• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3M Scotchcal Protective Paint Film?

This is the clear film that's sometimes referred to as the clear bra. Has anyone used this product? Thoughts? Good? Bad?
http://products.mmm.com/us/auto_marine_aero/products/aad.jhtml?powurl=GSYWQBNVHBbeGSLPLPKL4XgeGST1T4S9TCgvPKD7VS0CHGgl
http://www.xpel.com/paint/applications.html

It doesn't look like Xpel has a kit for the NSX. Does anyone make such a kit? It seems like that would be the best way to install it (as opposed to using bulk material).

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

I have it on my '91 silver NSX. It has been applied on the front nose, hood, mirrors, and below the doors all the way to the back bumper. Its been on for 15 months. Very much impressed with both the installation and its durability. As far as aestetics, its practically unnoticeable on my silver car. There is no maintenance as I freely wash and wax right over it. A definite alternative to a front bra. Does not yellow or crack at the edges. Perfect adhesion. All installed pieces were generated by a computer when the car was originally imaged. Would love to do the whole car!

Bucky,

So you had someone (an installer) apply it? The process sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing who did the work and how much it cost?

I heard back from the Invinca-Shield company and they said the following when asked about a kit for a 91-92 NSX...

"...I am sorry but we do not have a kit for the 1992 model. We have a kit for the 96 - 00 model year. Thank you for your inquiry..."

This surprised me. I didn't think there was any significant difference in the bodies. I thought the chin spoiler might have changed, but I wasn't sure if the nose cap was different.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

"...I am sorry but we do not have a kit for the 1992 model. We have a kit for the 96 - 00 model year. Thank you for your inquiry..."

This surprised me. I didn't think there was any significant difference in the bodies. I thought the chin spoiler might have changed, but I wasn't sure if the nose cap was different.

The only differences in the configuration of the body panels are the chin spoiler (which probably does not get coated with the film) and the fact that the -T top is removable. There shouldn't be any reason that a kit made for a '91 would be different from one for a 2000.

I had this professionally installed; Try this, http://www.autobahndint.com/ They can do this for any year, and whatever areas you would like covered. Prices depend on coverage. Primary frontal coverage; $695. I extended the protection behind both wheels for another $400. Watching the procedure seemed to justify the price. Results were impressive.

Last edited:
Bump...

Thought I would give this a bump since it's under current discussion...

-J

I have a customer that had it installed on one of his Porsches.
It was awesome. The application had not one defect and we tried hard to find any. It was apllied by a dealer for this product in Greenwich Ct. and they were looking for vendors but I was not interested,having more than enough to handle as it is. This customer lives in Poulney, VT , drives down to Florida several times a year and comes by whenever he's around to visit or if he wrecks one of his cars. I'm eager to see how this product stands up. When you get a little dig or chip in plastic film it can look pretty bad and I was going to hold my verdict until I'd seen his with a few thousand miles of high speed highway use.
It was not 3M and the company tried to have them (3M) make it for them but were not satisfied with the results.(application problems, so he said) The 3M that I have seen and used (Corvette dog legs for ex.) did discolor with time and that to me is not acceptable. THIS stuff however was hot! I'll update when I see it again.

Autobahnd is what I was referring to the whole time, I did mention this in the other thread earlier. I thought it was made by 3M and so I've done a search on the net, some claimed it's made by 3M and some don't. I've just digged out my vehicle contract for the NSX and it only says "Autobahnd" and it cost $595, labor included. I'll make an update to the other post, too.

How about the reflective quality of the part w/ the 3m film on? Also do you just wax and polish over it?! how would that come out.

The paint surface must be squeaky clean prior to application.

And yes, you can apply wax or polish right over it.

-Jim

Oh yeah, you can always pull it off and reapply if you want.

It's not glued on in any way. It clings very securely.

-Jim

If it has no adhesive of any kind and the same pieces can be removed and repplied it is nothing that I've seen. What I have seen has glue and is a one shot deal that can be removed with a heat gun but can't be reapplied. There must be more than one type of this product if there is one being held with just static.

pbassjo said:
If it has no adhesive of any kind and the same pieces can be removed and repplied it is nothing that I've seen. What I have seen has glue and is a one shot deal that can be removed with a heat gun but can't be reapplied. There must be more than one type of this product if there is one being held with just static.
This site will answer all your questions http://www.interwestdc.com Ask for Mike Bleidi I met him at the SEMA show in Nashville. He was demoing the product. Most of the street rodders are using this product.

AKUDOU said:
This site will answer all your questions http://www.interwestdc.com Ask for Mike Bleidi I met him at the SEMA show in Nashville. He was demoing the product. Most of the street rodders are using this product.
No NSX kit? I want it if it works as everyones says it does. If someone finds a site that sells a kit please include it.

Last edited:
I just went to both sites listed and read the instructions.
They both clearly state that there is a adhesive on one side of the product. That is not to say that the products are not good, to the contrary, they probably are excellent just like the ones I've seen but they are adhesive backed. I feel they make it sound easier to apply than it may turn out to be, especially for the novice. I would let a dealer install it for a perfect job. The jobs I've seen were perfect!
My reservations are the possibilty of it being photochemically reactive( turning yellow or brittle with time) and how it may stain, cloud or react to wax, cleaners, hard water, etc. or even the oil that can lift off the highway after a rain. I'd like to see an example after a year of service and not hiding in a garage. It looks like what people have been waiting for.

Last edited:
I did read that there's an "adhesive" side.

There's a spray that you use to position the film. You squeegee the film in place and do not "stick" in place with the adhesive backing.

-Jim

The application of this product as described on the two listed links is a common technique for applying decals, signage, stripes, woodgrain, window tint etc..
It is a adhesive bond that does not lock until the carrier ie., soapy water & alcohol etc. is squeegeed out.
The FAQ on the Interwest site explains how to remove using heat, 150 degrees F, the point being to soften the glue, just like on decals, overlays etc.. That's what this is after all, a clear overlay.
They don't mention it discoloring and that's sounds great.
I think I'm going to get a kit for one of my company vehicles to try it out. Stone chips stink and are common on a low slung vehicle like the NSX. I doubt you would want it on fresh, new paint until it has cured at least 72 hours after a full bake to keep the escaping
gases from making bubbles under the material. I also think it will look poor on a panel that already has chips, leaving a little bubble where the chip is.

pbassjo said:
I also think it will look poor on a panel that already has chips, leaving a little bubble where the chip is.
My NSX had some minor chips when the film was applied, and it kind of hides them. It does not bubble if properly installed, because once the spray solution dries it leaves a vacuum between the film and body panel.

Back