• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A lap at buttonwillow

Wow, that's the video overlay for Harry's Laptimer? I haven't played around with the video, but that's very cool.

Nice lap!

Good work man! That M3 in front SUCKS!
Gonna have to bring my NSX out there next time!

Looks like you're using Harry's Laptimer.

Can you post a very detailed setup of how you configured it, what accessories, what version of the app, how you mounted the phone, angle, configuration, etc? As much as you can provide - the better. I've read EVERYTHING on the website about it, I just want to hear more directly from someone actually using the setup in the NSX.

Thanks.

Looks like you're using Harry's Laptimer.

Can you post a very detailed setup of how you configured it, what accessories, what version of the app, how you mounted the phone, angle, configuration, etc? As much as you can provide - the better. I've read EVERYTHING on the website about it, I just want to hear more directly from someone actually using the setup in the NSX.

Thanks.

1. I downloaded the App (pro version) version 15.0.2
2. Setup up app and changed the units to US (found gear ratios on wiki)
3. Downloaded the track (buttonwillow)
4. I used this mount -- iGrip Window and Dash Car Mount for iPhone 4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VBBZ5I/ref=wms_ohs_product

5. mounted it on the rear window between the seats.
6. started app and selected video and front camera --the app will know the start/finish line and automatically start recording (pretty cool)
7. Drive like hell
8. after your done stop recording
9. find the fastest lap or whatever lap you want and select it then push "overlay" button. It will then overlay all data (this takes a long time)
10. get beer
11. go to camera roll and enjoy or export to computer, youtube!

hope this helps. I really liked the app and found the timing very close to transponder. I think happa compared the 2 times a while back.

Erik
http://outrageousracing.com

Wait.....your saying you used an iPhone to take that video and used an app to create the overlay? If so that's friggin awesome.

Wait.....your saying you used an iPhone to take that video and used an app to create the overlay? If so that's friggin awesome.

The recording and overlay is done in the App itself.
It's a powerful app, that records data points at a rate of once per second. Records GPS location, speed, aceleration, lateral Gs, time. It's pretty damn awesome and is within +/- 0.2 seconds from the official timers that the track uses.

I have the same/similar mount (got it off eBay), but I have yet to try to the recording/overlay function. I mount mine on my windshield and just have it record data and use my GoPro to do video recording.

BTW, I have the standard version (which is $8.99) and is well worth the purchase price (considering pro timing is usually around $20 a day at the track).

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know iPhone lap timers had gotten that good. I think getting an external mic for the iPhone and putting the mic down behind the seats will greatly reduce wind noise and make it all engine noise.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know iPhone lap timers had gotten that good. I think getting an external mic for the iPhone and putting the mic down behind the seats will greatly reduce wind noise and make it all engine noise.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

I reached out to Harry (app designer) and he gave me a code to down the pro version for free. I'm doing some testing with 3.5mm 4-pole mini AV to mini AV cable in order to connect an external mic (Zoom H1) to the iPhone in order to get HQ surround sound along with the iPhone video.

I just need to make sure I get a strong enough mount for the phone to minimize any vibration. Once I confirm everything works with an external mic, I'm going to provide Harry specifics on what is needed and whether or not any code changes are needed in the software. :)

As far as mount - I'm going to use the heavy duty suction cup mount that came with my GoPro unit and purchase a cheap hard case to use specifically for the iPhone to mount in the car. :) That should add more stability over the unit you linked on Amazon.

GoPro Mount:
084240939_083947121d4210c8d7d46820a6358402adfe8429c2d517ad6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm doing some testing with 3.5mm 4-pole mini AV to mini AV cable in order to connect an external mic (Zoom H1) to the iPhone in order to get HQ surround sound along with the iPhone video.

I'm about 99.9% sure you will only be able to record Mono audio with the iPhone 3.5mm jack, unless you use a 3rd party piece of hardware that connects to the Dock connector.

Here's the cable Pinout for the 3.5mm jack. Note that the iPhone cable (center cable) has only 1 mic input (Mono).
ipodiphoneav-review-5.jpg

You'd probably need something like this Belkin Tunetalk to get stereo recording, though I'm not sure how well it will work with Harry's software.
BEL-TUNETALK.jpg

I think stereo sound will be 99% irrelevant to a track video. Surround even less so. Wind-free sound, minimizing distortion, and correct levels will make it sound awesome.

I think stereo sound will be 99% irrelevant to a track video. Surround even less so. Wind-free sound, minimizing distortion, and correct levels will make it sound awesome.

I just read on youtube you can edit the video thru youtube and add there "approved" music. I agree I needed to get rid of that wind noise. I will be a willow springs in 2 weeks and make a better video for y'all!

All you probably need is some of this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lcWPpYRdcxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back