• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

4spd Auto to 6spd Manual conversion worth it?

Disclaimer: I am 95% sure I probably will not do this so no need to flame. Just curious.

I have an 04 3.0 Auto Trans w/ the paddle shifter. Runs perfect. Low miles.
Plan on keeping the car a long time regardless of the trans. It's a cruiser with occasional spirited driving. Non tracked.

Would it be too much of a pain to convert to a 6pd?
Rough estimate how much it would cost with labor?

Some may say why don't you just sell your 04 and buy an 02+ NA2 6pd?
With the rise in NSX prices, I feel it would be cheaper to do the conversion. Especially to a car I'm super happy with.

I realize this affects the VIN but if I don't plan on selling it doesn't matter much.

Cool, thanks. Too bad he's not in the US.

I know the guys out at Autowave have converted an auto to a 5spd.
Wonder if Larry B or any other reputable shops within the community have experience.

the engine is different too. Your car is still a NA1 which is a 3.0 making 250hp with a lower redline and different cam shafts that are geared for more tq vs top end power. So even if you changed the transmission and the camshafts and have it rev to 8000rpm. Your car would still be a NA1 instead of a NA2 which is a 3.2 liter. Just enjoy your car. If you like it, just drive it. Waaay to much work to make it a NA2.

Leave it be and just enjoy it. You already said your happy and it'll tank the value on an already collectible NA2.

Disclaimer: I am 95% sure I probably will not do this so no need to flame. Just curious.

I have an 04 3.0 Auto Trans w/ the paddle shifter. Runs perfect. Low miles.
Plan on keeping the car a long time regardless of the trans. It's a cruiser with occasional spirited driving. Non tracked.

Would it be too much of a pain to convert to a 6pd?
Rough estimate how much it would cost with labor?

Some may say why don't you just sell your 04 and buy an 02+ NA2 6pd?
With the rise in NSX prices, I feel it would be cheaper to do the conversion. Especially to a car I'm super happy with.

I realize this affects the VIN but if I don't plan on selling it doesn't matter much.

i did it, not bad I can walk you through items needed if ya do it. I do miss the auto trans in traffic

Back