• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A beautiful December day at Laguna Seca

Sometimes its great to Live in Cali......like when you want to do an HPDE 7 days before Christmas...........:smile:

It was a very nice day......sun shinning....a few clouds.....maybe 70.

beautifulday.jpg

LS1.jpg

LS4.jpg

LS6.jpg

There were some nice cars out today........

AppleFerrari.jpg

blackseries.jpg

Caddy.jpg

corvette.jpg

Dons.jpg

Ferrari1.jpg

FordGT.jpg

Lotus.jpg

Magnum.jpg

stradale.jpg

Vantage.jpg

Viper.jpg

TomsNSX.jpg

Oh Thanks
LOOKS WONDERFUL
Not bad enough I couldn't squeeze in last minute,
nice and foggy here
just don't tell me about the no shows or the db busters
I was half tempted to show up and hope

At least I have rear tread left

Alex

that shot of you deep into the corkscrew (with 911 trying to keep up) is an absolute ripper !

I've done that !! (well, in Gran Turismo 3 at least :smile:)

Last edited:
I was in the "SILKRIP" black NSX that Dhalsim shows in his nice pictures. He and I had pretty similar lap times, so it was great fun. He was faster in turn 9, and I could pull him a bit on the straight. In one session, I got blackflagged for an exuberant saving of the car in turn 5, while a certain red NSX later went off in turn 9. I told him that was where Kip went off in the race, and he felt better. I also praised him for going straight off instead of trying to save the car and risking a turn-over - that was pretty quick thinking. He was able to drive out of the gravel no problem (except for the front lip spoiler that had come off).

For those who followed the previous thread on tires, here are the results of my testing of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires with skinny 205's in the rear on stock rims:
Chris and a few other experts were right - the car was twitchy! I used 32 front and 36 rear cold pressures, and the car would plow into the turn and transition to oversteer at the apex. Very entertaining but spooky. I could usually balance the car with the throttle, but, as shown by my adventure in turn 5, not always. At least turn 5 exits uphill, so that was my saving grace there I think. Laguna Seca is a good place to test this kind of thing because almost every turn (the Corkscrew excepted) is isolated. Plus the weather was perfect. The tires took a while to come up to temperature in each session but then settled in to being not sticky enough in the rear.

I guess I could use these tires in the Open Road Challenge events because of the low g forces there, but I won't use them at the track again.

Tom,

It was nice meeting you and following another NSX around the track for a while and I was happy to see I got a few pics of my car and yours together on the track. Here are a few more I didnt post.

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

x3.jpg

x4.jpg

x5.jpg

I used 32 front and 36 rear cold pressures, and the car would plow into the turn and transition to oversteer at the apex.

I have used Michelin Pilot Sport Cup's although a larger tire.
I found Hot pressure of 32 ft and 35 rear work well. I would suspect hot vs. cold pressures to be ~8-10 psi higher.

The Michelin Pilot Sport Cup are great until they are heat cycled out. I was at odds to determine when they were done.
When done there would be ample tread left but would not offer any grip.
When new they work well.

Later,
Don

Dhalsim, thanks for your great pictures and for your friendly conversation at the track! One thing that impressed the heck out of me was that you continued to be really fast through turn 9 even after your off track excursion. I thought I'd catch a break with you being more timid there, but you just continued to press beautifully.

Don, thanks for the excellent information on tires and pressures. You, of course, are in a different league when it comes to driving fast! Good thing they have separate categories or I'd have gotten run over! I agree with you on lower pressures, but I have to run high pressures for the Open Road Challenge events to keep the tires from building up too much heat, so I wanted to test the tires with that setup. I also agree that the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires are pretty good - I just have a stupidly small size in the rear, so it's more a comment on the driver than the tire.

All the best,

cool pic's, esp. the one where your loading the left front in the Corkscrew!

Back