• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2002 Rear Valence upgrade w/SS headers and exhaust?

Just got my valence back from paint and took a quick look under the car. I have DC headers and exhaust and it looks like getting to some of the bolts for the valence might reguire removal of the exhaust.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thank You

-Jeff-

You have to pull the bumper cap to install the rear valance. I know because I did the same thing. It's best if you have a buddy and some form of padding to set this on when your working. It's definitely a two man operation if you don't want to accidentally scratch the paint on the car. There are some nuts which are located in the back of the trunk area, some in the wheel well, and under the bumper behind the muffler plus a connector for the license plate light. The muffler doesn't have to be removed. It helps if you have the manual to show you all the fastner locations.

You will also have to buy the center bracket behind the license plate which is different. You should also notice that the later model side bracket in the wheel well is different. There is an additional support. You can easily make the third support from flat stock steel available at some hardware stores. Bolt it in where the center section hole is. You can also buy the bracket from the dealer but they are not cheap.

I think there may be a link to instructions at how to do this on the site but I'm not sure what it is.

Good luck.

Jeff,

If you need some help, let me know. I can offer a helping hand. This is my way of returning the favor from the detailing work you did for me last year. :biggrin: Thanks.

John
'91 Red/Ivory:

dont need to remove exhaust. need to remove bumper !!!

I just reinstalled my oem rear valence last night.. I had a cut out version before exposing the entire exhaust..

I've done it once before and It still took 2 hours of solid working time by myself.

Make sure you have a towel or blanket around to set your bumper down on the floor to work on.

you have to remove a lot of bolts to get the bumper off. 6 bolts / nut on each side and 6 nut for the bumper (2 nut is actually in the inside of the trunk.) so that make 18 bolt\nuts.

3 bolts to remove the metal part of the bumper from the plastic.

Then there is the screw that holds the valence. it is about 18 screws or so that hold the valence with the bumper cover.

Download the service manual.. at lease print out the body / bumper page for better understanding of the bumper assembly.

Have fun..

ATERPAK said:
....You should also notice that the later model side bracket in the wheel well is different. There is an additional support. ....

Are you sure Al? There is the same part number for the side brackets for all years 91-05 .......

Back