no-man's land in terms of pricing.

EDIT: Oh, and didn't call it an "NSX"

I think it would be worse off. Acura/Honda has nothing in this price point nor consistent buyers in this market.
For example when Audi launched the R8 they already had a customer base paying above or near $100K+ for cars. It was easier to generate excitement within their brand.
From a marketing standpoint any "NSX" has to perform conquest sales from other existing platforms/companies as Acura/Honda have vehicles in the 35-60k range and nothing remotely in the 100k+ range.
The NSX also does not have a long standing history or heritage like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche or even the GTR etc. People at this level want status and will pay more for the Lambo Badge and styling even though its full of Audi parts.
People paid more for a starting 205k MSRP 580-2 Huracan that was slower than the NC1.
This car appeals to very few people. Even as much as a blockbuster the GTR was when released it moved maybe 1,000 units a year at first. The NSX is averaging 200 or so a year. R8 moves 700ish within the US.
With limited capacity they're pressed for 1100 a year roughly. Even if the car had 800hp I doubt it would help. The weight of the car is not that much as most cars are close to 3700 without hybrid systems. It has a competitive power to weight ratio.
The first Gen NSX HAD to be light bc they were targeting a Power to Weight Ratio close to the 328 (2800lbs 270hp) at the time and competitive with the upcoming 348 (300hp 3300lbs) and Japanese companies were limited to 280hp.
The NSX gained roughly 600lbs over the first Gen and when you think about the change points its not all the Hybrid System.
Bigger Wheels, Bigger Brakes, Twin turbo system, dry sump, and intercoolers and exchangers, safety standards, etc. It still has a much better power to weight ratio and a competitive one within its class. It doesn’t feel like a 3800lb car at all. My GTR is the same weight, but that feels like a tank. The NSX is very very nimble.

Last edited:
That's a good point, Honcho, but things like this aren't always completely rational/factual.

- At release, most of the cars dealers ordered to put on their showroom floor were $200k+ and many of those had a "market adjustment" on top of that. The unintended consequence was that those who might be natural customers for the NC1, namely NA1/NA2 owners, saw the NC2 as a $200k car.

- Even knowing that $60k in 1990 equates to $124k today, people who bought an NSX back then still think of the NSX as a $60k car. It's unfair, but really hard to get around mentally.

- And putting all that aside, today's base $157k car minus the $20k incentive is $137k, which is still a lot of money to spend on a car (for most of us)! Your typical Acura buyer is in the $30k-$50k buying range for all their other products, so $137k is a big step up. And your typical sports car buyer in the $137k range has likely already owned Porsches or Benzes or whatever, and is unlikely to make a major brand switch without a really good reason. Part of that is comfort with what they know, part of it is badge snobbery, and part of it is simply unease with spending that much money on something unknown.

Personally I agree with you that the NC1 is an enormous value, which is why I stretched my budget to buy one. In cars as with many things I'm a value buyer, meaning I will spend more for a given product as long as I feel I'm getting value--in general I tend to be a high-end but not top-of-the-line consumer. I didn't realize just how amazing a car the NC1 was until I got a chance to drive one, which only happened because of a lucky set of circumstances. Most prospective buyers can't even SEE an NC1, let alone drive one, due to how scarce they are. So no matter how good a value it is, there's no way for consumers to find out about it.

Fantastic analysis! I'm getting closer myself- Mrs. Honcho now said she wants a Valencia Red one.

btw- you need an avatar! Your custom Nord Grey at the PMC is a cool one... :D

I think it would be worse off. Acura/Honda has nothing in this price point nor consistent buyers in this market.
For example when Audi launched the R8 they already had a customer base paying above or near $100K+ for cars. It was easier to generate excitement within their brand.
From a marketing standpoint any "NSX" has to perform conquest sales from other existing platforms/companies as Acura/Honda have vehicles in the 35-60k range and nothing remotely in the 100k+ range.

People often raise this point, yet, at the same time that the NSX came out, Ford released the GT which cost $500K! And Ford seemingly has had no problem selling them (granted, they will only sell something like 1,000 in total).

Back