• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

6 Speed Smoothness

something did change on the newer 6 speed transmission.

Acura lists a part number for 97-2000 and then a different part number for 01-03 and then for 04 or maybe just 2005 then revereted back to the 97 part number.

I know some here are not huge Redline oil fans but my MR2 had a slight grind in 1st to 2nd and I switched to Redline MTL and it never happened again, ever. For a later model I would even consider trying the Honda [white cap] MTF.

I may be way off on this, but maybe the 6 speeds being on newer cars (lower miles) need some time to break in. I have a '94 (I know it's a 5 speed), but I bought the car with 20,000 miles on it and it had some notchiness from 1st to 2nd, now with 50,000 miles on the car the shift from 1st to 2nd is as smooth as butter.
Steve

Looks I will try the "change the tranny flied" before I go postal on Honda!

So...what is "the best" transmission fluid out there?

Boy... interesting to see THIS kind of thread again...

I have had my 05 to the dealer on 3 occasions for this, and they always told me it is normal. The very last time, they changed the fluid to some "new" Acura fluid that has just become available. That made a big difference. It's not perfect, but it's much better.

Right now weather is warmer and I have no issues at all. Even on startup, it's smooth. On cold days, it's definitely notchy. How notchy? I did hear an actual GRIND once. It just isn't happy going 1-2 when cold. I tried different RPM's, rev matching, nothing helped.

My solution was to just go 1-3 and double clutch to reduce the stress on the synchros since skip shifting is an absolute no-no from Acura. If you double clutch, you won't hurt the trans. I let the car warm up fully, then shift 1-2.

The question is, is this a real inherent problem. They also told me at first that my wobbly headlamps were also "normal". Since I brought this issue up on the forum, and since Comtec took his apart, it's very clear that there is a design flaw with a washer that is too thin. So it's normal in that most have it, but not normal because it shouldn't be there.

The tech told me on the headlamps that the problem is that too few NSX owners complain. They are far and few in between anyway, and those that have a problem self-medicate. He said that Honda simply won't be aware of an issue unless more people complain. Be he clearly saw the problem in the headlamps. They ordered a new one for me, and its been good. It's a luck of the draw. Something in some of them is not to spec. I think this same thing may be happening with the trans. Not enough people complaining.

This problem too may never be adressed by Acura if not enough people complain. In a cold climate, it's bad. It's annoying. Like I said... so bad that I have had it grind once or twice. My suggestion to you is to definitely get the fluid changed over (should be under warranty) and DOCUMENT your complaints in case something does go wrong.

One last thing... the foreman at my dealer that has seen a lot of NSX's said that they went into one and replaced parts.. synchros and stuff... but that was to no avail. He didn't recommend getting into mine with such low milage, and I agreed. Anytime your car is taken apart at the dealer, it won't go back together the same way.

Ok...we need everyone with this problem to add to this thread and I will take it to Honda and see what can be done. Sound good?

Name ............... eMail ..................Year ...Milage
1. Todd McKelvie - [email protected] - 2002 - 32,000 miles

Someone should try the MTL and give feedback. $40 bucks that you may be glad you spent. It stopped the grind completely. I'm not pushing Redline but it worked very very well for me. :wink:

Ok...we need everyone with this problem to add to this thread and I will take it to Honda and see what can be done. Sound good?

Name ............... eMail ..................Year ...Milage
2. Turbo2go (I will PM you the rest).

3. Ben (info available on request)

Have had the problem since new. Definitely grinds on the 1-2 shift when the car has not warmed up yet. Ambient outside temperature is irrelevent, as it never really gets that cold where I am. I don't drive the car enough, so I've been lazy in taking it into the dealer, and that I don't really want to be messing around with taking apart the transmission with such low miles. Been taking a "wait and see" attitude, to see if someone else can definitely identify the problem, since I have 2 more years of warranty left, and another 5 years after that of extended warranty.

4. 02#154 (PM if/when info required)

I would say everyone on this thread should be on the list. But I am not sure if you will get anywhere with Honda. My point is that it should be documented that more than one or two owners have complained about the issue.

Feel free to add my name to the list, I complained to my Acura Dealer within the first month of my ownership (4 1/2 years ago on my 02), the car now has 34k on it and still when cold is notchy and grinds on occasion, but warm it up and it's like butter. I was told then that this is "normal". It's the only car that I've ever owned that acted in this manner, I don't think posting my name on an Internet Forum Website will mean anything to AmHonda, but be my guest!

5. Tooltime (info available upon request please) Thanks!

I know my 1st to 2nd is not normal.

Anytime your car is taken apart at the dealer, it won't go back together the same way.

+1

As for the 1-2 problem, I have never had a grind but this shift is definitely more notchy than others. I don't know if this is normal or not, but it seems to be common with 6-speed owners. You aren't the first, and I am sure you won't be the last to complain about this problem.

My 98 NSX with 24000 miles also will grind from 1st to 2nd if the transmission isn't warmed up a bit. I generally shift from 1st to 3rd untill the engine temp. comes up a bit and this seems to help. It does suck that a $90K car has this problem and it appears from this thread that it is a very common problem with a lot of cars. I'm glad to have read this thread because I thought that perhaps my car had a syncro problem manifesting itself, however with all of the posts I have read, it helps relieve some tension regarding this problem.

I agree it seems a bit much that a $90,000 car has any issues at all, but then I think of Ferrari and Lamborghini. lol

Anyway, yeah, my 97 does make a noise going from 1st to 2nd. It was REALLY bad when I fist bought it, I had Acura change the fluid last year and it make it much better, but it still makes me a bit uneasy. I'm going to try the SyncroMesh the next time I go in to Acura.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but there's no negatives at all to running syncroMesh right? It won't shortned the life of the trani, make it run hotter or anything?

I generally shift from 1st to 3rd untill the engine temp. comes up a bit and this seems to help.

You shouldn't do this without double clutching. This is very hard on the synchros. Please do a search for "Acura TSB skip shifting" and you will see a thread I posted on this. If you do it, make sure you double clutch (out of first and go to neutral, let the clutch out and back in, then go to 3rd).

Though I put my name on the list as being interested in seeing what, if anything, Acura might say I've already found my own "fix". For some reason, when I baby it when it's cold, that's when I get the notchy shifting. If I just drive it with quicker shifts I only get very smooth, very un-notchy shifts, even when it's cold. I noticed this after installing the NSX-R shift knob and lever. I thought the change to them made my notchiness worse but then learned that if I just drive it like it's supposed to be driven (not granny-shifting) (I hope there are no grannies reading this) then it's fine and rewards me with perfectly smooth shifts.

Maybe my issue is that when I'm granny shifting I'm letting the revs drop too much and the synchros aren't warmed up? As opposed to when I shift more quickly and the synchros don't have to do as much work to match the revs because they only drop to "where they should be".

No point... just saying.

J

I'm fully aware about the "skip shifting" warning from Acura. Of course I wonder what really is more damaging to the transmission, skip shifting until the tranny warms up---or---grinding the %#$^ out the tranny between 1st and 2nd gear. I only do the skip shift two times when leaving my addition and by then the transmission and engine are warm enough that the dreaded 1st to 2nd shift grind goes away. I believe I'm going to change the tranny to the GM spec fluid and see if it helps.

This is an excellent thread... I was just wondering the same thing myself as I've experienced the same thing on a hill near my home, when driving up the steep hill with the car cold it would feel notchy (no grinding), once it warmed up it was smooth coming back over the hill, which has a gentler incline than going out. Originally I thought it was the hill/incline, OK, dumb thought. I too will try the SyncroMesh. You can add me to the list:

5. Tooltime (info available upon request please)
6. Robare - [email protected] - 2002 - 22k miles

I'm fully aware about the "skip shifting" warning from Acura. Of course I wonder what really is more damaging to the transmission, skip shifting until the tranny warms up---or---grinding the %#$^ out the tranny between 1st and 2nd gear. I only do the skip shift two times when leaving my addition and by then the transmission and engine are warm enough that the dreaded 1st to 2nd shift grind goes away. I believe I'm going to change the tranny to the GM spec fluid and see if it helps.

I was told that if you double clutch you won't have to worry about the skip shift at all.

Is the S2000 6-speed and NSX 6-speed related or the same transmission in terms of shifting, parts, etc?

Reason I ask is that my 07 S2000 transmission is notchy between 1st and 2nd in the morning when the car has sat overnight. Once the engine warms up it then turns into smooth butter shifting but you can't let the revs drop while spirited shifting...

Interesting...

Jetpilot

Though I put my name on the list as being interested in seeing what, if anything, Acura might say I've already found my own "fix". For some reason, when I baby it when it's cold, that's when I get the notchy shifting. If I just drive it with quicker shifts I only get very smooth, very un-notchy shifts, even when it's cold. I noticed this after installing the NSX-R shift knob and lever. I thought the change to them made my notchiness worse but then learned that if I just drive it like it's supposed to be driven (not granny-shifting) (I hope there are no grannies reading this) then it's fine and rewards me with perfectly smooth shifts.

Maybe my issue is that when I'm granny shifting I'm letting the revs drop too much and the synchros aren't warmed up? As opposed to when I shift more quickly and the synchros don't have to do as much work to match the revs because they only drop to "where they should be".

No point... just saying.

J

Funny, I was going to post the same thing. When I first got my car, I noticed the grinding when it was cold. I think to compensate, I started granny shifting really slowing and would feel the grind even more. The more I focused on it, the more annoyed I got. Well, lately, I've just been shifting fast and don't notice it at all - even in the mornings. It is no longer an issue for me.

Is the S2000 6-speed and NSX 6-speed related or the same transmission in terms of shifting, parts, etc?

Reason I ask is that my 07 S2000 transmission is notchy between 1st and 2nd in the morning when the car has sat overnight. Once the engine warms up it then turns into smooth butter shifting but you can't let the revs drop while spirited shifting...

Interesting...

Jetpilot

I had an '05 S2000. No problems with shifting at all under any condition.

Back