• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

350Z Vs NSX

have to say I'm a little disappointed in the manners of some NSX Primers here. I always thought one of the strengths of the community here was a little more tolerance than with some of the more elitist boards. Everyone has a right to an opinion but come on, if you can't say something nice....

Some do get defensive *understatement*. Lets all see the bigger picture. We are talking about cars. Can you imagine whats going on at U.N message boards. lol :D

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the manners of some NSX Primers here. I always thought one of the strengths of the community here was a little more tolerance than with some of the more elitist boards. Everyone has a right to an opinion but come on, if you can't say something nice....

I agree!

Some of our Prime members are sounding like members from other boards I have visited. I am suprised and disappointed.

Distance Runner said:
I agree!

Some of our Prime members are sounding like members from other boards I have visited. I am suprised and disappointed.

Common people we're not going to take this seriously right?? We're one big happy family here... :rolleyes: ..lighten up!

Okay how about 350Z vs WRX STI? :redface:

Anyone who drove a 350Z can give a lil compare an contrast to the NSX

I'm Sorry for the delayed response, as I must have missed this thread.

I sold my 350Z, replacing it with my 91 black and ivory NSX that I bought in May 2004. I had driven the 350Z for approximately 8,000 miles, which included one trip from California to Arizona. The novelty of the car wore off rather quickly, in part due to its lack of acceleration. The 350z handled fine, but I also felt as if there was minimal feed back regarding traction. Within a few months the interior trim of the car had numerous rattles, which were then followed by noises from poorly fitted body panels.

I replaced the Nissan 350Z with the NSX, so I will concede that my opinion is biased. That said, I am lost for words that would adequately express my pleasure with the NSX. I may never own another type of sports car again.

black350zwidebody said:
SPA_S2000 -- I thought the NSX was a mid 13s car. Good drives are getting 13.6-13.8s witht the Z bone. Am I thinking of the 91-94 NSX? are the 95+ much faster?

The newer ones (97+) are generally low 13 second cars with very good runs appearing to get into the high 12s, but those seem to be few and far between. They have however gotten there; probably in the same frequency as stock Zs getting the times you've quoted (which are well below times that Ive heard of for Zs BTW). A pass at 110mph seems to be a very good speed, with most seemingly in the 106 to 108 range.

Others would know much more about this that I, but I would say that the difference is huge.

Most tests I have seen put the 350 right about 14 seconds in the 1/4. The old 300 TT is slightly faster.

In quoting 1/4 mile times, make sure to distinguish between magazine tests, and tests you see at the drag strip. Magazines have standard procedures that they use, including bone stock cars, full fuel tank, stock tires, recommended air pressures, all stock equipment in the car, professional drivers, etc. As a result, they are usually pretty consistent from one magazine to another, with differences rarely exceeding two tenths of a second. Occasionally there is an outlier data point that is a whole lot slower or quicker, but most of the figures are clustered around a certain number that represents a "consensus figure". They're also easy for anyone to verify, by checking the particular issue in which the test appeared.

When people go to the drag strip, they usually do things that can better those times - mods (often not disclosed or noted), mostly empty gas tanks, drag tires, lower air pressures than recommended (to increase the size of the contact patch), spare tire and other equipment removed from the car, widely varying driver skills, etc. Because of all these factors, times at the drag strip are highly variable, and differences of one or two seconds or more between tests of the SAME CAR MODEL are not uncommon. That's why I find such anecdotal reports to be not particularly useful when comparing one car against another.

Most magazine tests of the '91-94 3.0-liter five-speed NSX put it around 13.8 in the 1/4 mile, and the '97-05 3.2-liter six-speed NSX-T around 13.3 or so. The 3.2-liter six-speed NSX Coupe is even faster, but those are quite rare. And, as with most cars, you can find a test or two with figures that are lower than that, but those are the consensus numbers from the magazines.

The 350Z (Track Edition) was tested by Road & Track (March 2003) at 14.4 (99.7 mph), and by AutoWeek (Nov 12, 2002) at 14.32 (also 99.7 mph). Again, I'm sure you can find a test or two with quicker numbers, but those are the consensus magazine test figures.

Last edited:
Banshee Wail said:
I am lost for words that would adequately express my pleasure with the NSX. I may never own another type of sports car again.

This comment so perfectly describes how I feel everytime I drive my car.
Well said!! :cool:

Really guys I thought you where older and had more mature than this. How was I being "....unsubstantiated, argumentative and immature claims" Was "getting that darn cocky" harsh to you?!!? and I guess U missed the whole I love the NSX part!!!!!

So how the hell was I argumentative?!!? u defended the NSX Like I defended the Z. I thought that was the title of this forum. Y would it be inappropriate for a person that owns a z to give his opinion? Who would only want biased opinions about a car?

MY FISRT POST!!!!
Originally Posted by black350zwidebody
Now guys I wouldn't go getting that darn cocky. The 350z needs some definite tweaking to help her a long but she is 1/3 the cost of the NSX. You could buy a Z 30k drop $10k into her and have an NSX eater all day long. and still have $40K+ left over.

I love the NSX and have loved it since 91 but I think it is hard to compare the two. The 350z is a great car and for ~ $26-30k u can not beat it.

MY SECOND POST!!!

hey guys I am new to posting here and did not mean to offend (if I did). I should have been more specific as to who I was talking to.

SPA_S2000 - "Its a big huge class down" comment was a little cocky and so was the comment made by NSXTASY_MD - "I've walked three of them now (and counting) with ease"

There is something to be said about having a 5yr warranty with your $30k purchase, no miles, being the only owner, owning one of the 1st Zs to be released (talk about a head turner in 03), and NSXTASY_MD -- u would be amazed at how $5k, 10 hrs, and TT can cure that walking problem of your.

Now that Nissan has lost its mind and it producing Zs like stangs many of us Z owners have been forced to mod our Zs to retain the uniqueness. I promise you that If I pulled up next to an NSX I would get as much if not more attention and I am still under $40k.

So, It really comes down to what u want. I plan to purchase an NSX as a track car in the next yr. so I am in no way bashing them, but I know the benefits of owning a Z and wanted to share them with you guys.

The Z is by far the best car (fun wise) I have ever owned. I will likely have similar feelings about the NSX when I make the move.

Thanks for the compliments on my Z. I hope to learn a lot from you all in the next few months and maybe meet up with you soon.

I GUESS U MISSED THAT PART TOO!!! Where the Hell am I being a jerk here???

As for my MBA and ability to buy my vehicles with cash. I was simply defending myself from this statement.

Looking at that car.... Two types of people come to mind....

1. Middle aged big hairy chested bloke with Gold chains around the neck, gold bracelets, open shirt etc..... (all show and no go!)

2. First car for a 16-18 yr old kid who is too young to know any better..."

I was attacked. My comments where simply there to ensure that I was an adult and should be given as much respect as the rest of this sites members
!

I am really surprised with this nonsense. U even attack your own member (Distance Runner) who was very nice to me through PMs, etc.

I mean really it is great to love ur car but to flame someone for loving there is really BS!

I gave the appropriate respect to all of u and ur cars. You could have at least given me the same.

NSXTASY and SPA_S2000 -- thanks for the insight on the track times. Didn't know the NSX was that much faster. The times I quoted for the are real. With a TT or SC they have even gotten into the 12s (on slicks I think). It is amazing what FI does to these things. The best N/A time I can remember was in the low 13s, but they had done a ton of stuff to the internals, etc. A good driver can get high 13s consitantly with a mostly stock Z (maybe an exhaust, intake, etc.

Lastly, it is amazing how you guys have wide body NSXs with CF hoods and Volk or HRE wheels on this board and you praise them for the look but call me a ricer. All I have is a Veilside wide body kit, a siebon CF hood, and a set of highly respected volks and I get slammed.

I am threw with u guys. It is amazing how a few A$$es can change everything. (OK THERE U GO I SAID MY FIRST AND LAST IMMATURE THING!!!)

I suspect if we were all talking face to face, things would have never
escalated this far. :rolleyes:

black350zwidebody - no, your positive comments were not missed by all.
Don't let a few negative responses represent everyone. :redface:
Sorry your first experience on prime wasn't a pleasure.

Last edited:
Everybody, lets all stay nice and friends :biggrin:

Black350z, I heard that the Z's have a toe problem with the front tires? Now is that for all of the Z's? Have you noticed that problem for your car?

Personally, I am very disappointed with a few of those on this board. I just started consistently visiting this board 5 months ago and to see this thread come this .. sad. I mean, I felt that most people on this board whom are enthusiasts, or owners of NSX's are more mature/professional and even open minded. If you love your car, love it, but don't hate on someone else just because they love a different car or speak highly of whatever they drive. I mean, an NSX is great.. but I love my prelude more. Are you guys going to bash my prelude now just cause I'm more attached to it? I've never driven a 350Z, but my friend drove his brothers 350z, my NSX, and his friends s2000. In matter of opinion, he liked his brothers 350z more than the NSX. The s2000 felt more refined to him than both vehicles, and due to his statements he seemed more interested in the s2000 than the NSX. Was I hurt, was I then on the defensive? Absolutely not.

What you type vs. what is actually said are interpreted differently and therefore shouldn't be taken personally.

black350z: Seriously, don't let a few on this board classify us all as immature. I sincerely hope that you stick around this board because I find your opinions insightful.

I love you guys with or without NSX! Let's all be one happy family....

{group hugs}

Black350Z,

Like I said before, you have a nice Z....one of the best looking one I have seen so far.

I hope someday soon you'll own a NSX since you like them too....

I agree with the others. Things have gotten out of hand and I don't really understand why. I already said I like your Z. So stick around and don't let a few bad posts keep you away from picking up a NSX of your own.

Quick question for you. Do you know if the G35 coupe wheels will fit on an older 300ZX TT?

As far as the "Rice" term goes... I cannot simply label such vendors as Veilside, or Volk as "Rice". As far as I'm concerned genuine products of these vendors are the Gucci and Versaces of our aftermarket.

Stunner said:
As far as the "Rice" term goes... I cannot simply label such vendors as Veilside, or Volk as "Rice". As far as I'm concerned genuine products of these vendors are the Gucci and Versaces of our aftermarket.

I have to disagree with you on this one, "personally" I dont care much for body kits including the NSX, I love the lines the way it is with very minimal external mods (suspension and wheels for an aggressive lower look is all I would go). I believe an "Exotic car" should be left alone, I mean you wouldnt typically see a Ferrari or lambo with body kits would you?

In my opinion by adding the "Gucci" and 'Versaces" degrade the looks and value of an Exotic rather than boost it (AGAIN THIS IS JUST ME).

The "yellow headlights" are very typical to the ricer crowd (my 18 year old cousin and all his ricer friends has them on their Integras, Civics and Eclipses and yes they are ricers) again to black350Z dont take offense to what everyone is saying including myself.

We are all taking this thing too personal.

As "Mr.Rork" once said "Smile everyone, smile...." :biggrin:

spartan2-3 said:
I have to disagree with you on this one, "personally" I dont care much for body kits including the NSX, I love the lines the way it is with very minimal external mods (suspension and wheels for an aggressive lower look is all I would go). I believe an "Exotic car" should be left alone, I mean you wouldnt typically see a Ferrari or lambo with body kits would you?

In my opinion by adding the "Gucci" and 'Versaces" degrade the looks and value of an Exotic rather than boost it (AGAIN THIS IS JUST ME).

The "yellow headlights" are very typical to the ricer crowd (my 18 year old cousin and all his ricer friends has them on their Integras, Civics and Eclipses and yes they are ricers) again to black350Z dont take offense to what everyone is saying including myself.

We are all taking this thing too personal.

As "Mr.Rork" once said "Smile everyone, smile...." :biggrin:

I see your point. I just meant as far as aftermarket vendors go, Veilside and Volk can't be considered on the low end of the list. I believe Veilside actually has products available now for 575 Maranellos.... That's a hard enough concept as it is to swallow, to me that's crossing the line.

Yes, you are right. They are extending their line even more. Quoted from Veilside USA News section:
"Tokyo Auto Salon 2005 was a fantastic event for VeilSide. With the debut of 6 kits which included the Hummer H2, Chrysler 300C, Ferrari 575M, Bentley Continental GT, Fortune G35 Coupe, and the Fortune RX-7 which took High Honors in the Sporty Car class, which also took the Gran Prix in the Custom Car Contest, the highest award for the entire show!. This Gran Prix prize follows the Fortune NSX from last year and we will work hard for a third year. We can't say that the event went off without a hitch however. The H2 only made it into the halls in its finished condition on Sunday which was the last day of the 3 day event. VeilSide would like to send many thanks to the sponsors such as DUB Magazine, TIS, Rotora, SMA, BFG Tires, H&R, Vortech Engineering, Nitrous Express, and all others responsible for making this event a success for us."
It's nice to know they're extending their bodykit line! Still though, they have some kits that are too outrageous for cars. Like the RX7 kit that debuted.... i think it is called the Fortune kit?

spartan2-3 said:

It's not just you... ;)

pbassjo said:
Would you say

350z is to NSX as NSX is to ZO6?
I would say

350Z is to 3.0-liter NSX
as 3.0-liter NSX is to 3.2-liter NSX
as 3.2-liter NSX is to C5 Z06
as C5 Z06 is to C6 Z06

with each step representing a significant improvement in acceleration. (I'm making an assumption with the C6 Z06, since it won't be out till fall.)

nsxtasy said:
I would say

350Z is to 3.0-liter NSX
as 3.0-liter NSX is to 3.2-liter NSX
as 3.2-liter NSX is to C5 Z06
as C5 Z06 is to C6 Z06

with each step representing a significant improvement in acceleration. (I'm making an assumption with the C6 Z06, since it won't be out till fall.)

I'm assuming this is a stock vs. stock comparison. So if I installed CT i/sc/h/e on my '05, would it be fair to say;

as C5 Z06 is to 3.2-liter NSX (CT i/sc/h/e installed w/370 WHP)
as 3.2-liter NSX (CT i/sc/h/e installed w/370 WHP) is to C6 Z06

I own a 350Z but was on the nsx fence for a LONG while. My neighbor has a 91 NSX which I drive all the time. I've also tested the 02 NSXT and its defnly faster. However, in comparing the 91 to the Z, the X is Certainly ON RAILS and has a better "go cart" feel as others have said. however, the brawn of the Z VQ cant be ignored - evn though it does run out of breath. Lets see how the N1 variant motor in the 35th and 05 track do at higher rpm.

Yes everybody has a Z - however, its a great looking car, bud sadly is no match for the exotica of the NSX.

The nsx is faster at higher speeds and when it gets twistier, but for what it is and its price point, its tuff to sell a modern 03 Z and get a 91 nsx...for me.

Last edited:
Sorry, slightly off topic. But is the the engine in the 350z the same engine they use in the Maxima, Altima, Murano, and Quest? 3.5 250-265 hp v6? I dont have a point, I was just curious because they appear to be the same.

donwon said:
Sorry, slightly off topic. But is the the engine in the 350z the same engine they use in the Maxima, Altima, Murano, and Quest? 3.5 250-265 hp v6? I dont have a point, I was just curious because they appear to be the same.

Same VQ35 motor, which is a great motor, very cost effective.

They are not the only company that use same motor on different cars, just as SL55, E55, G55, S55. CL55.

BMW, Toyota/Lexus, VW/Audi, and many others do the same. Nissan just to take it to another level, no wonder they turned the company around in just a few years.

Back