• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A/C blows white odorless "smoke"

GDV

On and off, my A/C will blow white odorless "smoke". I know it is not really smoke, but that is what it looks like. The local Acura dealer said it was common and that I should not be concerned about it. Anyone have simlar results or any ideas? Thanks for the help!

David, thanks for replying. It only occurs when the A/C is on and only happens intermitently over the summer. Your analysis sounds right and comports with what Acura told me, although it still seems odd because it has not happened on any of the other cars we have owned (RX-7, ES-300, RX-300).

The evaporator design has a lot to do with it. The less moisture that is in the air by the time it gets into the cabin, the less likely it is to do this. Freon runs a bit colder than the newer replacements, so it may be more likely to cause it, but it is not the problem.

------------------
Don't no nuttin 'bout no NSX;
Don't no nuttin 'bout birthin' no babbies.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 06 September 2001).]

My 2000 does the same thing daily ( Ilive in Florida). I believe it is a result of the fact that the compressor gets cycled on and off for temperature control rather than the less efficient but more humidity controlling method of adding some heat the the airstream. I often use the recirc feature and this will reduce the "smoke". I tested a new Odyssey yest. and noted that on full auto the climate control was able to turn the recirc on and off as needed to cool the van quickly.

Back