• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2019 vs 2017-18 Engine Mapping Changes

Can anyone say if the engine mapping changes in the 2019s is actually noticeable? Or what is actually different? I’ve read the articles and understand the hardware changes between the years (sway bars and stiffer rear hub), but can’t find any other concrete info. The sway bars can be bought from the parts counter for a whole lot cheaper than the price delta between the years. Interestingly the rear hub appears to be the same part number based on my quick search. I’m starting to wonder if holding out for a 2019 is worthwhile, or if I should save some money and go with a 17 since I would immediately install SOS downpipes and JB4 anyway. It appears low mileage, fully loaded 2017s can be had for under $130K. Any insight would be appreciated.

Far as I know all the engines and mapping are the same from 17 to current. Changes are sway bars like you said plus a sticky tire option, colors, and color details. It's up to you based on your search in what you want, and what you want to pay. The newer the car the longer the warranty if that matters. And as of now no extended warranty is available. The NSX is a blast, I love mine. Just rolled past 6000 miles and no issues (just one thing - the AcuraLink module is broken, just need to get it in to have it replaced).

From your first, now deleted post - I've never driven a Viper but thinking it's a very different car from the NSX, especially the ACR. Vipers have never captured my interest. All personal choice. Good luck with your search.

I've driven both. Can't say that I noticed a difference.

Honda says the 19/20 is faster around the track, but how much of that is due to the new Contis?

Honda says the 19/20 is faster around the track, but how much of that is due to the new Contis?

Yeah, my guess is the tires and sway bars make up almost all of that time, but that’s just a hunch. Both tires and sway bars are an easy change.

Went back today to talk to the dealer about a possible trade for the ACR, but they will have to get back to me on a price. It’s clear they have no idea how to value the ACR.

Buying the newer sway bars and putting them in isn’t really a financially good decision. Chris Wilson has stated that they aren’t going to make sway bars for the NC1 because the amount of work to be done doesn’t really justify the cost.

Buying the newer sway bars and putting them in isn’t really a financially good decision. Chris Wilson has stated that they aren’t going to make sway bars for the NC1 because the amount of work to be done doesn’t really justify the cost.

Interesting. I’m pretty sure I saw a post on this forum saying somebody had swapped bars. I’ll need to look more into that to see if it’s viable. I’m generally a DIY type, so hourly cost isn’t really an issue as long as it’s doable. I also expect to have a lift installed shortly.

Interesting. I’m pretty sure I saw a post on this forum saying somebody had swapped bars. I’ll need to look more into that to see if it’s viable. I’m generally a DIY type, so hourly cost isn’t really an issue as long as it’s doable. I also expect to have a lift installed shortly.
Because the sways go between lower chassis and engine, to do the sways, you'll have to lower and separate them and install the new part. The nsx tech said it is not a diy task. It would be pricey for minimal handling increases.

I put a set of Cup 2’s right before my first trackdays. Prior thereto, I drove extremely aggressively on those crap Conti’s (not the newest 6’s).
MY GOSH, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Went from Slip-n-Slide, to Grip-n-Go.

Just went to see the new Corvette at a local dealer, and there was a white 2017 NSX in the lot. Had downpipes and JB4, and the owner was kind enough to start it up for me. Sounded great and he claimed it made a drastic difference in performance. Starting to think a 17-18 might be the right car for me.

FWIW, the NSX has more people standing around it than the C8.

What has been said by numerous folks from the Honda camp is that 90% of the performance difference on the 19 all comes down to the Conti 6s. The hybrid change was to give a little more electric boast in some of the settings. Not enough to write home about.

What has been said by numerous folks from the Honda camp is that 90% of the performance difference on the 19 all comes down to the Conti 6s. The hybrid change was to give a little more electric boast in some of the settings. Not enough to write home about.

Do you know if the software can be updated on the older cars? I kinda doubt it, but worth asking.

Do you know if the software can be updated on the older cars? I kinda doubt it, but worth asking.

It is possible to do, but I don't know that you can get it. Acura has their press and zone cars and a lot of those got sent back to the factory for the hardware and software updates as well as to be repainted thermal orange. I asked about the availability of this for a customer and it never really went anywhere.

I recently purchased a used 2017 that was loaded with everything I would ever want. In addition to all the factory goodies, my car came lowered with Eibach Springs as well as Eibach front and rear Sway Bars plus SOS downpipes. Not sure how much it cost for the installation of lowering springs, however I contacted Eibach to see about removing them and going back to stock height. The roads where I live in Santa Barbara are particularly bad. The one person said it was a day job probably around $800 for the install. Not sure about the sway bars. At least you can get them from Eibach. As for the changes I also heard that the software makes a difference on the track but probably not a significant change noticeable on the street. I agree that the tires make a big difference as well as the sway bars. The Eibach are significantly thicker than the OEMs from what I can tell. I love this car. I paid all cash and could have purchased a newer car but wanted the color and options list that this car came with. A lot of the 2017s did not sell in the first year so their "in service date" when the warranty begins might not take effect till some time in 2018. So keep that in mind. My car's warranty began in April 2018 giving me around two full years plus of bumper to bumper coverage. Add to that the power train warranty and the hybrid system warranty and the car is pretty rock solid.

I recently purchased a used 2017 that was loaded with everything I would ever want. In addition to all the factory goodies, my car came lowered with Eibach Springs as well as Eibach front and rear Sway Bars plus SOS downpipes. Not sure how much it cost for the installation of lowering springs, however I contacted Eibach to see about removing them and going back to stock height. The roads where I live in Santa Barbara are particularly bad. The one person said it was a day job probably around $800 for the install. Not sure about the sway bars. At least you can get them from Eibach. As for the changes I also heard that the software makes a difference on the track but probably not a significant change noticeable on the street. I agree that the tires make a big difference as well as the sway bars. The Eibach are significantly thicker than the OEMs from what I can tell. I love this car. I paid all cash and could have purchased a newer car but wanted the color and options list that this car came with. A lot of the 2017s did not sell in the first year so their "in service date" when the warranty begins might not take effect till some time in 2018. So keep that in mind. My car's warranty began in April 2018 giving me around two full years plus of bumper to bumper coverage. Add to that the power train warranty and the hybrid system warranty and the car is pretty rock solid.
Congratulations on your car! Sounds awesome with the tweaks. My 17 is a blast - all loaded up too. Not stressing about whatever software or minor hardware updates they did on the 19s. All of them are incredible cars. I got out for an east drive today for a couple errands but found a twisty road on the way home. Didn’t get above 40F so took it easy. Still a blast.

Back