ABS high pressure hose leaks

There is a really small amount (Not even a drop overnight, I just see a little wetness on it)of fluid seeping out on the surface of the high pressure hose on the ABS moudulator. Please see page 19-62 on the online manual (Sorry, I can't copy the image and paste it here). The one that runs from the power unit to the bottom of the modulator.

I noticed this after I overfilled the fluid on the ABS reservoir and it got overfloated one day. I found brake fluid on the garage floor. I removed the excessive fluid from the reservoir and it is not overfloating anymore.

Any tips on replacing it? Do I just replace it?

Do I need to bleed it manually or let the ABS unit rebuild the pressure?

Do I have to relief the pressure first??

Thanks. :wink:

nis350 said:
I noticed this after I overfilled the fluid on the ABS reservoir and it got overfloated one day. I found brake fluid on the garage floor. I removed the excessive fluid from the reservoir and it is not overfloating anymore.

Any tips on replacing it? Do I just replace it?

Do I need to bleed it manually or let the ABS unit rebuild the pressure?

Do I have to relief the pressure first??

Thanks. :wink:

This hose is replaced during the 60K service. You will need the hose and 4 crush washers. You need to bleed off the pressure using the brake bleeder tool for the ABS first, then you will need to re-pressurize the system after installation of the replacement hose.

You should go to DanO's DIY page to understand the bleeding process for the ABS. http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/index.html

BTW, I find it very hard to beleive that this hose is actually leaking. It is under high pressure and you would have alot leaking and your ABS light would be on, since the system could not build pressure. Are you sure it is not just overflow from the reservior?

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. Had the 60K done few years back. I guess they don't always replace everything. :frown:

Looks like the hose has some hair line cracks and there is where I noticed some wetness. Do I need to change it ASAP? Will it burst and cause the loss of brakes?

Thanks.

That hose has a ribbed sheath around it for protection. Are you sure they are cracks?? Again, if this hose was leaking you would have fluid all over the place in there:). If you were to de-pressurize the system using the bleeder wrench you would know what I mean.

It this hose does fail, you will have brake fluid all over the place and your ABS pump would run for about 2 munites, then stop, and your ABS light will come on and the ABS system would be disabled.

HTH,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
That hose has a ribbed sheath around it for protection. Are you sure they are cracks?? Again, if this hose was leaking you would have fluid all over the place in there:). If you were to de-pressurize the system using the bleeder wrench you would know what I mean.

It this hose does fail, you will have brake fluid all over the place and your ABS pump would run for about 2 munites, then stop, and your ABS light will come on and the ABS system would be disabled.

HTH,
LarryB

Hi Larry,

I saw very little wetness on surface of the ribbed sheath on two separate spots, around 1/16 of an inch long and they are on the middle of the hose and not on the bottom end.

It is so little that I don't even get one single drop on the floor. However, if i wiped it off and will see the wetness back in about a day. I wonder if it was the left over fluid from the overflow I had that got caught in between the actual hose and the sheath?

So I guess I won't have to worry about it until I see drops?? :confused:

Thanks. :smile:

Back