• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2023 Auto Industry Report Card - ain't pretty for Honda

Interesting list. I'm curious to see how Tesla does once the other auto mfgs start catching up in the EV market. Ford specifically ran a bunch of electrified cars at a loss this last year to get more market share. I think GM is doing the same.

Subaru US/Japan CEOs just stepped down because they didn't want to move to any EVs, Honda and Toyota also seem to be lagging behind in that market (Honda is releasing a joint GM/Honda mid size EV SUV next year). It's a bit of a transitional point in automotive history and it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Tesla is on track to be the biggest car co in the world. But this is not about Tesla, it's about Honda, and how they've dropped the ball on the NSX and it seems their other vehicles. Given their loyal customer base you would think they could have done better.

The EV subsidies in the USDM and the Japanese resting on their laurels have allowed the current situation to occur. Even the Koreans have leapfrogged the Japanese. The EV subsidies isn't much of a reason either because the Japanese have more American factories than Koreans.

I have a Tesla and I'm a fan and a stockholder but I'm not a blind fanboi. On balance, they have build quality issues (kind of, my Austin built Model Y is very good but other squeak by that make you wonder) but they are so far ahead and the technology is moving way faster than the rest. I can't see how anyone can catch up when they are moving so fast. The first principles management ethos allows for shitty errors but also allows great leaps. I think everyone else especially the Japanese are still in various forms of Six Sigma or something...

In the future where almost all cars are EVs (hope I’m wrong), I fail to see what the premium manufacturers will do to differentiate themselves. Also, I buy Honda because of the (slightly sporty) driving dynamic of my Civic ST 6MT and solid engine setups. When that’s leveled because we all have cars with batteries, what will Honda be? A race for expanded range? Features that have nothing to do with actually driving?

Honda may actually be “behind” in the EV world, but I selfishly enjoy the fact that CTR and now Integra Type S are still on offer.

There are great sportscars and great commuters. Whatever is in the middle is just a compromise. I'm not here to convince anyone nor do I care to, but there's a reason why EVs are taking off and it's not just the tax credits. The market speaks for itself I also hear the argument of EV buyers are not car people... Sure but you do realize that the majority of drivers are not car people and they feel the same about their cars as they do their refrigerator.

I'm not getting rid of my NSX and I still want several ICE vehicles but they are toys. None of them I'd want to commute it.

There are great sportscars and great commuters. Whatever is in the middle is just a compromise. I'm not here to convince anyone nor do I care to, but there's a reason why EVs are taking off and it's not just the tax credits. The market speaks for itself I also hear the argument of EV buyers are not car people... Sure but you do realize that the majority of drivers are not car people and they feel the same about their cars as they do their refrigerator.

I'm not getting rid of my NSX and I still want several ICE vehicles but they are toys. None of them I'd want to commute it.
+1 This. The Ford Taurus, Honda Accord and Toyota Camry sold millions and millions of units for this reason. Now, it's the same thing but just EVs. Most people don't care about cars.

Back