• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5 Things I hate about my NSX

I'm happy to included the terrible cup holders. With all the attention paid to hardware components, small things like "where the heck am I going to place my coffee" end up becoming very important.

No revelations here...not a "hate" list but things I wish Acura had done:

Shorter 2nd gear on the 5-speed...easier to make a slow 90-degree turn

This was fixed in 5-speed NSX transmissions 1995-1996 and fixed 'even more' for the 6-speeds. I've driven earlier NSX 5-speeds though and agree with the second-gear ratio problem.

This was fixed in 5-speed NSX transmissions 1995-1996 and fixed 'even more' for the 6-speeds. I've driven earlier NSX 5-speeds though and agree with the second-gear ratio problem.
I have a (essentially) stock '92 and have never liked the second gear. However, I have driven a friend's '04 and agree that Acura addressed the issue with the later cars. I just listed something that could have been improved upon in MY car. I think it's somewhat amusing that guys are a little bent about the lack of cupholders! I can see why, but it's just not an issue with me. I'll bring a bottle of water in the car, but I spend too much effort keeping the interior clean to permit anyone to bring in and spill coffee, sodas, milkshakes, etc..

My five things;
1) windows
2) terrible abs on 91's
3) tightly sprung suspension and bouncy ride
4) discontinued parts which are always needed
5) people saying how beautiful my car looks followed by, oh, it is just a Honda.
Everything else, I completely adore.

My five things
1) the car is too fast. I always get speeding tickets
2) the car is timeless. No one knows what year it is.
3) the car has low production numbers. No one knows what it is.
4) the car always starts. I have no excuse to stick around car shows and wait for help
5) the car looks exotic. No one knows what it is worth

I don't know about a V8 but a 3.5L V6 with more power would have been great. I think 350hp would have been perfect. I also am not a fan of 2nd gear. I have a 91 so no cup holders but I only drive mine on the weekends and rarely have drinks aside from bottle water in my NSX. Parts becoming harder to find is not making me feel warm and fuzzy.
A supercharger makes 2nd gear go from Ohhhhh, to whoa!

I don't like how the electronics,ie capacitors such as in the ac unit, stereo head unit and the main relay can fizzle ....but thanks you to our favorite hobbyists who charge reasonable rebuild rates vs what the dealership would charge to replace the entire units.

car-cane-elite-with-soft-grip-and-safety-accessories-d-20151016160745897~447465_alt5.jpg

I know some of you are getting ultra old....

I lost count of how many girls complain about getting in and out. I can only imagine those of you with buck seats and 55+ year old backs xD

Attachments

• car-cane-elite-with-soft-grip-and-safety-accessories-d-20151016160745897~447465_alt5.jpg
    car-cane-elite-with-soft-grip-and-safety-accessories-d-20151016160745897~447465_alt5.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 317
Given the technology of its time, I think the NSX was as close to perfect as any auto manufacturer could build in 1990. As was said before, these aren't hates, just minor annoyances that can be fixed. It only costs money.

1) Cupholders = Fixable
2) Windows = Fixable
3) Honda didn't update the car much for 15 yrs. = Fixable
4) Lack of tire sets for OEM wheels. = Some sets are available but, in time I'll have to have aftermarket wheels to fix.
5) Tail Lights have a tendency to warp and leak over time. = Fixable

I was one of those that said I wouldn't go for more HP when I bought my first NSX. Then, after I bought the second, I got a ride in a turbo'd NSX. Though the car I rode in, IMO, had too much HP. I could see that the NSX was engineered for more power than it produced. So on my current NSX I thought I would keep as much of the OEM look and feel as possible while updating it to some of today's specs. To me it's still the car I had always wanted since 1991. Just more in tune to today's supercar standards without losing its balance or its timeless design. It's a personal choice. Others love the car as it is. I still do too. While others go all out with as much HP as they can afford, body kits and aero parts, etc. And that's the beauty of this cars design. The same happens with Ferraris, Lambos and most other high end exotics. It just costs a lot more. This is an awesome video. Thanks for doing it and sharing it.

I'm happy to included the terrible cup holders. With all the attention paid to hardware components, small things like "where the heck am I going to place my coffee" end up becoming very important.

You know what's even more important? Not having tray tables for your food. Honda should have designed tray tables that tuck away inside the center armrest, similar to the tray tables found in row 1 on an airplane.

My only complaints

The horribly slow steering rack. A Suburban has a quicker rack. Front tire size. Granted it was designed in 89'. But I hate that my s2000 and honda fit have wider front tires.

1. Having to share the roads with idiots staring at their phones
2. Wondering if it's safe in a public parking lot
3. Clenching when you can't avoid a pot hole
4. Huge visors
5. Wondering if my airbag still works

otherwise, it's perfect in all the areas that matter.

I hate how my car's message forum has these for the hottest message threads lately....

"5 Things I hate about my NSX"
"Thinking of selling your nsx?"
"Sold your NSX to Get What?????"

In this thread (that seems to always stay at the top) people bitch about cup holders nearly every day. And in another thread we keep hearing about how the new Camaro and Mustang are worth dumping your NSX for. It's sorta depressing.

My biggest complaint is the slow steering. I also own a S2k which really makes the steering terrible in the Nsx. My other biggest complaint is you cant fit a larger tire upfront with stock fenders. The car really needs more tire in the front. My car has a bbk and supercharger so those 2 problems are fixed.

Last edited:
My biggest "HATE" and yes this is a true hate, is buying parts which are no higher quality than an accord for 5 times the amount.... Curse you Tochigi!:mad: Othor than that, thank you Tochigi!

Back