• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5 quarts of oil after oil change

HI All,
I just changed the oil in my NSX last night and put 5 quarts back in. (Filter was changed too). According to the techical area the oil capacity is 6.7 quarts. I checked the level again this morning and the level is in between the two marks (holes) on the stick. Why is the level full after just 5 quarts? I did drive it a bit to circulate the oil. Thanks in advance.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan Manual #0030

[This message has been edited by Litesokneecough (edited 01 June 2002).]

On the '94 NSX, engine oil capacity is 6.7 quarts for engine overhaul, and oil change and filter is 5.3 quarts. The combination of small pools in cavities of the forced sump system and film coating the bare metal during the oil change speaks for the 1.4 quart difference.

Hey Guys,

My 1991 takes exactly 5.3 to bring it to the top hole after an oil change.

HTH,
LarryB

Oil Change capacity...(old thread)

Hi guys, just a question:...the back page of my owner's manual says
5.0 litres of oil , yet the little sticker on top of my airbox says 4.3 litres...is it safe to assume that the 5.0 litres is when filter is also being changed with the fluid, and the 4.3 litres is for when it is not changed (fluid only)? Needless to say, I did the 5.0 litres and level seems just under the top full mark....so its more curiousity of the book vs that sticker....

Do you guys Fill your Oil filter with fresh Oil before you put it back on or do you just put the Filter back on then fill the car with oil?

I heard that the engine when starting sucks the oil from the filter during start up, and if it empty on start up then it gets nothing.intell it cycles thru and fills it. another NSX owner turned me on to this.

I for one fill it to the brim before I re-install it.

then fill the car up with the new oil.

I fill up my oil filter also, but only half way. It is a nice safety precaution but not 100% neccessary. I doubt most dealers even go through the hassle to do it this way.

Do to the orientation of the oil filter, it makes it pretty easy to do without spilling oil all over the driveway.

It's more important to put a light coat of oil on the rubber seal to get a good seal.

I always replace the filter with each oil change. Is it ok NOT to change the filter each time?

I also change filter every time....that being said, any comments on the different volume amounts as listed in manual vs sticker on airbox?

I always replace the filter with each oil change. Is it ok NOT to change the filter each time?

My answer is NO.

If I couldn't affort $15 for a filter I would sell my NSX and buy a YUGO and then leave the original filter in place (to maintain the value due to having all of the original parts) and use RECYCLED OIL.

Brad

Last edited:
Do you guys Fill your Oil filter with fresh Oil before you put it back on or do you just put the Filter back on then fill the car with oil?.

Yes, I do. Even if the filter isn't vertical like on the NSX I put as much oil in the filter as I can, without making a mess. Let the filter sit after putting oil in it to soak into the paper filter, then refill.

I heard that the engine when starting sucks the oil from the filter during start up, and if it empty on start up then it gets nothing.intell it cycles thru and fills it. another NSX owner turned me on to this.

This is not quite right. The oil pump sucks the oil from the oil pan, pressurizes it to the filter and then after it is filtered it is sent on to the bearings etc in the engine. So if you fill the filter it takes less time to pressurize the oil system when the engine first starts. Allow the engine to idle until the oil pressure is up to normal pressure before increasing the RPMs.

Last edited:
I always fill the oil filter 1/2 to 2/3 full before installing it. Seems to reduce oil pressure-up time. Been doing that for 35 years with great success.(no engine failures)

Back