• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

> 20 billion music tracks downloaded illegally in the last year

queenlives said:
i was in combat school and on my way to southeast asia to fight them damn commies so we could survive and live to listen to these new-fangled mp9's they're working on.

I thought we lost that war. The commies were never a real threat and over 50,000 American soldiers died needlessly. That war could have been won in a week by simply obliterating Hanoi. But no, LBJ was too scared of the impotent Russians and wouldn't allow the military to do their job. At least Nixon carpet bombed them to the peace table once or twice but he was a big sissy too.

Oh Brother:rolleyes: Here we go:rolleyes:

Let the flame wars begin:frown: :rolleyes: :frown:

arsonfire.jpg

Ben said:
Whoa, is this for life? Or just for the term of probation?

This is for life as long as I live in the United States unless the POTUS feels like granting me a pardon. I'm not on probation.

Ski_Banker said:
I got a free Queen CD with my Wayne's World Happy Meal once! I threw the shit away though.

I'm starting to worry about you. You toss away a Queen CD but listen to U2? Are you musically illiterate?
Freddie's been dead for 15 years now but the sounds of the gasses seeping out of his decomposing corpse still sound better than Bono singing. Not to mention that Brain May's forgotten more about guitar playing than The Edge will ever know.

Seeing Freddie front Queen in concert was just incredible.

robr said:
I had this same attitude with software. It cost me a quarter million $$$ in attorney fees and 16+ months of my freedom (not to mention 3+ years pre and post-trial probation restrictions). I can't vote, most countries will not allow inside their borders, and I can't own a firearm.

The DOJ isn't screwing around with this stuff regardless of how ridiculous the laws may seem, and it doesn't matter to them that "everyone else is doing it".

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anything said here, all I'm saying is be careful out there. I wouldn't admit this stuff publicly because if somehow you're ever the one in front of a judge, this will all be used against you.

Care to give out any details on what you did? just curious

Hugh said:
I'm starting to worry about you. You toss away a Queen CD but listen to U2? Are you musically illiterate?
Freddie's been dead for 15 years now but the sounds of the gasses seeping out of his decomposing corpse still sound better than Bono singing. Not to mention that Brain May's forgotten more about guitar playing than The Edge will ever know.

Seeing Freddie front Queen in concert was just incredible.

I see queens singing every day down here - incredible is not how I would describe it. "Fabulous" maybe... :eek:

Hugh said:
I thought we lost that war. The commies were never a real threat and over 50,000 American soldiers died needlessly. That war could have been won in a week by simply obliterating Hanoi. But no, LBJ was too scared of the impotent Russians and wouldn't allow the military to do their job. At least Nixon carpet bombed them to the peace table once or twice but he was a big sissy too.
ain't it the truth (and, of course) you get that this part was said tongue in cheek, right?

H-carWizKid said:
OOOOH- that stinks of smugness my friend. You are assuming a little too much too.<snip>
based on your answers, it appears you are correct. mea culpa.

<snip>As far as the great file sharing debate...

Funny how no one gives a shit if I borrow my buddies CD book with over 300 albums and upload them into my computer- but if we "share" them accross our broadband connection we become a criminals... Am I not stealing if I borrow my buddies CD's and rip the content?
so it would seem

What is the threshold?
not being an industry expert, i can only assume a couple of reasons.

<snip>

Nah, better to sit around and bitch while the market gets pulled out from under them by a computer company?!?!?
yup, typical legacy business model resisting market force changes.

I listen to Music from just about every genre, and it is all available somewhere for free, but I never implied that I was downloading illegally, I just said the "artists" on Mtv don't appear to be hurting for cash.
re-reading your post, i can see this is a true statement.

<snip>
Screw the big stars- they can afford it. If they want my money they better produce something worth hearing, and worth buying.
i'm sorry, what are you arguing they can afford?

the local scene-

Local musicians need your support to become big musicians, and are often selling their CD's on the grass roots level, often with only a few hundred pressings which are privately funded. All I was suggesting is that there is a lot of great music possibly in your proximity, but then that depends on your taste, and in that instance it is a "too each their own" scenario isn't it? I was just offering an alternative to folks who don't want to support "Big Artists". So sue me.
gotcha. since both of our sons are musicians (sax and oboe) without fail, each time we come across local musicians selling music from limited-production runs, we buy their cd / cassettes to encourage them to keep going and / or at least get some form of return on their years of practice and $'s invested to produce their "product".

would it be ok with you if i held off on filing the legal docs until we got to something of a more onerous discussion, like whether freddie's decomposition gases produce a better sound than bono's actual singing? (and you take the bono-side of the discussion?)

i've parked the high horse in the corral for a bit :)

So back to the subject...

Hugh said:
T... The music industry can go fuck themselves…
I agree. For years I searched the stores and outlets for favourite music I heard on the radio. Ran up against “don’t know that song” or “ not available” or “we don’t have that in our database” or “ we plain don’t have a friggen data base” etc. I gave up and listened to my hissing cassettes I had taped from the radio years and years ago.

Then we all got ADSL or similar and I installed Kazaa. What a godsend. I found 99% of the music I wanted. Easily.
And LOTS of other music I would normally not have bothered to look for. AND I don’t have to listen to the “music” radio stations TALK all the time instead of playing music! Talk talk talk commercial talk talk is all they do.
What a relief we have the internet and illegal downloads. This has saved the music industry and made it way bigger that it was before. I personally have bought CDs that I never would have bought had I not had Kazaa or similar.
Also, I hate having to buy a whole album for one song too. The music industry is a joke. The artists are good.

btcog82 said:
People, you may wanna' remember this...Don't admit to doing anything illegal on public forums. IT CAN BE USED AGAINST YOU!
BIG BROTHER IS ALWAYS WATCHING:wink:

So we feel good admitting we would carpet bomb or nuke a bunch of people and families, but we can’t admit we have 25gigs of mp3? :smile: :smile: :smile: We even admit we have a “Big Brother” (Homeland Security) an unconstitutional Gestapo KGB STASI :cool: type organisation and its OK!
Whoa, I guess that’s our world now…:eek: :eek:
:smile: (please notice the light-hearted mood I’m saying this in with lots of smileys etc...not trying to start a row here):smile: :smile:
Kazaa is dead. Long live Kazaa!

710 said:
<snip> Kazaa is dead. Long live Kazaa!
kazaa lives - under a paid model:
"update A multimillion-dollar settlement is putting Kazaa on the straight and narrow, but it might not be enough to put the file-sharing service on the road to recovery.

Once a bane of the recording industry for its popularity as a place to get music without paying for it, Kazaa now will begin using filtering technology to prevent its users from distributing files that infringe on copyrights. Its parent company, Sharman Networks, will pay more than $100 million to global record labels EMI Group, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music and Warner Music.

The out-of-court settlement puts an end to the legal proceedings brought by the record companies against Kazaa in Australia and the U.S., according to a deal announced Thursday by the Recording Industry Association of America and the International Federation for the Phonographic Industry.

"This is a victory for anyone in a creative industry that has had their works stolen and distributed through an illegitimate P2P network," said David Munns, vice chairman at EMI.

It also spares Kazaa the fate that befell another well-known peer-to-peer site, at least in the short term. Just over a year ago, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that file-sharing companies could be held responsible for illicit content that passed through their sites, subverting a 2003 verdict by a lower court that decentralized downloading networks were legal. It was a decision that doomed Grokster and set a tough precedent for future face-offs between peer-to-peer networks and the recording industry.

Then, in September 2005, Australia's Federal Court ruled that Sharman was guilty of facilitating widespread copyright infringement by distributing software that allowed for the illegal spread of media files. Sharman tried to appease the situation in December by cutting off Australian access to Kazaa, but its executives were subsequently threatened with jail time when record industry representatives initiated a motion for contempt of court proceedings.

Unlike Grokster, Kazaa does not plan to close. Instead, it will switch to a service for paid legal content while maintaining its distributed peer-to-peer infrastructure.

"It's going to offer licensed files over the Kazaa Media Desktop," said Phil Armstrong, a U.S. spokesman for Sharman. No decision has been made yet on whether the new Kazaa will choose a subscription-based business model like Napster or charge for individual downloads as Apple Computer's iTunes Music Store does. Armstrong estimates that this decision will be made within the next few weeks.

The settlement is actually something of an anticlimax. For years, the recording industry has been doggedly working to stamp out music piracy, going after everyone from peer-to-peer sites to dozens of universities and thousands of individual downloaders, and has won repeatedly in the courtroom. At the same time, paid services like iTunes have surged in popularity and are helping to define a new generation of accessing music over the Internet.

In the burgeoning field of online video, meanwhile, peer-to-peer stalwarts such as BitTorrent are also feeling the heat and switching to paid services.

Whether Kazaa can make a go of it as a paid service remains up in the air. Certainly, such a transition hasn't been a guarantee of success. Napster, for instance, is a far cry from its glory days as the destination for unpaid music downloads. Peer-to-peer networks like Mashboxx, designed from the outset to be law-abiding, have yet to make much headway.

"The evidence today suggests that P2P services were successful because they were free. We're still waiting for an example of a P2P service that can succeed by selling legitimate downloads," said Roger McNamee, co-founder and general partner of several venture capital firms including Integral Capital Partners and Elevation Partners, which targets media and entertainment investments. U2's Bono is also a partner in Elevation.
In other news:

* PC makers rev up with Core 2 Duo
* Chat rooms could face expulsion
* Long haul ahead for Zune tunes
* News.com Extra: Video games used to treat Iraqi war vets
* Video: A virtual puppy to call your own

Rivals in the Net music business also took a wait-and-see attitude.

"This settlement clearly allows them into the game, but it's a pretty competitive landscape now," said Tim Westergren, founder of Pandora, a 7-month-old online radio and music discovery engine that doesn't charge its members.

"It's hard to draw any real conclusions about a brand's strength as a paid service, if its reputation has been built on giving things away for free," he added.

And Kazaa itself isn't the force it once was. In May, only 6 percent of all peer-to-peer network downloads took place through that service, according to the NPD Group. Once the most popular peer-to-peer service on the Internet, it has since shrunk considerably in the face of legal troubles and spyware allegations.

David Card, vice president and senior analyst at Jupiter Research, is skeptical about Kazaa's chances. "It's going to be extremely difficult to convert a file-sharing network into a legitimate business," he said.

Besides going up against a glut of services offering legal music downloads, from iTunes to MTV's recently launched Urge, and illegal file-swapping sites based overseas, it faces this sobering reality, Card said: Its remaining base of users isn't a loyal one.

"This is not about file-sharing and peer-to-peer; it's about free music," he said. "And free music is still offshore."

CNET News.com's Stefanie Olsen contributed to this report. "

Why and how do we determine how others should live and how much they should make. You are worth what they pay you. Actually, I should say your work is worth what they pay you and what you accept.

Music listening is not an essential part of daily living. Yes, $15 -$20 a CD is kind of expensive and I am glad there is iTunes store for me to select an individual song for purchase. I lived with my radio with my favorite stations when I thought CDs were too expensive.

The music industry will do whatever necessary to make the most profit as you and I will do.What is wrong with that? Believe me, if people stop buying those "expensive" CDs, the price will drop. SUPPLY AND DEMAND!

Good.
How many awesome bands have been screwed by the record industry? Its about time the industry gets screwed back.

jond said:
Good.
How many awesome bands have been screwed by the record industry? Its about time the industry gets screwed back.
an interesting perspective: turn about = fair play.

jalnjr said:
interesting thread.... btw the new tom petty album sucks big time

No surprise there. What do you think killed Roy Orbison? Put yourself in his place standing in front of a microphone for hours on end in a recording stuido with Tom Petty on one side of him and Bob Dylan on the other side for the Traveling Wilbury sessions. If I had those 2 voices in both of my ears for that amount of time, I'd drop dead too.

Hugh said:
Luckily for you there are numerous DVDs out there with Queen live. :)
and i have them all :) (of course) also have pal vhs's... but you and i know they would only begin to approach having seen fred / the "real" queen in person.

Hugh said:
No surprise there. What do you think killed Roy Orbison? Put yourself in his place standing in front of a microphone for hours on end in a recording stuido with Tom Petty on one side of him and Bob Dylan on the other side for the Traveling Wilbury sessions. If I had those 2 voices in both of my ears for that amount of time, I'd drop dead too.
an excellent point....

queenlives said:
would it be ok with you if i held off on filing the legal docs until we got to something of a more onerous discussion, like whether freddie's decomposition gases produce a better sound than bono's actual singing? (and you take the bono-side of the discussion?)

i've parked the high horse in the corral for a bit :)

Ok, so I expected we would have an understanding about the file sharing issue, but to open the Bono vs Freddy debate?

Come on man! I am not a huge Queen fan, but I wouldn't knock it.

I have seen U2 in concert 3 times (including All That You Can't Leave Behind)

I will say this- U2 has a few powerful songs, but they are capable of creating "Lemons" (Think early to mid 90's- WTF was that?)

To each their own.

Lately I am listening to the lyrical twistings of Mos Def, balanced by the Southern Rawk stylings of the Drive By Truckers, and the bass driven metal poundings of Tool, and A Perfect Circle. A pretty diverse list, but Queen is noticably absent. When I go to the classics it is usually Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers or Jimi Hendrix- for whatever reason, i was never drawn to "Arena Rock".

To be fair: I think it was the breif resurrection of "Bohemian Rhapsody" during the whole Wayne's World phenomenon that killed Queen for me, but my Girlfriend apparently loves it- she and her brothers broke into song when it came on the radio in our rental truck a few weeks ago. I thought I was going to puke.

There were a couple songs on the Iron Eagle soundtrack that I liked though...

Summary: I doubt we have much in common regarding taste in music, but I offer respect for your choices, and request the same in return.

I now return you to the ongoing sage of debate...

Enjoy.

Back