• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

92 NSX studdering and sounds odd at idle

I have been a long time lurker of NSX prime and this is my first post. I am a BMW guy (own a '11 M3 and 03 M5) but I was 17 when my father purchased a white 92 nsx. The car is still in the family and only has 40K on it. I was visiting my parents in Hilton Head last weekend and drove the car for the first time in 2 years. He does not drive it but he does start it from time to time. I have advised against just starting and to give it a short drive instead to get it up to temp quickly vs idling for 30 mins. Anyway, the idle sounds odd and when you drive it it feels like someone is shutting off the fuel...studdering under all different throttle loads. I will be going there to trailer it back to my house this weekend. I will be essentially doing the 60K service...plugs, all filters, ABL, bleeding the brakes, changing the trans-axle fluid etc.... My thought is that the throttle body is gummed up and or the plugs are fouled. No CEL or check engine light or whatever you call it in the NSX world. I have done a search and can't find anything. Thoughts?Thanks in advance!Adam

You may need to cycle the engine through several heat cycles and take it out on the road to get the computer to learn what is "normal" again

Thank you Len. Would disconnecting the battery for a day or so erase the driving technique memory? Also, where do you guys order parts from...seems very hard to find a good website and supplier.

same gas for 2 years?

That's a good question...I know he loves "dry gas" or stabil (which i hate because it gives a false sense that the gas is good forever) but it could be the same tank of gas. The battery showed 11.5v so its ok. So is it better to burn the bad gas knowing that I will be changing plugs and all consumable fluids or should i drain it which can be dangerous. Also where do you order parts from? Thanks!Adam

That's a good question...I know he loves "dry gas" or stabil (which i hate because it gives a false sense that the gas is good forever) but it could be the same tank of gas. The battery showed 11.5v so its ok. So is it better to burn the bad gas knowing that I will be changing plugs and all consumable fluids or should i drain it which can be dangerous. Also where do you order parts from? Thanks!Adam

for parts-
http://www.oemacuraparts.com/

tim poliniak there know a lot about nsx's and has been a good friend to primers

Hi Adam,
Cleaning the TB would be a good place to start. If your cleaning everything and changing the fuel filter i would drain the old gas IF it's been in the tank more then a year. There is a drain on the bottom of the tank. Mine started getting a bouncing idle just before the fuel pump failed. Hopefully that's not you problem but always turn the key on and wait a second before starting to let the pump build pressure. Listen to the sound it makes and if the pump fails you will know because the short whine when you switch the key on will be gone.

You can disconnect the battery but all you need to do is remove the 7.5A clock fuse (I think #33 ) from the main relay box for 10 seconds to reset the ECU

Mike

Great info. Thank you all. Got the car to Greenville, SC last night. Oil smells of gas...Exhaust smells of unburned gas and there is a lot of moisture even when hot coming from the exhaust pipes. Idle is bouncing but the fuel pump seems fine for now. Check engine light came on but I have not pulled codes yet. Seems to me that one or more spark plugs are not working. There is a deep "puttering" noise under light throttle but goes away when off the gas in gear...so seems to me that when the fuel is cut (coasting in gear) all sounds the same when gas is injected I have the puttering. All leading me to spark issues. I will keep you updated and thanks again for all the help!

Check your coil packs as well. Mine was studdering super bad in all RPM ranges, but worse in 0-4k range. Replaced the coils and worked a lot better.

Hope you figure it out.

My guess is your plugs are in need of replacement. When you remove the coils also check for moisture, especially the rear bank.

I have been traveling so thanks for your replies. The coils checked out for resistance. Found the issue or some of it...The rear bank spark plugs all had oil on them the center and drivers side were soaked (entire plug in and out of the cylinder) The driver side was the worst. The plugs were so loose that i probably could have removed them with my finders. The plugs were coated with sludge and smelled like gas and motor oil. So I think it was running on 4 cylinders.

I ordered a new gasket and the tube seals. Has anyone done the tube seals (gaskets)? I have seen a lot of acura but no NSX specific DIY. I am very handy but have never done tube seals.

- - - Updated - - -

The Acura dealer tells me that there is only a fuel filter in the tank. Is that true?

Last edited:
The fuel filter is located on the passenger side of the engine bay. It is next to the resistor unit. It's black, round, has two fittings/lines coming out of it. Shouldn't be hard to miss.

Pulled the rear valve cover last night after getting my tube seals and gaskets from Acura. The middle and drivers side tube seals were missing! Replaced the gaskets and tube seals, replaced the plugs and started it up. Ran it for 5 mins. Sounds brand new and smooth. I did notice a little wetness around the valve cover nut grommets...pesky little things. I am going to back the nuts out and see if i can "re-seat" them. I may just replace them. My worry is that the studs are not centered and the grommets are not allowed to seat properly.

Next is the intake cleaning, ABS (I think the pump is bad), transmission fluid, fuel filter, brake fluid flush and finally an oil change. Am I missing anything?

Pulled the rear valve cover last night after getting my tube seals and gaskets from Acura. The middle and drivers side tube seals were missing! Replaced the gaskets and tube seals, replaced the plugs and started it up. Ran it for 5 mins. Sounds brand new and smooth. I did notice a little wetness around the valve cover nut grommets...pesky little things. I am going to back the nuts out and see if i can "re-seat" them. I may just replace them. My worry is that the studs are not centered and the grommets are not allowed to seat properly.

Next is the intake cleaning, ABS (I think the pump is bad), transmission fluid, fuel filter, brake fluid flush and finally an oil change. Am I missing anything?

No you will be ok. Check when the timing belt and the water pump were done last time.

If the ABS pump is bad, it won't be able to pressurize the system and throw a ALB light. If you hear the pump making a annoying clicking noise, it is normal ! Just make a good flush of the system. http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm
The first generation ABS system can be a bit tricky. But it is old school and easily serviceable. Flush it often and it will be ok.

Back