• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'91 A/C issue...need advice please

'91 w/38K miles, purchased 1 yr ago. A/C was serviced at that time, some O-rings replaced and recharged with dye. Blowing "cool" but not COLD now. I'm in SC and need COLD ! I've read all threads on this subject I can find and have the following questions: My mechanic has determined by the dye that the leak is in the vicinity of the evap.

1) I assume 1st step is to remove the blower to determine exactly location of the leak ?

2) If expansion valve is culprit, replace it, recharge and be glad it wasn't the evap/dash removal ! Is part still available ? If not is there a substitute ?

3)if evap is leaking: A) is repair a viable solution ? An "expert/craftsman" welder is available if this is an option.
B) if evap must be replaced: What do we replace it with ? I understand original part is discontinued ? Is a substitute workable ? Are modifications necessary ? If so how extensive ?

Thanks in advance for any advice to resolve this...

Getting a good alum welder to do the fix is easy, getting it out is the freaking beast of all time. no if they cant fix your let me know I have 2 spares I will part with one for a fairly new owner LOL

what I would try is drain all 134a if its been converted prob has been, then do an oil charge and fill it back up but use 134a with leak sealer this is a cheap fix that may last a long time but your know in the back of your mind it needs to be fixed when it breaks again.

my 92 just last month was ice one day and luke cold the next I put about a half can of 134a back in and its back to ice again.

try leak sealer first so it it fixes the little hole if not PM me for the part

Was the A/C serviced a year ago because of a problem? Or as preventative maintenance?

Does the system have R12 or R134a? If it has R134a, do you know when it was converted?

It was serviced because no cold air. Car had not been driven in several years..(36K miles)..83 yr old owner in poor health. Was converted at that time a year ago and "severa" o-rings replaced I think..was tested and held pressure with no problem. Shawn's response above mentioned leak sealer...I thuoght I'd read in a post that leak sealer might not be a good idea long term ? Thnaks for your input !!

- - - Updated - - -

Shawn,
Thanks for the reply and offer. I thought I'd read in an old post that leak sealer was not a good idea long term ? Not that it will eventually leak again but that it might cause other issues ? I'm due to take it in on the 6th. If they determine it is the evap I may PM you for a replacement....obviously i'm HOPING it's the expansion valve !!
Thanks again,
Jim III

Leak sealer can gum up your compressor and cause it to fail prematurely. The NSX evap is a known issue. Almost all will develop a pinhole leak eventually. Mine has one and I just refill every Spring, but it's starting to get worse. I already bought a replacement evap so I'm ready.

I would give sealer a go .I used it 4 years ago in hard to get at evap in earthmoving equipment and still going strong.

Manufactures of this sealer would not produce a product that would gum up the system as they would be sued.I would not hesitate to use it in my NSX,its worth a try only if you have a leak and not a compressor or some other issue.

I've had my fair share of AC issues on my car.

1) I started off with no cold air. Refilled it with a R12A equivalent (propane based). Worked for the remaining months of summer. Winter time, stored the car. Spring time, no refrigerant left.
2) Put in "leak stop" to rejuvenate the o-rings. Refilled refrigerant. Leaked out again in a few months.
3) Put in "pro seal" to seal pin hole size leaks. Refilled refrigerant. Leaked out again in a few months. Winter time, stored the car. At this point, I was ready to pull the dash and DIY replace the evaporator, but got lazy :frown:
4) Brought it in to Acura in the spring time for a leak/dye test. Found no leaks.
5) Replaced AC compressor and drier. Excavated the whole system. Recharged with R134. Blows cold and has stayed cold for 2 seasons now.
6) Replaced rad fan module to solve AC compressor on/off issue. (mostly solved, but still the AC compressor cuts in and out on the highway - what are the other possible triggers to stop the AC compressor from running?)

Apparently it was discontinued in the last 2 years, because I bought one 2 years ago from Acura. They do come with the expansion valve assembled already. Evaps leak eventually on the majority of these cars. If available, I'd replace it over repairing it. That's a huge gamble on such a labor intense job. I keep R12 on hand so I'm still using R12.

Am having problems with my AC now and have identified the evaporator core as the culprit. Your signature indicates you have a 91 which has a different part # that the one listed below which is for a 93-05. Did you have to do anything special to any fittings to get this piece to work? The part on paper looks to be identical, just wanted to confirm before i started to rip things out.

Thanks,

Back