• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS/ALB trouble

Hello, (and sorry for my english) :redface:
when turn on my NSX, after few meters I hear on front (maybe on left front area) a rumor like a ABS reset/check.
It takes about 3/4 second and after more 5 second again and so on. The rumor like a "trrrrrrrr" stops just when car is not moving (as to traffic light) and it takes again just I'm going on.
Maybe a trouble in modulator unit, anyway the ALB check light is OFF, no error reported.
Oil it's ok, car stops perfectly and ABS works normally, just that noise/vibration!

I really don't know what could be problem :confused:
Thanks in advance for any helps!

Luca

It sounds like it must be coming from the ALB unit.
My ALB was coming on each time I started to drive the car and would come on intermittently after that
It was trying to build up pressure but I think one of the valves was stuck.
I changed the high pressure ALB hose as it was original and getting old.
Then I drained and flushed the ALB unit per Danoland procedure
http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm

After I took the car out on the road and put the brakes on hard three or four to activate the ALB unit.
After that it has been trouble free - no noise.

Thanks for quick reply!
Anyway I'm forgetting to say that I tried to add a little bit oil and noise is gone as long as the car is still on/warm. After 2 hour, from cold the noise is immediately come back. However oil it's ok (no leakage)
Other info: I drive my NSX just for a couple of times during the year, so battery was completely discharged at least twice.
Maybe a ECU trouble?

you can also unplug the ABS modulator and never hear the sound again. or rebuild it by taking it apart and putting 4 new o-rings and regreesing everything.

I unplugged my ABS modulator and I had to use the ABS the other day and it worked. but I am not sure if there is any more pressure in the ball housing so I plugged it back in let it get its pressure back incase I need it again and I unplugged it.

try at your own risk

Well, I've come to a conclusion, trouble is Modulator Unit.
Questions:
- unit can be refurbished?
- In case someone could do it on mine (shipped from Italy) or there is a rebuilt kit on sale? (seals and so on)

Thanks again

Well, I've come to a conclusion, trouble is Modulator Unit.
Questions:
- unit can be refurbished?
- In case someone could do it on mine (shipped from Italy) or there is a rebuilt kit on sale? (seals and so on)

Thanks again

Suggest you send a message to warrenw here on Prime
He has written an excellent article on rebuilding the modulator and he sells rebuild kits

Try this procedure first. It might solve your problems and it is cheap. Be sure to change out the fluid during the process.

You can try replacing the seals for the modulator, but it won't work if the solenoids or accumulator is bad.

http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm

Hello, (and sorry for my english) :redface:
when turn on my NSX, after few meters I hear on front (maybe on left front area) a rumor like a ABS reset/check.
It takes about 3/4 second and after more 5 second again and so on. The rumor like a "trrrrrrrr" stops just when car is not moving (as to traffic light) and it takes again just I'm going on.
Maybe a trouble in modulator unit, anyway the ALB check light is OFF, no error reported.
Oil it's ok, car stops perfectly and ABS works normally, just that noise/vibration!

I really don't know what could be problem :confused:
Thanks in advance for any helps!

Luca

I've had the same issue even after rebuilding my system with Warren's kit.
It's the modulator that's leaking forcing the ALB pump to come on regularly to rebuild the pressure.
It will most probably be the valve controlling the front right wheel that's at fault because it's the one that gets exercised the most...
A Honda dealer has the test system to check that in 5 minutes flat.
In Europe the valve can be ordered separately but it is so expensive that you might aswell install the ALB kit for the later model !

Back