• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$20,000 officially available on 2021 NSX

Actually the way Corporate management allocates costs was based upon the old accounting system adopted back in the 1900s based upon Burden Rates. I ended up closing down some plant locations utilizing this archaic system back when I was in Corporate management during the 1980s. Those decisions ended up being the wrong ones. The newer system is referred to as activity based costing and considers true costs. It is still in it’s infancy having been around for only around 25 plus years.

So when you look at what you are doing you should not allocate costs in the traditional manner. Let’s not forget that Honda is not a large automotive company when contrasted to the majors. A car like the NSX serves many purposes that are often missed by consumers like ourselves. There are many other benefits that Honda/Acura can take advantage of. We think we know what is happening and what needs to be done but don’t realize that our point of view is minimal.

Last edited:
I've been taking the bee out since spring has sprung and it is still a ufo..but the attention from young and old alike is more a nostalgia than OMG...I think that is the zeitgeist behind the most recent Acura commercials.

I've been taking the bee out since spring has sprung and it is still a ufo..but the attention from young and old alike is more a nostalgia than OMG...I think that is the zeitgeist behind the most recent Acura commercials.

I agree, I have mixed feelings about the new marketing. "Less talk, more drive" was a questionable tagline but I was willing to give it a chance. I do like that, unlike competitors like Lexus and BMW, Acura isn't relying on laughable voice-overs and ads that focus on a perceived luxury lifestyle (which they have to do because the products themselves are no longer superior in any way). And the nostalgia of showing off vehicles like the Integra Type-R and the original NSX certainly appeals to people like me who've loved the Acura brand since it came out and who lusted after those very vehicles.

What I have no idea about is whether or not those ads are resonating with real car-buyers who are either too young to know what an ITR is (except maybe in some video game), who have spent their car-buying lives so far leasing craptacular Bimmers and Audis every few years, or who are just getting to a financial point in their lives where they're ready to step up from the mainstream brands. Jon Ikeda has been clear that he wants to position Acura as a performance-oriented brand, but so far the new products released under his watch have been middling in that regard. To stand out in today's marketplace, vehicles like the TLX Type S would have had to blow away the competition... and they don't. Personally I think they do what Acura has always done, which is to offer competitive performance and features in attractive bodywork, at a very reasonable price point.

To really succeed, Acura has to have the products, the dealership network, and the marketing to somehow stand out. For the past several years their reputation has been okay but nothing special, so how can they demonstrate that they're now worthy of consideration by a broader swath of the buying public? Right now Acura has to compete not only with Lexus, BMW, MB, and Audi but also Hyundai/Genesis and even Honda itself (since their mainstream products have gotten so good). Performance COULD be a key part of that differentiation, but in my opinion they would need to really dial up the performance to earn attention in that area.

Lowering the price to get more incremental sales is not a strategy that Honda will pursue. If they lower the price to make you happy they will piss off all the previous buyers. I get it, if the car were $50k cheaper, more would buy it. You are focused in a singular way. Honda is a conservative proud Japanese company that has a history and more importantly a tradition that means everything to them. Traditional Japanese companies would rather die then lose face. I have traveled and worked all over the World and have the greatest admiration for the Japanese Character and resolve. They might not always prevail but they do what they do with pride and integrity.

I once tried to hire a Japanese business acquaintance and friend to work as a general manager of a new organization we were starting. No amount of money would persuade him to leave and we were good friends. He saw the opportunity as promising but felt he had a responsibility to the organization that had supported him in his early career efforts. While I know things are changing, I will always remember how character and tradition determined outcomes.

Last edited:
the CTR is considered a lot of car/performance for the money.If the PMC wants the nsx to have that reputation then they don't need to do much more than what we are hoping for in the other threads...turn up the wick/some ^^ interior options ect...At 150-170k as it currently sits it is just overlooked or bought by guys who really think about the construction and tech. much more than the average exotic buyer. It says something when the guys who have lots of cars and collections ect buy the nsx to dd , as such it becomes more of a high performance conveyance than a cherished hookah pipe.:tongue:

Not sure what accounting method needs to occur but introducing $20-30k+ incentives every other year works the same to us normal people. If they increased that incentive to $50k off, I don't care if they keep the MSRP façade the same to keep owners happy? :D

And CTR still overheats... 4yrs later. Though it was super cool that they added the full Honda Sensing package in 2020.

Last edited:
the CTR is considered a lot of car/performance for the money.If the PMC wants the nsx to have that reputation then they don't need to do much more than what we are hoping for in the other threads...turn up the wick/some ^^ interior options ect...At 150-170k as it currently sits it is just overlooked or bought by guys who really think about the construction and tech. much more than the average exotic buyer. It says something when the guys who have lots of cars and collections ect buy the nsx to dd , as such it becomes more of a high performance conveyance than a cherished hookah pipe.:tongue:[/QUOTE

I think you nailed it with your comment “At 150-170k as it currently sits it ........is bought by guys who really think about the construction and tech. much more than the average exotic buyer”

I did that for you:biggrin:

From what I was told before I got cut off from my info source, the trunk money comes from a marketing budget.

That may be a factor in why that appears to be offered (somewhat quietly) instead of adjusting MSRP.

They're selling under 100 cars a year in the US at this point, so less that $2 million cost for the year for the marketing department.

I think Honda needs to buy some bitcoin....then we'll see the type RRRRRRR

Last edited:
From what I was told before I got cut off from my info source, the trunk money comes from a marketing budget.

That may be a factor in why that appears to be offered (somewhat quietly) instead of adjusting MSRP.

They're selling under 100 cars a year in the US at this point, so less that $2 million cost for the year for the marketing department.
Sorry if my vernacular isn't up to date. It happens a lot with me!

"trunk money" = the $20-30k rebate? If so, interesting that it comes from the mktg budget. You'd think they'd have readjusted that each year but perhaps the overall mkgt budget is based on the entire model's lifespan. Just interesting to me why they wouldn't just spend it to get more sales. Oh what I would do to be a fly on the wall for that board mtg.

Spoke with my local NSX Expert or whatever they are called. Said the rebates are gone and there is no official trunk money. He’s sold three NSX for delivery in May, June and July and that each has paid sticker.

I was kind of shocked he said that. Either new owner doesn’t care and just wants the car, or they don’t read forums.

He did also say he can get a Nouvelle Blue done if someone actually orders but that would be a one off. I kind of like the Long Beach blue better.

Also do your dealers pick up your NSX and perform the yearly state inspection and bring it back into garage for you ? Said it’s their standard service.

I had no idea.

I told him I like stopping in and walking through the Acura, Honda, Porsche and Audi dealerships and like the fancy Porsche coffee machine.

Last edited:
Sorry if my vernacular isn't up to date. It happens a lot with me!

"trunk money" = the $20-30k rebate? If so, interesting that it comes from the mktg budget. You'd think they'd have readjusted that each year but perhaps the overall mkgt budget is based on the entire model's lifespan. Just interesting to me why they wouldn't just spend it to get more sales. Oh what I would do to be a fly on the wall for that board mtg.

Confirming that trunk money and the $20K are one in the same.

The Acura division is confusing to me period.

They seem to be trying to tread water till full electrification comes.

Honda in general planned for demand economic slowdown and missed the Covid, get me a vehicle and the nicer the better craze.

Lots of consumers are under informed and that is to the advantage of dealerships

I haven't heard of a dealer picking up the car to do inspections.

Illinois only has periodic smog testing.

There are lots of crappy Cry Slurs on the road here with abundant rust and the wheels falling off.

Spoke with my local NSX Expert or whatever they are called. Said the rebates are gone and there is no official trunk money. He’s sold three NSX for delivery in May, June and July and that each has paid sticker.

I guess people will chime in as they are taking deliveries of 2021 but how can they "terminate" rebates when OP just posted that rebates just started (albeit quietly) in March.

Last edited:
obviously dealers hope that a customer is going to walk in, say "i want to buy an NSX" and be happy with $5k off MSRP.

i would love to sell an NSX at MSRP, but that isn't the reality of the situation. buyers in this area (norcal) preface their emails with "i know acura is offering 20k off" lol.

obviously dealers hope that a customer is going to walk in, say "i want to buy an NSX" and be happy with $5k off MSRP.

i would love to sell an NSX at MSRP, but that isn't the reality of the situation. buyers in this area (norcal) preface their emails with "i know acura is offering 20k off" lol.

Is it a lot of work to get the $20K rebate other than the buyer who needs to fill out credit application/credit check? Unless the dealers can quietly pocket the $20K incentive on customer's behalf, I don't see why dealers wouldn't want customers know about this. Of course, this is assuming we are dealing with competent SA who knows what he or she's doing. Local dealer refused to look into this rebate mainly because they had a used 2017 for sale for $120's and they'd prefer to move that first.

how does this rebate work since the cars aren't even built? Do you just specify the build/options, and they'll order it or you just take whatever is coming in?

Back