• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS conversion

I purchase the kit from Gt-rom but have not had a chance to install it..when I do I will post pictures of the ABS conversion...I was asking the same question before buying it and I don't think anyone else on prime has done this..

can somebody please explain this conversion for those of us that can't understand the gt-rom page?

It *appears* to use a modern ABS pump...not the v1.0 of the NSX system prior to 1999.

Nice, but you would have to fabricate all your hard piping for a LHD drive car. I think it would be much more inexpensive to retrofit a modern Honda system into the NSX....just need the harness, cpu and integrate the inputs.

Quite a Project though.

Last edited:
It *appears* to use a modern ABS pump...not the v1.0 of the NSX system prior to 2002 (?).

Nice, but you would have to fabricate all your hard piping for a LHD drive car. I think it would be much more inexpensive to retrofit a modern Honda system into the NSX....just need the harness, cpu and integrate the inputs.

Quite a Project though.

If I'm not mistaken, this kit upgrade the old nsx abs pump to the new '99+ oem nsx abs pump, hardlines and connectors included. I think it's better to ask DJ from GT-rom to explain this further. Also, I think it's possible to purchase the hardlines for the LHD.

Henry.

a friend of mine is about to purchase all the items needed to do this conversion.

- all brake pipping on the front (8 pipes) - LHD
- new abs pump and supporting brackets - LHD (just brackets, the pump is the same as RHD)
- gt-rom adapting harness

we believe the new ABS ecu is included in the pump itself

the benefits are a more smart ABS and a lot of weight gain :wink: :wink:

i'm considering it also. we are just wainting for some numbers from Mark at Dali (where i buy all OEM stuff and more :wink: ).

a friend of mine is about to purchase all the items needed to do this conversion.

- all brake pipping on the front (8 pipes) - LHD
- new abs pump and supporting brackets - LHD (just brackets, the pump is the same as RHD)
- gt-rom adapting harness

we believe the new ABS ecu is included in the pump itself

the benefits are a more smart ABS and a lot of weight gain :wink: :wink:

i'm considering it also. we are just wainting for some numbers from Mark at Dali (where i buy all OEM stuff and more :wink: ).

Are you sure it's heavier? HyperREV vol. 93 notes that the new ABS unit is 6.8kg lighter and a "significant improvement" (page 92).

This change mirrors the changes made to the Integra's ABS unit in 1998 (first seen in the 1997 Integra Type R). It went from a larger, heavy thing with it's own reservoir (like the older NSX unit) to a smaller lightweight unit with no reservoir.

Are you sure it's heavier? HyperREV vol. 93 notes that the new ABS unit is 6.8kg lighter and a "significant improvement" (page 92).

the new is lighter that's why i talked about "weight gain" in my last post :wink: :wink:

UnhuZ said:
the benefits are a more smart ABS and a lot of weight gain

perhaps my "weight gain" line wasn't good...it can induce that you would add some weight to your car...

let me refrase:

the benefits are a more smart ABS and a lot of weight saving:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This is beginning to sound interesting - 6.8 kg (15 lbs) weight saving AND improving your brake system sounds like a good idea.

Could someone please post some pictures of both the old and new ABS-pump system on the NSX ?

What exactly do you need to replace apart from the ABS-pump itself ?? Which parts do you need and how much would this conversion cost.

Does anyone have some more technical input on the old and new ABS-system on the NSX. Does the newer system use different wheel-sensors or can you still use the ones that are on the car. I am guessing that the newer system will have a higher pulse-rate than the old system but this is just guessing.

Wow, if this new unit works well, this is great.
The old ABS is terrible compared to anything else I have driven in Canada on ice and snowy roads.
Trev

This is beginning to sound interesting - 6.8 kg (15 lbs) weight saving AND improving your brake system sounds like a good idea.

Could someone please post some pictures of both the old and new ABS-pump system on the NSX ?

What exactly do you need to replace apart from the ABS-pump itself ?? Which parts do you need and how much would this conversion cost.

Does anyone have some more technical input on the old and new ABS-system on the NSX. Does the newer system use different wheel-sensors or can you still use the ones that are on the car. I am guessing that the newer system will have a higher pulse-rate than the old system but this is just guessing.

guys, it is a common mod in japan.... they only:
- change the pipes in the front bay
- install the new pump
- install GT-ROM harness converter

in all descriptions i saw, they never mentioned the ABS wheel sensors, which i think remain the same.

all i'm waiting is the cost (should be arround $1300).

Interesting post. I just went to a novice driver training event two weeks ago and we had a braking maneuver exercises, where they told you to brake as hard as you can at 40mph and do a slight left hander at the same time.
I got a 180 degree spun out on my first try and it caught me by surprise, because it's not like I have zero track driving experience. The instructor also said my wheels lock up quite a bit unlike most of the ABS equipped car out there.
I was running 17 18 with 215 255 tires.
After I got home I did a little research found this
http://www.dalmotorsports.com/cars.asp#Brakes
so I suspect the different size wheel/tires messed up the ABS system.
anyone had simular experience?

polar, my ABS is kinda crappy on my 91 too. You can search I've posted that I do have lockup when I brake 100%. In fact, no matter what I do pads, rotors, fluid... my fronts always lock up a little... like a 1/2 second "sreeeech". I've been told my back may also lock up a little. If it is really $1300 that seems like a very worthy mod. I wonder what install would cost...

Also, I think that 17/18 with the right size sidewalls are fine. If TCS doesn't go crazy on you then ABS should be ok too. Back when I was on the RPM2s I installed the stock 91 rims and tires and did some ABS drills and my car ABS still sucked. ;-)

polar, my ABS is kinda crappy on my 91 too. You can search I've posted that I do have lockup when I brake 100%. In fact, no matter what I do pads, rotors, fluid... my fronts always lock up a little... like a 1/2 second "sreeeech". I've been told my back may also lock up a little. If it is really $1300 that seems like a very worthy mod. I wonder what install would cost...

The parts are indeed about $1300 plus the GT-Rom harness (which is fairly cheap)

you almost can install yourself, but the entire system got to be bleeded, obviously :wink: let's see if i can post a scheme of what's got to be done in the next couple of days!!

Does anyone know if this ABS conversion is similar to ABS revision done to the NA2 NSX-R? If not, there may be two avenues to improving the braking system in ABS. Although I'm sure the NSX-R route will be the more expensive of the two.

OT, Unhuz, you're a brave man for ordering parts from Dali. He stole 4k from me (which is now down to 1.3k) and I regularly had beers with the guy. I hope you don't go through what I did, am.

Does anyone know if this ABS conversion is similar to ABS revision done to the NA2 NSX-R? If not, there may be two avenues to improving the braking system in ABS. Although I'm sure the NSX-R route will be the more expensive of the two.
i think that is only a matter of buying the japanese NSX-R ABS Pump...the pumps are the same, only the brackets and pipping are different from LHD to RHD

OT, Unhuz, you're a brave man for ordering parts from Dali. He stole 4k from me (which is now down to 1.3k) and I regularly had beers with the guy. I hope you don't go through what I did, am.
i've bought several stuff from him...never had a problem and always replyed very quickly...it has been more than a year....let's see how the near future goes....

For you guys that dont drive on ice and snow, the 91 abs system is junk for these conditions. Maybe it was breed for the dry track, I doubt it though.
Yes, it is from 91 and maybe good for that year, but it is terrible.
Trev
Just my honest opinion!
Maybe Ryan can take his car out of storage and I can rip around town with his and compare his to mine!!! Remember, snow banks are soft, in case I make a mistake Ryan.

I have 18/18 setup with AP/KVR BBK upgrade on my 92. I get pretty bad wheel lock up on my 92 compare to my old 93 with OEM brake system everytime I hit my brake hard, and the ABS just doesn't seem to work the way its suppose to.

I feel the ABS conversion approach will be a great investment as well as added safety on the road.

I have 18/18 setup with AP/KVR BBK upgrade on my 92. I get pretty bad wheel lock up on my 92 compare to my old 93 with OEM brake system everytime I hit my brake hard, and the ABS just doesn't seem to work the way its suppose to.

I feel the ABS conversion approach will be a great investment as well as added safety on the road.

please log on your msn. :tongue:

Back