• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

About to powdercoat my wheels...

Danny_Ocean

Suspended
I have stock ('96?) wheels on my '93 and am about to have them powdercoated (titanium). Question is...what to do with the center caps? Can they also be powdercoated to match? Does anyone sell a plain center cap (no logo) that can be powdercoated?

NSX.jpg

If the center caps are plastic they can't be powdercoated. Powercoating has to be baked after it is applied and the plastic would melt. If they are all metal they can be powdercoated.

Right, and I think the stock caps are plastic(?). Where to get a metal "blank" that fits the stock wheels (or anything else that would fit and look good with a Ti color)?

You might see how much a local machine shop would charge to make you some out of aluminum(copy of the plastic caps). Some machine shops are hurting for work in this economy and are taking on little projects like this to fill shop time.

SOS may sell "blank" centercaps for the oem wheels.Or just waite till after the wheels are done then go to the local hobby store and find a paint color that matches,or maybe contrasts nicely,like black.

SOS may sell "blank" centercaps for the oem wheels.Or just waite till after the wheels are done then go to the local hobby store and find a paint color that matches,or maybe contrasts nicely,like black.

Many, many years ago, we used to buy metal center caps for OEM wheels from Dali. Check them out.

The center caps have a thin aluminum disc which is glued to the plastic backing , if you can remove them without destroying them (heat gun?) then you can get them powder coated.

we don't know that the wheels wouldn't have cracked anyway w/o being powder coated. Especially since it was on a tracked s2000. maybe the excessive heat cycles / stress .. i find that much easier to believe.

s2000 wheels are cast and nsx wheels are forged

I find it hard to believe that baking the wheels at 300-400 degrees has an effect on the aluminium

the wheel is mounted to a hub that is part of the braking system that gets way hotter all of the time then 300-400 degrees.

way to many variables for me to draw any conclusions. i personally do prefer painting wheels as opposed to powder coating for a whole different reason, it is easy for me to touch up a scratch in paint (have extra paint the exact color) versus repairig a chip in the powder coat.

Last edited:
I've had 3 sets of NSX wheels powdercoated(on 3 different NSX's I have owned) and have had NO problems with any of them, but I do not track the car. As for the center caps I use the caps from a 94-96 that they call solaris silver and they are almost a perfect match to my titanium colored wheels. You might find another owner of a 94-96 locally and check these caps out.

I have been warned about powdercoating any alloys with magnesium...

I've had 3 sets of NSX wheels powdercoated(on 3 different NSX's I have owned) and have had NO problems with any of them, but I do not track the car. As for the center caps I use the caps from a 94-96 that they call solaris silver and they are almost a perfect match to my titanium colored wheels. You might find another owner of a 94-96 locally and check these caps out.

+1. One of wigginsville's old sets is on my car right now and they look fantastic. At least, I think its a set he had powdercoated. They're so perfect they could be OEM.:smile:
2 1/2 years in and no problems.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84594

Last edited:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=718603

This is a thread on S2ki.com (S2000 forum) and it shows what happened to one guys powder coated wheels. Just a heads up, that powder coating can have some bad effects, evidently.

I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

I've had powder coated ALL of my car wheels as well as friends wheels of various makes and models.

NOT a single negative effect as described by the S2k guys.

Given that the wheels were subjected to severe racing conditions and cracked near the center of the hubs I would like to know what the temps of the wheels where in that area when the owner was continuously applying his brakes on and off.

The heat from the brakes should transmit to the wheel. Couple that with high G-forces and the rest is history.

I have stock ('96?) wheels on my '93 and am about to have them powdercoated (titanium). Question is...what to do with the center caps? Can they also be powdercoated to match? Does anyone sell a plain center cap (no logo) that can be powdercoated?

there are companies that make the matching paint for the powder coat so that u can paint the center caps to match.

we don't know that the wheels wouldn't have cracked anyway w/o being powder coated. Especially since it was on a tracked s2000. maybe the excessive heat cycles / stress .. i find that much easier to believe.

s2000 wheels are cast and nsx wheels are forged

I find it hard to believe that baking the wheels at 300-400 degrees has an effect on the aluminium

the wheel is mounted to a hub that is part of the braking system that gets way hotter all of the time then 300-400 degrees.

way to many variables for me to draw any conclusions. i personally do prefer painting wheels as opposed to powder coating for a whole different reason, it is easy for me to touch up a scratch in paint (have extra paint the exact color) versus repairig a chip in the powder coat.

+1

On that note I wonder what engine temps the NSX piston faces and heads are exposed to?

If it's anywhere near or exceeding the 300F mark, shouldn't they just crack or fall apart?

If ur powder coated wheels are some standard color with no strange texture, there is no reason why the vendor don't have a matching paint for tough ups.

you could just paint them with a can. It really doesnt look bad at all. Professional almost. bro did his s2k and is300 back in the day. Looks good on the s2k to this day. Long process of sanding with grit paper and primering and repeating then finally clear coating it.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 123
Back