• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A different kind of speed

That looks like it would be unbelievably intense! One of these days I would love to try it. Thanks for posting this. Anyone want to make this a Prime get together? :cool:

Last edited:
I can't imagine being the first guy to try it. There had to be some doubt if it would work.:eek:

The bald guy in the video I posted above is Jeb Corliss. He's kind of the founding father of this from what I understand. Very depressed guy who didn't care if he lived or died. Tried skydiving and always pushed it to the limits because he still didn't care. Now he lives for it. He's designing a tube in Vegas that he can skydive into that would break his fall through a gradual tunnel. Nuts!:smile:

Re: youth.... not afraid to bleed

We kinda beat wingsuit flying up pretty good here and here a year or so ago. For people who confuse base jumpers with skydivers, I tell them that cliff flying is to skydiving like canyon running is to track time. Risk-wise, there's no comparison.

WRT to Corliss, he will do it, no doubt. The only queston is will he do it twice? The real obstacle/challenge to doing it even once is not gravity or speed but the $2 to 12 mill to build his landing cone, get all the FAA and other waivers etc and promote the stunt. As much as Vegas's circus atmosphere would want it there, I would think building it on a ski slope would be the most practical/affordable.

Corliss has lots of competition to be the first chuteless landing but I would think Jetman should have an edge since he shouldn't need a ramp/cone. Not exactly the same challenge but just as big a Wow factor.

Re: youth.... not afraid to bleed

How's this for a wow factor. Prolly end up on Jackass someday.

http://www.gamaniak.com/embed.swf?f...cente-cote-buggyrollin.html&displayclick=link

Corliss has lots of competition to be the first chuteless landing but I would think Jetman should have an edge since he shouldn't need a ramp/cone. Not exactly the same challenge but just as big a Wow factor.
On a more semi-serious note, this might be the kind of equipment Corliss would need for the first chuteless freefall landing. Of course he'll have to modify his wingsuit but that should be no big deal. :rolleyes:

Holy crap! Human flying squirrels. Those guys are nuts. One misque with a wind current and they're gonna need toothbrushes to clean-up the remains for something to bury. Still, a remarkable sport. Very entertaining video. Thanks for posting!

Re: Jeb Corliss, at it again........

Jumping thru a hole in a mountain in China. Whatever, Ho hum........... wake me when he builds his landing funnel and lands without a parachute. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0xqNln5RU

that guy has been trying to get funding to built a self-designed landing ramp so he can land on the ramp with a wing suit without a parachute.

It's probably not as bad as it looks. You have more control over it than bungee jumping from a bridge where you just have to "HOPE!" :eek:

Back