• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS "clicking" noise, revisted....

Mine has been doing the clicking on takeoff for a while now but the other night I had to hit the breaks hard to stop and the clicking started and the ABS light came on and kept going until I got home. I parked in the garage, came out the next morning and there was fluid leaking underneath in front. It finally stopped, just left a little puddle.

Should I even bother with the brake check/forced stopping to reseat something or would there be another problem since it actually leaked?

I'm concerned because we have a drive this weekend and I want to make sure I can stop ok, etc.

What should my next steps be? Is there a fix the shop can do to prevent this or what should I have them look for?

Also, if I want to disable the ABS, how do I jump/short the sensor that you mention? What is the best/safest method? I want to keep my TCS in tact but I don't want the annoying clicking/chiriping and idiot light on the entire drive.

squid2004 said:
Mine has been doing the clicking on takeoff for a while now but the other night I had to hit the breaks hard to stop and the clicking started and the ABS light came on and kept going until I got home. I parked in the garage, came out the next morning and there was fluid leaking underneath in front. It finally stopped, just left a little puddle.

Should I even bother with the brake check/forced stopping to reseat something or would there be another problem since it actually leaked?

Yes. I believe that is the classic symptom of a stuck solenoid. The cure is to exercise the system. Try searching for ABS overflow, and I think it'll come up.

rbirling said:
Yes. I believe that is the classic symptom of a stuck solenoid. The cure is to exercise the system. Try searching for ABS overflow, and I think it'll come up.
Should I be concerned about the fluid leak? I didn't see that mentioned in any of the search results so I wanted to make sure this was still the same issue.

It hasn't leaked since after a few more drives.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll get her out for some excercise tomorrow!

I don't think it's a leak -- when the solenoid is stuck, the reservior overflows. If it's not doing it anymore, I'd assume it's not stuck anymore. Make sure you have the right amount of fluid left of course. I know I've seen discussions and pictures of this somewhere.

Well I excercised the car quite a bit and basically what happens is it squeaks for about 3 minutes when I first start it up and put in gear and start moving. I was hammering the breaks during that time and all I would hear is a CLICK CLICK CLICK and the squealing while the ABS tried to engage I guess.

After 3 minutes the ANTI LOCK light comes on and the squeaking stops.

If I turn the car off and on again and put in gear, it does it again for another 3 minutes or so.

Is the clicking sound normal while trying to excercise the ABS or is something else wrong?

It's such a horrible sound and I really want to resolve this.

You should take the car to an Acura dealer and have them service the brake system with a tool that fits into an electric socket located by the glovebox. It will cycle the ABS system and possibly fix it in 10 minutes. I had the same problem and the dealer fixed it.

After 3 minutes the ANTI LOCK light comes on and the squeaking stops. If I turn the car off and on again and put in gear, it does it again for another 3 minutes or so. Is the clicking sound normal while trying to exercise the ABS or is something else wrong?

It is going for exactly 120 seconds before the pump shuts off. Which means that the system is not getting up to pressure. (Search: 120 seconds, ABS)

Did you top off the ABS brake reservoir with more fluid?

I suspect a stuck solenoid (most likely), but it could as well be a faulty pressure sensor or wiring issue (loose connector, etc...)

You MUST get a can of brake cleaner and spray off your abs unit and related areas. The leaked brake fluid will ruin everything around it, including destroying wires, paint and the body/frame.

You don't need the ABS SST tool from the dealer, it is a convenience and reduces the service complexity. You can duplicate the tool's effects with DanO's Solenoid Flush: http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm

Naw, that would throw the ABS error light.

Just jump/short the pressure sensor under the master cylinder. No light, no chirping and no ALB/ABS.

I think he is outta brake fluid in the reservoir.

Drew

How do you jump/short the pressure sensor under the master cylinder? I want to do this. I don't need ABS.

I fixed mine myself with a little help from my Mechanic friend.

He borrowed a special tool from my local Honda dealer which is used to bleed the ABS brake system.

Used the tool 4 times with new fluid and it is all fine now. Occasionally the clicking comes back but only for about 5 secs and only after the ABS has been used so it is just re-pressurising the system.

I know this subject has been discussed many times. I had done the DIY ABS solenoid sticking fixit trick, as found here, about a year and a half ago and it's been good, except for occasionally when it rains it will make the pump chatter noise. Not long ago I had the master/slave cylinder replaced by a dealer and ever since then I have had the ABS clicking noise pop up specifcally when I am hitting bumps in the road it makes the noise briefly, I can kinda hear it coming from under the dash. It does it occasionally after startup too. Would it be safe to say that the electrical fixit trick is in order again? or any other ideas/suggestions before I dig into this issue? Thanks in advance, just seemed odd to do it when hitting some good bumps in the road. Anyone else experience this?

Its normal,. dont worry about it.

when your car gets up to speed after sitting for a while and the accumilator preasure is low, the abs pump will kickin to bring it back up to the 1000+psi its suppose to be at. :biggrin:

happy motoring.

How do you jump/short the pressure sensor under the master cylinder?

In small steps:
1. locate orange connector under brake master cylinder, it goes to the disc shaped pressure sensor.
2. unplug the connector
3. fashion a wire that shorts (connects) the two leads in the orange connector that is on the side of the main harness (not the side of the pressure sensor)

I have a ALB bleeder tool on loan that you can request on the appropriate thread. Has instructions and switches: all you need to bleed your ALB.

The dealer tool is just a convenience.

Drew

Not long ago I had the master/slave cylinder replaced by a dealer and ever since then I have had the ABS clicking noise pop up specifically when I am hitting bumps in the road it makes the noise briefly...

I suspect you now have a loose connector to the pressure sensor or the dealer buggered the pressure sensor....so that it is making intermittent contact and causing your ALB to run.

In small steps:
1. locate orange connector under brake master cylinder, it goes to the disc shaped pressure sensor.
2. unplug the connector
3. fashion a wire that shorts (connects) the two leads in the orange connector that is on the side of the main harness (not the side of the pressure sensor)

I have a ALB bleeder tool on loan that you can request on the appropriate thread. Has instructions and switches: all you need to bleed your ALB.

The dealer tool is just a convenience.

Drew

Very cool! No ABS and no warning light. Perfect! Thanks!

I have the ABS Bleed tool waiting for the next person to request it so I can send it out works great.
Thanks Drew.

don't worry about it! the pump should only run for about 5 seconds occasionally! it's normal!

The morning after I first got mine, I drove down my drive, and the ABS pump kicked in for the first time, I stopped and got out, thinking I'd run over a box or something! I do believe it's the loudest ABS pump known to man, and, I assure you, it will be quiet all the while you are in a quiet neighbourhood, but just as soon there is an audience.....

LOL, that sounds like my first encounter with the infamous ABS pump. My Pantera once had a cooling fan that was rubbing against the radiator fins, and I immediately thought the same thing was happening with the NSX the first time I heard it. Lo and behold, a quick search on good ol' NSX Prime yielded the answer.

It's kind of like an initiation ritual for new NSX owners. :biggrin:

Back