• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AC, alternator belts - so what else?

Cal

Registered Member
I'm over due for a general belt change. Nothing I can see directing how long you should go (miles or years) on a ac or alternator belt. I'm not sure if there is a water pump belt or if it's internally driven. Any other belts I need to do?

The timing belt is a whole separate issue and I'm up to date on that.

If you don't know the history of the belts or if they look cracked or worn, replace them. AC and alternator are the only ones. The water pump is driven by the timing belt.

I've owned the car for the bulk of the miles/years and the last time the belts were changed were at 77k miles. They looked fine at that time. Seems like most folks just drivem until they start to show wear. Guess technology has made repalcement at shorter intervals unnecessary.

I've owned the car for the bulk of the miles/years and the last time the belts were changed were at 77k miles. They looked fine at that time. Seems like most folks just drivem until they start to show wear. Guess technology has made repalcement at shorter intervals unnecessary.

But you don't say what year car you have, how many miles are on it now or how many miles you've put on it since. :confused:

If you're unsure about the interval and are worried about their failure, just change them. It's cheap enough insurance.

Look for cracks or missing chucks on the inside of the belts. Replace them when they show signs of such wear.

If you got money and time to burn, then replace whatever you like. I prefer to consider that I have limited money and time (on this planet) and I would like to maximize both. However, both are yours to spend as you like.

Back