• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS modulator/solenoid

WOW,

Thanks EIFFEL. I had only seen these parts in Europe. Do you know if they come with the seals?? I would think so. Are these cross referenced from a car other then the NSX??

Thanks,
LarryB

http://www.autoecu.com/Products/default.asp

Will rebuild the NSX ABS modulator for $795 and give a year warranty.

Included is 2 day shipping and it takes 2-3 days to rebuild.

The unit appears to be made by Sumitomo

Drew
/don't know anything else about them. They seem to be the first company I found that rebuilds such things for the NSX.

drew said:
http://www.autoecu.com/Products/default.asp

Will rebuild the NSX ABS modulator for $795 and give a year warranty.

Included is 2 day shipping and it takes 2-3 days to rebuild.

The unit appears to be made by Sumitomo

Drew
/don't know anything else about them. They seem to be the first company I found that rebuilds such things for the NSX.

That's not a bad deal at all...it's tough to find a good used unit for less than $500 and that's after looking for awhile.

Replacing/rebuilding the ABS is usually a rare last resort. 9 out of 10 NSX owners with this problem appear to be OK after extensive ABS exercising. I unfortunately was the 1 out of 10.

As our NSX's get older these guys might have quite a profitable little venture going...

Some knowledge base information to share:

The 1997, 1998, 1999 ABS Modulators are slightly different to accommodate the larger spare tire. The modulator will swap with previous years 1991-1996, but you will have to re-bend the hard brake lines to the brake master cylinder (or get the ones from the salvage vehicle).

The 2000+ ABS system is completely different under the hood.

If the ABS pump times out at 120 seconds consistently: check the pressure sensor that is attached to the Accumulator (big metal ball). The round disc shaped sensor it attached with a banjo bolt. The sensor will read 0.0 ohms when system is fully pressurized. The sensor is infinite (open) in all other conditions.

Unplugging the pressure sensor, orange connector underneath brake master cylinder, will invoke the pump to time out after 120 seconds and throw the ABS light.

Conversely, If you are having modulator issues and wish to turn off the ABS light while awaiting repairs: it appears that shorting the pressure sensor connector will cause the ABS light to remain off.

If your ABS fuse is blown, check for rat bites on the lower wires. The motor wires seem to be a favorite of rodents to chew on, they are also very low on the vehicle with a nice platform for rats to stand on.

The entire ABS system is made by Nissin. Nissin parts are available through normal auto parts supply houses. Just because the dealer (Factory, HNA) only offers part assemblies does not mean small individual parts are not available through alternate means. Any good brake shop should be able to help you get exact OEM parts cheaper than the dealer.

The individual solinoids appear to be made by Sumitomo.

Drew

Back