• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC air comes out near headlights

So with the AC on, on recirculate or vent, the AC does not come out through the vents in the car. I popped the hood and noticed the headlights are very cool and then I could feel the breeze from the AC coming from behind the headlights. I am no AC guru, but anybody have any ideas? AC was working fine one day and then boom this happens. Its on both the right and left sides of the car, and happens whether the AC is on, or just the FAN or Heat is on. So basically anything that should be coming into the cabin is coming out from behind the headlights. Never had this before, any ideas?

not possible i don't think, your hvac box should be in the cabin, you must be feeling the ac fan kicking in behind the radiator/condensor...

That fan behind the radiator wasn't running. I thought that would be it too.

- - - Updated - - -

And when the AC is on, the air from behind the headlights is cold.

There are 2 condenser fans, one located in front of each front wheel, in the fender area, those are probably what you are feeling as airflow, although the exhaust from these fans should exit in front of the wheel thru the fender liner.

One would also think that the air exiting the condenser fans would be warmer than ambient, not colder. That is very odd.

Does the indoor evaporator fan run at all? (blow air into the cabin). if not put into AC mode and Put the fan on high speed, does fan run now?

I would think your seals on the blower are gone, the blower is bolted against the firewall if the seal has given out it may be blowing cold air to that side which headlight cuz the blower is on the passengerside so that would be the light possibly getting some cold air.

even if thats not the issue I still bet your seals are bad age is hitting the NSX like bricks.

I have confirmed that that air was the R and L condenser fans. So since there is no air coming into the cabin then, it must be a busted blower motor then huh? I looked in the fuse box up front and the blower motor fan fuse, the 30A one looks fine, but I was going to remove it to make sure as there was a smidge of black when I looked thru the plastic window on the top of it. For those main fuses, you need to disconnect the battery right? It is held down with two phillips heads screws. I feel like an idiot thinking the air was coming from behind the headlights. Learning every day :)

Check the CCU as well, run it thru its diagnostics, see page 22-12 of the repair manual.

So I have been trying to run the diagnostics on the CCU from page 22-12 of the repair manual with no success. I turn the ignition to the on position, then put the fan on auto, then the instructions say to wait for 1 minute on each TEMP display 64 degrees F and 90 degrees F. I guess that means to turn the temp knob to 64 and wait a minute and then to 90 and wait a minute. To get the TEMP display to come on, I have to turn on the CCU to some degree, so I push the auto button and then turn to 64 and wait a minute then to 90 and wait a minute, then I press AUTO and OFF at the same time, but nothing happens. Am I misreading the instructions? I also thought maybe there are no issues in circuits A through I so there is nothing displayed, so I did the procedure for the functions test, and it did not work either. I must be doing something wrong.

Below are the instructions:

"The Automatic Climate Control system has a built-in self diagnosis feature. To run it, turn the ignition switch ON and turn the FAN switch to AUTO position. Wait for at least one minute on each TEMP display 18 degrees celcius (64 degrees farenheight), 32 degrees celcius (90 degrees farenheight). Then push both the AUto and OFF buttons on the control unit at the same time. Any problems in circuits "A" through "i" listed below will be indicated by the respective indicator light coming on.

- - - Updated - - -

ok so the functions check works but the manual say to stat the engine while holding mode and off with the fan in auto. it didn't work like that, but worked when i switched the ignition to the on position instead. still cant get the diagnostics to run.

Back