• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5th. Semi Annual CalCoastalNSX Autocross, Oct. 30th. @ Hollywood Park

How much time or how many practice runs will we get in order to learn the track?
Thanks,
Ryan

ryneen said:
How much time or how many practice runs will we get in order to learn the track?
Thanks,
Ryan

Details have been sent all entrants. Are you coming to spectate? Maybe I missed your entry form that was due by the 16th. I CANNOT add anyone because all forms have been printed and changes cannot be made. Sorry, maybe next time?

Tip #3

Do all your braking and shifting done before turn-ins. Remember... Slow in ... fast out.

Carrying too much speed going into a turn = you have to slow down during a turn = Weight transfers to the front = Less weight in the rear wheels = Oversteering will lightly happen = Not good.

Brake before turn-ins and Accelerate through the turns = Weight transfer to the rear wheels = Keeping the rear wheels planted = better control and traction = faster trackout speed.

Nemesis, it is nice to know that you can help setup early in the morning even you are not going to be running at all. We are meeting at the Starbucks/Trader Joe's/Smart and final parking lot on Culver and Walnut. See you there.

SilverOne, it'll be nice if you can make it that early. You may want to check with John and see if he is desperately seeking more bodies to help out in the morning.

Ryneen, regardless if you are running or not, the entire first session is for all to learn the track, and for us to make whatever track layout adjustment necessary to make sure that it is safe and fun for all.

Hey John

Bad news for me. Looks like I'm out of the Autocross. I turn around a bit too quickly yesterday and heard and felt a pop in my left calf. The doctor thinks I either separated or tore the calf muscle from the bone. I can walk very slowly with pain but as of this morning, I don't have enough strength in the leg to push down on the clutch. So unless I make a exceptionally quick recovery in the next three days, I guess I'm out :mad:

So if I don't see you all on Saturday, have fun!

Last edited:
Sorry to here about this! Get well soon, and there will be more auto-x's in the near future.
Mark stepp

SoCalDude said:
Hey John

Bad news for me. Looks like I'm out of the Autocross. I turn around a bit to quickly yesterday and heard and felt a pop in my left calf. The doctor thinks I either separated or tore the calf muscle from the bone. I can walk very slowly with pain but as of this morning, I don't have enough strength in the leg to push down on the clutch. So unless I make a exceptionally quick recover in the next two days, I guess I'm out :mad:

SoCalDude said:
Hey John

Bad news for me. Looks like I'm out of the Autocross. I turn around a bit to quickly yesterday and heard and felt a pop in my left calf. The doctor thinks I either separated or tore the calf muscle from the bone. I can walk very slowly with pain but as of this morning, I don't have enough strength in the leg to push down on the clutch. So unless I make a exceptionally quick recover in the next two days, I guess I'm out :mad:

Gene - Ouch, I can feel the pain just reading your post. Get well soon.

Drivers-
There will be a mandatory tech inspection on Saturday. Once you pass inspection, you will be given a tech sticker for your window and this will be checked on the start grid.

Tires:
We will be checking for streets and slicks and match this against the driver's registered class.
Tread wear will also be checked- If you are past your wear indicators, you won't be allowed to run.

Other things to prep for:
BRING YOUR HELMET TO TECH INSPECTION
we will check for snell 95 or later

Lug nuts tightened
Battery secure
Seats and belts secure
Floor mats removed
Trunk empty
Tools removed
Glove box and center console empty
No suspension play
No fluid leaks and all caps tight
brake pedal travel OK
Windsheild intact

John- I'd like to be able to start tech inspection at 6:30 for early arrivals. I would also need 1 volunteer to help out. If anyone would like to help PM me and we'll get set up.
See everyone on the 30th
mark stepp

I will bring my leaf blower for track cleaning, but won't be able to clean the track. Any volunteers? ITS REAL FUN!!!!!
stepp

CDub said:
Just got the initial draft of the track layout.
Can you post the tentative layout?

Here is the close to final layout. Once at the track, we need to pre drive and figure out any obstacles (water, mud, dirt etc) that might change things. Ankle feeling OK?

Attachments

• Hollywood Park autoX track layout 3.JPG
    Hollywood Park autoX track layout 3.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 444
ANYTIME said:
Here is the close to final layout. Once at the track, we need to pre drive and figure out any obstacles (water, mud, dirt etc) that might change things. Ankle feeling OK?
Thanks. It's a lot better than yesterday. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow but I'm thinking I just might make it. It's easier for me to drive than walk right now. Just hope I don't have to push the clutch too many times or maybe I'll just stay in 2nd or 3rd gear thoughout the course. I'm not shooting for the quicket time, just want to have fun :)

Since we are starting so early ... someone should arrange with HWP to turn on the parking lot lights at 5 AM ... until it gets light enough outside. HWP didn't charge us to have the lights on for a couple of hours when we did clean up at our Sept. CSCC event ...

Is someone bringing Yellow Caution Tape to mark off the line between the access road and the track ... to keep "civilians" and kids on bikes from wandering onto the track ...

Also good to close off gaps in the paddock fence ...

ANYTIME said:
Details have been sent all entrants. Are you coming to spectate? Maybe I missed your entry form that was due by the 16th. I CANNOT add anyone because all forms have been printed and changes cannot be made. Sorry, maybe next time?

John,
Please see my post #38 on this thread. I sent my payment Monday, which I unfortunately understand is late. I sent you a PM a few days ago, but I haven't heard anything back. I'm assuming that I cannot attend. However, if someone has dropped out, or if for any reason I can still attend, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

I understand you have a monumental task of putting the AutoX together and I appologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,
Ryan Rush
Ryneen

Anytime,
I never heard back from you again. Good luck with the AutoX. Please send my check back when you can.
Ryan Rush

ryneen said:
Anytime,
I never heard back from you again. Good luck with the AutoX. Please send my check back when you can.
Ryan Rush

Uhh, you and your wife are signed up and on the roster.
I forgot to tell you!!!!!!!!! NOW get some sleep, we have a long day ahead of us.

John,
Thanks a ton. See you in the morning. My wife and I are looking forward to it. She'll be driving the as well.
Ryan

Thanks for letting us run with your beauties! I couldn't believe how horribly ordinary my plain Suby Wagon looked next to your gorgeous cars. They looked so cool carving into the corners! Some of them looked like they could use stiffer springs ... but at least they ride nicely. My WRX isn't a daily driver anymore because it's ride is so tough ... that's what it took to make it fast ...

My buddy Tom took photos of most everyone ... I'll try to get them all uploaded in the next couple of day. They aren't all as nice as these ... ;)
NicelowAngle-vi.jpg
NosesShaded-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice photos!

The mini cooper was awesome out there, especially the three-wheeling turns. Great shots.

I hope the MC did not *need* the tow, but was just getting a ride home?

Thanks again John (and all the helpers; Gill, Chris and others) for organizing for yet another superb auto cross event! :) :) :) :) :)

-Troy

The Mighty Mini blew it's clutch ... a performance clutch just put in about six weeks ago ... it had I believe four events on it since then ... at least 230+ hp to the wheels, LSD, lite weight flywheel ...

We let it cool off ... but nothing ... not a sound ... not a single bit of bite. One could go through the gears, motor running ... without putting the clutch in ... :-( Expensive ride home to Burbank!

Should have had AAA Plus ... gives you 100 free miles of towing ...

Back