• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS Light and Motor Noise

my 91 NSX ABS motor runs for about a minute or so, then shuts off and the ABS light comes on and won't go off - any suggestions on how to stop the ABS motor from coming on?

Wrong forum & use the search. It's been covered 25x before. Search "reservoir" & "overflow" in DIY & owners forums.

Last edited:
thanks for the info - new to the sight.

Welcome to Prime. It took me a while to find the info I was looking for also, don't feel like the LONE RANGER.
I have posted some info on your problem, I wasn't the first and I won't be the last. If you would like to read some of them you can do so by:
1. Double click on my screen name OLDMNSX.
2. Click the tab STATISTICS
3. View Posts.

If you don't find the answer let me know.
Brad

Brad,
My ABS loses presure when the car is sitting.
After about 2 days the ABS pump needs to fire up and re-presure the system.
If I keep the fluid level higher than minimum, it will overflow because the resovior over fills.
Once I exersize the solinoids it is good for month, then the cycle repeats itself and the pump then runs every couple of days.
Can the solinoid assembly be rebuilt? Is there another place the system could be losing its pressure from?
I have purged the system a couple of times. ( I own a blead tool ) Helps for month or so.
My thinking is there is some dirt or contamination in the system.

Any ideas?

Warren,
The solenoids are the problem. There is nothing else that is causing your problem. Have you made up the wiring harness to exercise the solenoids? This is the only way that you will have complete success getting the system bled. You have a solenoid, probably only one, that is seeping and causing you your problem. Remember that the system has a normal operating pressure of 4800 psi and it has to drop to 2800 psi before the pump will activate. DanO made up a DIY that shows how to make up the wiring harness to excercise the solenoids numerous times.

Let me know if you want me to send my tools up to you to do your flush.
Brad

Warren,
The solenoids are the problem. There is nothing else that is causing your problem. Have you made up the wiring harness to exercise the solenoids? This is the only way that you will have complete success getting the system bled. You have a solenoid, probably only one, that is seeping and causing you your problem. Remember that the system has a normal operating pressure of 4800 psi and it has to drop to 2800 psi before the pump will activate. DanO made up a DIY that shows how to make up the wiring harness to excercise the solenoids numerous times.

Let me know if you want me to send my tools up to you to do your flush.
Brad

Brad:
Thanks for the offer. I have the T-wrench, and the two wiring harnesses with momentary switches. You are also correct, one solenoid seems to be the issue. That is why I have asked if they can be rebuilt.
Exercising only seems to work for a short period of time. My feeling is I have not rid the system of all the air bubbles. I think the air in the system is compressing. I am now buying Brake fluid by the gallon!

thanks again.

Air bubbles are not an issue as they settle to the top of the accumulator and are gone the instant any fluid is released from it. The foaming is caused by the release of the high pressure fluid at those pressures the fluid froths. Also keep the reservoir at the min level or even a little less it’s less likely to overflow. It may take a few flush and exercise cycles to get it working properly. My car took 2 cycles of draining the reservoir and the accumulator and exercising the solenoids. Then it still acted up once in a while and it took a drain and refill and an on the road exercise session to finely get it to behave itself.

Last edited:
Air bubbles are not an issue they settle to the top of the accumulator and are gone the instant any fluid is released from it. The foaming is caused by the release of the high pressure fluid at those pressures the fluid froths.

thanks Brian. good to know. I just need to get that solenoid to seal.

Back