• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2005 NSX Leaking Gas

Shortly after my 15k service I began to notice a noxious fuel odor in the cabin as well as out whenever I drove the car. I drove the car to the dealer and the svc. rep and mechanic acknowledged the smell and ran a test. They said it could not be leaking because is passed all tests. They even checked the sensors.

After several more incidents of Valets and friends smelling the odor and many calls to the dealership I really thought I was going crazy.

Finally last week I noticed a faded area on y garage floor. While I felt nothing to the touch I did smell fuel. I called the dealer and the rep and mechanic agreed there was a problem. After taking the car they finally found the leak in a fuel hose hose.

Apparently Acura does not have the part in stock and now I am waiting for them to make one which will take several weeks. For safety reasons they will not cover 3rd party repairs/manufac. of fuel lines, which I can agree with. I would however think they would stock a fuel line from a 2005 car.

The cabin (carpets, seats, etc) and engine bay smell like fuel, which if it were a fifties or sixties muscle car I would understand, but for a 2005 with under 25k miles I am an not to happy.

Anyway to the purpose of this email: Has anyone ever heard of this happening. The dealer states the damage could not have been done during the 15k service as the work they did could not have had an effect on the fuel line.

THX

Quite unusual for a 2005.

Which fuel line was it? There are three main/pressurised ones. One from the tank to the fuel filter, one from the fuel filter to the front cylinder head and one between the fuel rails between the heads.

Did they change the fuel filter (I guess no)?

Im not sure I have heard this much on ANY year NSX, much less a 2005.

If they changed the fuel filter, maybe?

It sounds like the leak only occurs under pressure. With the car parked in it's normal spot, let it run for about 5 minutes. With the car running, check under the car (the spot on the floor you noticed is a good place to start - shine a flaslight on the floor to pick up any wetness/shiny spots). Good Luck!

According to the dealership the leak is located in the hose that is between the fuel rails between the heads.

The fuel filter was not replaced when the 15k service was performed.

Still amazed a 2005 can have this problem at this stage of the game.

According to the dealership the leak is located in the hose that is between the fuel rails between the heads.

That's the one that gets most of the heat of all. There's near to no work that can cause them fail. Only if the o-rings of the injectors have been replaced. I'd call it bad luck.

Still amazed a 2005 can have this problem at this stage of the game.

I'd chalk it up to bad luck as well. Never, ever heard of this one before. I'm sure it's happened before to someone else at some point but a very, very unusual problem nonetheless.

I'd make sure the general area and all connected systems are normal (you might have hit something, a rock might have jumped up and severed or damaged something) but other than that I wouldn't worry too much about it. One of those flukey things. NSXs are pretty bulletproof; a 2005 NSX the most bulletproof. :wink:

...a rock might have jumped up and severed or damaged something) but other than that I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There will never ever have been a rock or so. The hose is hidden very well. The only high likely thing (besides a general failure of the hose or the washers) could be that a marten (animal) bite into the rubber parts and wanted to feel drunk/high by biting in a fuel hose. :D

So, I'd inspect it quite carefully.

Back