• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2018 RLX Sports Hybrid

What do you guys think of the new look?

Wonder how many nsx owner here has a first gen RLX Sport hybrid. I test drove a 2016 CPO RLX Sport Hybrid and they are fast great cars.

2018-acura-rlx-ogi.jpg2018-Acura-RLX-Sport-Hybrid-tail-light.jpg

Lights and gimmicks.

I leased a Sport Hybrid until two months ago. Great drivetrain!

Wow! That is a VERY LARGE BOAT!

Haha. I heard great things about the hybrid rlx. Apparently they are super rare so I cannot find one to test drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were 250 made for the 2014 MY. I was one of the first to nab one. None were produced in the U.S. for the 2015 MY because the 2014 MY release started selling in October 2014.

We think a similar number for 2016, around 250, and no accurate numbers for the 2017 MY.

It is a rare car and there are now more 2G NSXs than RLX Sport Hybrids.

Acura made no attempt whatsoever to market the car the last three years.

If you should be so lucky to find one to test drive, try this:

Put car in "Sport" mode. Paddle shifter to get into first gear. Quickly mat accelerator. It's that kind of thrill. It is FAST for a 4300 pound boat. An owner on Acurazine got a 4.8 sec 0-60 time.

It's an amazing car that is hobbled by a Spartan interior and a bland look.

The Krell audio system is freaking awesome, too.

I only traded into a TLX because a) couldn't make lease numbers for the dealer's 2016 SH, sitting in the dealership gathering dust, work, and I didn't want to buy it because of depreciation. b) TLX A-Spec has turned out to be an entertaining daily driver.

I really hope the Precision Concept is stretched and used for the FMC RLX in a few years. I'll move from the TLX lease back to a RLX.

The grill is too big. Because everybody thinks they need a sport-ute now, Acura must be trying to make their cars look like trucks. I certainly hope this doesn't find it's way to the NSX. Should plaster the front and rear bumpers with their lovely black plastic crap to finish the look. Some new design talent is desperately needed at Honda/Acura.

Last edited:
The grill is too big. Because everybody thinks they need a sport-ute now, Acura must be trying to make their cars look like trucks. I certainly hope this doesn't find it's way to the NSX. Should plaster the front and rear bumpers with their lovely black plastic crap to finish the look. Some new design talent is desperately needed at Honda/Acura.

I agree. I'm on my second leased RLX. The new front end design looks terrible on the car, there's way too much real estate taken up by the large grill opening. I guess they really want to kill off their luxury market. On the SUV's it looks okay.

Once again they are trying too hard, too late.

And those tail lights....Absolutely hideous.

I've thought about picking up a used one due to the terrible resale value.

I wouldn't hesitate one minute to buy a used one. The 2016 I have is much better than the 2014 in the quality of the ride. The "Tech" package gives you everything you need, minus the Krell stereo. IMHO, the ELS system sounds fine listening to Howard Stern and Fox News. :biggrin:

It's also nice to be driving a car that you'll most likely never see another one on the road. For $600/mo lease I don't think there's another car loaded with gadgets that compares. Unless you want to drive a Hyundai Genesis that every greyhair drives down here in Florida.

The headlights remind me of glass block tile from Miami Vice.

Ironically, I just saw an old lady driving a Maroon Red RLX Hybrid. First time seeing one. Nothing against old lady ok..

Acura is trying too hard. I don't understand. Just get a different designer. The front grill on the new TLX looks really out of place, but MDX looks ok.

There are (4) 2016 in Muller WoodField Acura. Seriously thinking of picking one up. I test drove an Advance non-hybrid yesterday and did not care for it much.

Nothing says luxury like a 300hp V6 that's front wheel drive.:rolleyes:
I will say that the interior looks nice.

I drove a 2017 RLX Hybrid. Overall it was ok but it had the rental car feel to it compared to my Lexus. I can't describe it but everything felt like a 'ting' instead of a nice 'thud'. It had a certain lightness to it that I didn't like. I'm sure it's personal preference as many people like the car on this forum.

its a nice driving car.

acura is nice and randomly drops them on us. yes, they are rare.

the torque vectoring has a similar feel to the NSX. we had the chance to drive them on honda's test track during NSX training.

acura really needs to put the regular 310hp V6 in the TLX.

I drove a 2017 RLX Hybrid. Overall it was ok but it had the rental car feel to it compared to my Lexus. I can't describe it but everything felt like a 'ting' instead of a nice 'thud'. It had a certain lightness to it that I didn't like. I'm sure it's personal preference as many people like the car on this forum.

I totally understand what you are saying. The car feels hollow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The interior needs some work, for sure, though I admit not minding the Spartan interior for almost three years.

As in my post above, though, the RLX SH is mostly about the driving experience. Drive it hard, in the twisties, on Sport Mode, and you'll be rewarded. It is a driver's luxury car.

I would not touch a PAWS RLX even if you gave it to me. Ewww. PAWS wobbles too much for me in the turns. Not at all fun to drive. Thankfully, Acura gave us options with this car.

Unfortunately, we dumb Americans like our unnecessary SUVs (OK, not me, I'm just not an SUV person, though I do appreciate a well done wagon), and the sedan market is shrinking. Acura has responded appropriately and is now mostly an SUV/CUV brand. It's highly successful in that domain. Sedans.....an afterthought the last 6-7 years until this TLX MMC, when Acura has suddenly made it competitive.

I'm surprised at how many of you don't like the RLX. For my 10mi stop and go commute the RLX is perfect. I think the Lexus ES and GS are too soft. I hate having to use a mouse like controller for navigating through the menus in my wife's RX350. That's also why I won't buy a BMW. A comparable MB E class, with fake leather, costs much more to lease. As I mentioned before, the only other car compatible is a Hyundai but I'm not ready to join the over 70 crowd yet.

For the kind of money that acura wants for their sedans, I rather get a lexus.

I got the lease on my RLX Tech based on a $44k purchase price. What Lexus can you get that is comparable in size and options for that price? Plus I only put $1500 down. Plus they rolled over my unused mileage from my previous RLX which gave me an additional 10k miles.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how many of you don't like the RLX. For my 10mi stop and go commute the RLX is perfect. I think the Lexus ES and GS are too soft. I hate having to use a mouse like controller for navigating through the menus in my wife's RX350. That's also why I won't buy a BMW. A comparable MB E class, with fake leather, costs much more to lease. As I mentioned before, the only other car compatible is a Hyundai but I'm not ready to join the over 70 crowd yet.

I have no doubt that the RLX would be a fine all around vehicle. Not seeing one on every corner would be a bonus of ownership. The question posed was, what do we think of the looks of the redesign. I'm not super thrilled with the looks, but not put off so much that I wouldn't buy one that was priced right. With all wheel drive, it would make an ideal all weather cruiser.

I got the lease on my RLX Tech based on a $44k purchase price. What Lexus can you get that is comparable in size and options for that price? Plus I only put $1500 down. Plus they rolled over my unused mileage from my previous RLX which gave me an additional 10k miles.

Are you on Acurazine at all? I will admit...the RLX section there is a Sport Hybrid love fest, but still.

Back on topic, I love the redesign. I'm a huge fan of the big grille. The Beak is dead, and it's better that way.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how many of you don't like the RLX.

I'm sorry Doc. After seeing it in person, I just think it's too darn big. In fact... it's huge. :(

I'm sorry Doc. After seeing it in person, I just think it's too darn big. In fact... it's huge. :(

The size addresses the complaint about the RL before it, which I also owned, that the back seat was too small. The back seat in the RLX is HUGE, the largest in its class, in fact. Acura needs to put some extra stuff back there, like USB ports and ventilated seats. Maybe make them adjust. The Koreans (well, OK, Genesis) are doing that and then charging less than the Germans.

The eSH-AWD system makes the car handle "smaller" than its size. Other than in a parking lot, the car's nimble for its size. It's like aschool bus in the parking lot, though; the turning radius is atrociously large.

Back