• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2nd Gen Iphone

Ok, so maybe my best friend just has shitty luck with his iphone but...... he's on his 3rd Iphone. Damn thing keeps locking up and freezing at random moments. Also, the slide lock thing gets stuck too. Simply has been a pile of shit. He hasn't modded it either...it' stock.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong BUT isn't the current iphone not capable of recording video, sending/receiving multimedia text or even using mp3s as ring tones? Oh isn't there also some sort of lack of bluetooth or something like that? I wanted to bluetooth someone a picture for their iphone and they said it doesn't do that.......

oh and voice recorder, can't do that supposedly.

So are these people just fools and don't understand their own $600 iphones? Or is it actually true. The reason I didn't buy one was because some owners told me exactly what I typed up above. No reason to waste money on something that doesn't work right or do half the things my ghetto phone does.

The iPhone virtual keyboard works well enough for me. I can compose emails, post to forums, add contacts/numbers, etc. A physical keyboard would be unnecessary added crap as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, so maybe my best friend just has shitty luck with his iphone but...... he's on his 3rd Iphone. Damn thing keeps locking up and freezing at random moments. Also, the slide lock thing gets stuck too. Simply has been a pile of shit. He hasn't modded it either...it' stock.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong BUT isn't the current iphone not capable of recording video, sending/receiving multimedia text or even using mp3s as ring tones? Oh isn't there also some sort of lack of bluetooth or something like that? I wanted to bluetooth someone a picture for their iphone and they said it doesn't do that.......

oh and voice recorder, can't do that supposedly.

So are these people just fools and don't understand their own $600 iphones? Or is it actually true. The reason I didn't buy one was because some owners told me exactly what I typed up above. No reason to waste money on something that doesn't work right or do half the things my ghetto phone does.

Your friend must have bad luck. I'm always surprised when I hear someone have constant problems with a product, not just Apple, but any product. There's alot of stuff the iPhone can do, but not necessarily straight out of the box. You'll need 3rd party apps, which can be easily done once your phone is jailbroken. I can record video on mine as well as voice. You can't just pick a song on your phone and use it as a ringtone, but that can easily be done with iTunes. I know there are apps to send/receive MMS, but I don't deal with MMS, so can't give you any details on that. Most people use MMS to send stupid pictures/jokes, I think it's a waste of time. File transfer is disabled for bluetooth, but i'm sure there is a workaround for that as well. I haven't kept up to date lately with all the latest and greatest on iPhone modding, but you can check it out for yourself at www.modmyifone.com
oh yeah, quit quoting $600 iPhones, they are now $199.

Can you get multimedia images now? I hate viewmymessage.crap.

BTW, what do I do with my old iphone?:frown:

It would be cool if the iphone itself was the mouse and the iphone projected a virtual keyboard, like a hologram, onto the surface you were working on.

I do not type fast and text even slower.

It would be cool if the iphone itself was the mouse and the iphone projected a virtual keyboard, like a hologram, onto the surface you were working on.

I do not type fast and text even slower.

Well, that is sort of available.

You could get this

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catal...s-_-Keyboards&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=21193012

and use it with most bluetooth enabled devices. The iphone does have bluetooth, however it is only compatible with headset voice calls. Close, but no cigar.

Uhhh, just because people take public transportation doesn't mean they can't afford or don't have a car.

Will this make the first gen Iphone worthless? Or at least worth less then $200?

I am interested in an iPhone, but I understand that there are some issues with connecting to the HFL (Hands Free Link) in my TL.

Don't get me wrong- everyone says the phone will pair up with the system fine- showing caller ID, battery, and signal life on the dash display-

BUT

I have been to several forums, and they all seem to indicate that the iPhone will link up to HFL, but then drop incoming calls. It seems the issue is the iPhones battery saving "sleep" function. when the phone goes to sleep it still shows up as paired, but in order to take a call you have to unlock it first, and HFL doesn't do that.

You can remedy the issue by setting the phone to "sleep never" but then the battery life is jeopardized.

I am hoping the new iphone remedies that problem, but I won't be an early adopter since I will be watching to see what results others have first. Also- i don't want to be vicitmized by a price drop if one were to occur.

Philip

Can you get multimedia images now? I hate viewmymessage.crap.

BTW, what do I do with my old iphone?:frown:

Yes, you can receive MMS with an application called Swirly MMS. Like I said, I don't like/use MMS, so I'm not sure how well it works. Once you jailbreak your iphone, SwirlyMMS is available through the AppTapp Installer on your phone.

I am interested in an iPhone, but I understand that there are some issues with connecting to the HFL (Hands Free Link) in my TL.

Don't get me wrong- everyone says the phone will pair up with the system fine- showing caller ID, battery, and signal life on the dash display-

BUT

I have been to several forums, and they all seem to indicate that the iPhone will link up to HFL, but then drop incoming calls. It seems the issue is the iPhones battery saving "sleep" function. when the phone goes to sleep it still shows up as paired, but in order to take a call you have to unlock it first, and HFL doesn't do that.

You can remedy the issue by setting the phone to "sleep never" but then the battery life is jeopardized.

I am hoping the new iphone remedies that problem, but I won't be an early adopter since I will be watching to see what results others have first. Also- i don't want to be vicitmized by a price drop if one were to occur.

Philip

Why don't you get an iPod interface for your Acura. It will play music from your iPhone and charge it at the same time. When you get a call, music stops, phone starts ringing and your car's HFL will pick it up. The ringtone will even play through your car's sound system. Once you hang up, your music will resume play. You can set your phone to never sleep since it will always be charging. Problem solved.

Your friend must have bad luck. I'm always surprised when I hear someone have constant problems with a product, not just Apple, but any product. There's alot of stuff the iPhone can do, but not necessarily straight out of the box. You'll need 3rd party apps, which can be easily done once your phone is jailbroken. I can record video on mine as well as voice. You can't just pick a song on your phone and use it as a ringtone, but that can easily be done with iTunes. I know there are apps to send/receive MMS, but I don't deal with MMS, so can't give you any details on that. Most people use MMS to send stupid pictures/jokes, I think it's a waste of time. File transfer is disabled for bluetooth, but i'm sure there is a workaround for that as well. I haven't kept up to date lately with all the latest and greatest on iPhone modding, but you can check it out for yourself at www.modmyifone.com
oh yeah, quit quoting $600 iPhones, they are now $199.

Well $600 was how much he paid. So that sucks for him. Another odd thing his Iphone did, he did the picture caller ID thing instead of just the number showing up when someone calls. For some reason, whenever I called, his phone would lock up. Weird. That was iphone #2.

Modding it would be great, but with how often his iphone broken, I'm sure they wouldn't cover it under warranty. Hence why it was never modded even though it'd be nice too. Then he'd have a modded iphone that always breaks that is supposed to be covered under warranty but is actually voided because he modded it.

Am curious as to how they solve the battery drain issues with AT&T 3G (esp on HSDPA)...

When I upgraded my Treo750 from WM5 to WM6, you get HSDPA (instead of "3G lite" UMTS), but battery life is in the tank :mad:

Am probably going to go with the HTC 8925 Tilt ... WiFi + 3G + GPS + BBC + full keyboard + 3MP cam) - currently $99.95 on Amazon.com

I'm on verizon EVDO right now, with a 700P. Its wonderful. I get a couple days of heavy use with it no problem, unless I tether via bluetooth.

The ONLY reasons I plan to switch to AT&T is
a) I want a SIM card phone as I will be doing more international travel
b) I NEED a palm without a camera (secure work environment) and Verizon cannot locate any more camera-less 700Ps
c) I am hoping 3G AT&T can improve on Verizon EVDO speeds

My current 700P is BY FAR the best phone I have ever used. I'm not too stoked about going to windows software, but I think that is my best option. If your 750 is camera-less I'll buy it from you right now!

I'll have mine at 09:05 or so the morning of the 11th. End of story.

Well $600 was how much he paid. So that sucks for him. Another odd thing his Iphone did, he did the picture caller ID thing instead of just the number showing up when someone calls. For some reason, whenever I called, his phone would lock up. Weird. That was iphone #2.

Modding it would be great, but with how often his iphone broken, I'm sure they wouldn't cover it under warranty. Hence why it was never modded even though it'd be nice too. Then he'd have a modded iphone that always breaks that is supposed to be covered under warranty but is actually voided because he modded it.

jailbreaking (modding) can easily be undone by simply doing a restore in iTunes. Every thing is returned to oem settings like it came new in the box

Why don't you get an iPod interface for your Acura. It will play music from your iPhone and charge it at the same time. When you get a call, music stops, phone starts ringing and your car's HFL will pick it up. The ringtone will even play through your car's sound system. Once you hang up, your music will resume play. You can set your phone to never sleep since it will always be charging. Problem solved.

Any recomendations as to a vendor for the interface? I had a unit for my Accord, but it attached to my CD changer port. I loved it, even though it was a bit idiosyncratic regarding my playlists. My 04 TL has a 6 disk in dash changer, so I am not sure it has a port to plug into. My TL does not have navi.

P

eBay, maybe. Otherwise, get in line for the 7/11 release of iPhone 2.0.

let's not call it iPhone 2.0, its the iPhone 3G. iPhone firmware version 2.0 will be available for all iPhones, so don't want to confuse anybody.

Am curious as to how they solve the battery drain issues with AT&T 3G (esp on HSDPA)...

When I upgraded my Treo750 from WM5 to WM6, you get HSDPA (instead of "3G lite" UMTS), but battery life is in the tank :mad:

Am probably going to go with the HTC 8925 Tilt ... WiFi + 3G + GPS + BBC + full keyboard + 3MP cam) - currently $99.95 on Amazon.com

I have the Tilt (HTC Kaiser), my previous phone was the 8525 (HTC Hermes) and to be honest, the specs on the Tilt look far better, but performance wise it's no better than the 8525. Yes it has a GPS, but I don't really use it. It's also EXTREMELY FRAGILE. My screen cracked for absolutely no reason and ATT wanted $600 to replace the phone, it's not covered under warranty as it's considered abuse to them. I had to buy a replacement screen from China and have it shipped and replace the screen myself. Took 6 weeks and cost me about $80. Many people on the internet are reporting the same issue. This was never an issue with the 8525. Also I hate the way they flipped everything around on the 8925. It's great for lefties, but awful for righties. Forget battery life, mine is always plugged into a USB cable at work and into the wall at home. If I needed to rely on it all day while out and about, I'd have a car charger. Browsing is slow and painful even on HSDPA (no more so than the 8525 though).

If it weren't for the lack of keyboard, I'd seriously consider the iPhone 2.0 from what I've heard. I had absolutely zero interest in the original iPhone but it sounds like this time around it's much closer to what I want ...3G, GPS (even if I don't use it often) and ActiveSync. I do wish it had an microHD slot though. I'm unclear thus far as to how 3rd party applications will work.... can anyone develop anything just like with a WM6 based phone, or do they still have to go through Apple?

I'm unclear thus far as to how 3rd party applications will work.... can anyone develop anything just like with a WM6 based phone, or do they still have to go through Apple?

There are two options for third party applications:

1) Use the legacy toolchain and installer.app for distributing your program. This has zero interaction with Apple, but also requires that end-users 'jailbreak' the phone which gives access to the full filesystem.

2) The "official" method is to use the freely available SDK from Apple. Apps developed under this SDK *MUST* be distributed through the official Apple channel, ie "AppStore" on the phone or via iTunes. The upside to this is that it's accessible to everyone and does not require hacking the phone in any manner.

This is the preferred method, but developers do need a certificate from Apple to sign their code. So far Apple has only distributed 4000 of these out of the 25k developers that have applied to date.

There are two options for third party applications:

1) Use the legacy toolchain and installer.app for distributing your program. This has zero interaction with Apple, but also requires that end-users 'jailbreak' the phone which gives access to the full filesystem.

2) The "official" method is to use the freely available SDK from Apple. Apps developed under this SDK *MUST* be distributed through the official Apple channel, ie "AppStore" on the phone or via iTunes. The upside to this is that it's accessible to everyone and does not require hacking the phone in any manner.

This is the preferred method, but developers do need a certificate from Apple to sign their code. So far Apple has only distributed 4000 of these out of the 25k developers that have applied to date.

Does the AppStore offer free software, or do they charge for everything? With WM6 there's tons of free stuff available. My guess is it will probably be more difficult to Jailbreak the new phone, but like anything else, it may just be a matter of time. Thanks for the education on this subject though.

Back