• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

aAttress..AGAIN

I bought a mattress, Bassett, about 3 months ago. Something is wrong with the mattress. It has a huge sink hole in it on both sides. I have tried flipping the top for bottom and it is now worse than it was before. I have tried to get someone to warranty it but they won't because our lab drooled on it, a spot no bigger than a nickle. Anyways I am going to have to buy a new mattress. I was thinking about trying the Tri-Pedic mattress. Anyone use the Tri-Pedic? How has it been for you? Also I thought someone on here owned a mattress store and maybe could get me a good deal if the shipping is not too bad. If not, does anyone know where the best deals are on the internet. Also is there really any difference between Temperpedic and the off brands? I just unloaded 3k on my current mattress that is now trash. I would like to save a little cash if I can since I had bad luck with the current mattress.
Thanks in advance

Sorry about the title of the thread. Is there anyway to edit the title?

Be careful with the Temperpedic mattress. They hold in your body heat and it feels like you are sleeping on hot coals. I've had the best success with Stearns & Foster which are available at most high end retail stores.

Be careful with the Temperpedic mattress. They hold in your body heat and it feels like you are sleeping on hot coals. I've had the best success with Stearns & Foster which are available at most high end retail stores.

I thought they might so I did some research and thats when I found the Tri-pedic. It is not suppose to hold in the heat as much.

There is a prime member in TX that owns a mattress store, but I think that shipping on the sort I was looking at pretty much killed any potential savings over a new local purchase. I was looking at a Tempurpedic type myself because my back is a mess, and also because in our new place, there is no way to get anything larger than a twin up the two flights of stairs to our bedroom unless you can bend/fold it (love these old new england houses).

There's a New England chain called Bob's Discount Furniture that carries Tempurpedic knock offs and the one I was looking at was their top of the line which was around $1600 in king size. As it turned out, my brother-in-law's wife worked for this chain and they had a 'seconds' room at their Manchester, CT location where they'd sell stuff at a discount that were demos, had footprints, were returned, etc. We ended up paying $630 for our $1600 mattress. We got a split firmness, my side "plush" my wife's "firm".

After living with it for around 7 months, here's my opinion....

- Plush started out well, but after it broke in, it's TOO plush. When my wife rolls out of bed, I roll onto her side, it's much more comfortable to me. We were just discussing last night and we're going to turn the mattress so it's firm at the top and plush at the bottom (it's 78x80 so no big deal).

- Heat retention. It's great in the winter in that it soaks up and retains your body heat, it can be brutal in the summer unless you REALLY crank the AC. Even then, I still find myself sometimes sleeping on top of lots of covers or on the floor for part of the night.

Would I buy one again? Absolutely, only I'd go firm all around.

There is a prime member in TX that owns a mattress store, but I think that shipping on the sort I was looking at pretty much killed any potential savings over a new local purchase. I was looking at a Tempurpedic type myself because my back is a mess, and also because in our new place, there is no way to get anything larger than a twin up the two flights of stairs to our bedroom unless you can bend/fold it (love these old new england houses).

There's a New England chain called Bob's Discount Furniture that carries Tempurpedic knock offs and the one I was looking at was their top of the line which was around $1600 in king size. As it turned out, my brother-in-law's wife worked for this chain and they had a 'seconds' room at their Manchester, CT location where they'd sell stuff at a discount that were demos, had footprints, were returned, etc. We ended up paying $630 for our $1600 mattress. We got a split firmness, my side "plush" my wife's "firm".

After living with it for around 7 months, here's my opinion....

- Plush started out well, but after it broke in, it's TOO plush. When my wife rolls out of bed, I roll onto her side, it's much more comfortable to me. We were just discussing last night and we're going to turn the mattress so it's firm at the top and plush at the bottom (it's 78x80 so no big deal).

- Heat retention. It's great in the winter in that it soaks up and retains your body heat, it can be brutal in the summer unless you REALLY crank the AC. Even then, I still find myself sometimes sleeping on top of lots of covers or on the floor for part of the night.

Would I buy one again? Absolutely, only I'd go firm all around.

I found the thread from when you were looking for a mattress. That bob's looks like a pretty good place to buy a mattress. Problem is the closest one is 3 hours one way drive from my house. BUT their top of the line traditional bed is 1600 bucks and looks really nice. I think I just might go with the traditional bed but I don't have the time to go buy it out of state. I seem to put out a lot of body heat and tend to overheat on a traditional bed so I would probably bake on a foam mattress. I know this for sure...my back is not going to take many more nights of the POS mattress I have now. I am so pissed a 3k item is broken after only 3 months of use. I took a closer look at it a couple of minutes ago and it is definatly broken inside. It looks like the boxspring failed and then the mattress failed from the boxspring failing.

What is with the no-name mattresses you are buying?

Simmons is one of the best if not the best. Give them a try.

What about one of the those adjustable air beds????I have always thought that might be the way to go but keep choking on the price. Thoughts?

I just unloaded 3k on my current mattress that is now trash. I would like to save a little cash if I can since I had bad luck with the current mattress.

Steveny, I did some aggressive research into mattresses a little over a year ago. The most frustrating part is that mattress manufacturers make it extremely difficult to compare brands and models. For example, manufacturers will sell the exact same mattresses to different stores who obtain exclusive model rights or rebrand them as their own, etc..

I have a friend in the mattress business and found that most people who actually like their mattress took the time to visit a store and use the mattress as if it were their own. Most people will just push on a mattress or lay down for a minute or two.

Per consumer reports, they found that a person who spends at least 15 minutes will be significantly happier with their mattress purchase. It can be a little embarrassing lying on a mattress in a store for 20 minutes, but it's the best all around method of choice.

I ended up going with a king size Simmons Beautyrest Black

http://www.beautyrestblack.com/collection_orchid.html

I’m still extremely happy with it.

-Nick

Re: Mattress..AGAIN

we've got a high-end sleep number bed that i've never been able to find the "right number" for my personal satisfaction. if it's too low / soft, it craters and mid-lower body / joints ache; if it's too high / hard, it's just damn uncomfortable for a good night's rest. worst bed-related decision i made since... ah, never mind.

best mattress we ever had was custom-made by a local shop, then we added ~3 inches of egg carton shaped foam on top of that (under the sheet). it was perfect! then we got a new bedroom set and the new frame was the wrong size for the mattress set; bought 2 different mattress sets over 7 years for the "new" bed frame and finally 1.5 years ago bought the sleep number.

when i want a good night's sleep, i go in the guest room with the good mattress and sleep well.

just writing about it makes me cranky again.

i was listening to a local talk show the other day and the host was interviewing a fitness "expert" and an orthopedic surgeon. a caller talked about various mattresses and asked what the doc thought. the doc said the biggest problem with finding the right mattress is that because most of us gain weight and have various age-related issues as we get older, finding the "right" mattress is a real problem but the best possible way is to go to a mattress store with a good selection and plan on spending a considerable amount of time testing the mattresses.

good luck with your search. from what i've read, you work waaaay too hard / many hours to not get a good night's sleep. with a baby and a ferrari coming, you'll want to be in tip-top shape ;)
hal

Some really great advice here. It also makes me feel a lot better that I am not the only one confused. It has been impossible to do any real research that pertains to more than one bed. There really needs to be some governmental control so the consumer knows what the hell is going on.

Anyways I just woke up after sleeping sideways, got the idea from robr. The bed was a bit better than sleeping the regular way. I am going to head out today and see what I can find. Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm not a mattresss expert but I would say that sleep is very important to your health. You might as well spend some $$ on a decent mattress if you spend 1/3 of your life on it. Makes sense considering how much you/I blow on cars.

I have a friend in the mattress business and found that most people who actually like their mattress took the time to visit a store and use the mattress as if it were their own. Most people will just push on a mattress or lay down for a minute or two.

Per consumer reports, they found that a person who spends at least 15 minutes will be significantly happier with their mattress purchase. It can be a little embarrassing lying on a mattress in a store for 20 minutes, but it's the best all around method of choice.

See that's the problem. Steve tried doing that 3 months ago when he bought the Bassett in question, but he and his wife were trying to have a kid around the same time and kept getting kicked out of every store. He never got to fully test any of them.:biggrin:

See that's the problem. Steve tried doing that 3 months ago when he bought the Bassett in question, but he and his wife were trying to have a kid around the same time and kept getting kicked out of every store. He never got to fully test any of them.:biggrin:

Good point and now it has become clear to me the exact reason why this mattress is broken after just 3 months of use.:biggrin:

Good point and now it has become clear to me the exact reason why this mattress is broken after just 3 months of use.:biggrin:

:biggrin: You should keep it as a souvenir and be proud that you destroyed it in just 3 months.:biggrin:

I Bought Two Mattress Toppers At Sams Club For My King Size Bed. Used My Medium Firm Old Mattress Under Them. Very Comfortable. Have Experienced No Heat, Problem. Also Bought Temperpedic Style Pillows. Sliced Them In Two And Use Them In Car And Boat With Cover. More Comfortable Than Any Conventional Foam Or Padding. Am Going To Have New Cushions For Sailboat Made With It. It Is Rather Heavy Though.

Back