• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acadia National Park (in Maine) - Pics!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
28 December 2001
Messages
2,758
Location
Orinda, CA
Have you ever been to Acadia National Park in Maine?

I heard so many amazing things about the Park, and wondered what the hype was. Dang, it has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. I have traveled to many beautiful places in the world, but I just could not believe that there was a place like this in Maine. Acadia National Park is an island (or Pennisula is probably a better description) that feature beautiful mountains. So, you get the best of both worlds - mountains and beaches.

The drive through the park (which stretches about 25miles) is by far the best drive I have ever had - in Spring, there is hardly any car/people on the road and best of all, it is one way wide road that goes up and down through moutains, beaches, ponds, and etc.

If you have not been there yet, make sure you visit this place while you live in New England!!!

(I snapped some pictures - I am not a good photographer like Bob or Tony, and my camera is from the Chinese Ming Dynasty.. So, I apologize for the poor quality of pictures.)

8302ac1.jpg


8302ac2.jpg


8302ac3.jpg


8302ac4.jpg


8302ac5.jpg


8302ac6.jpg


8302ac7.jpg


8302ac8.jpg
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
21 August 2003
Messages
724
Location
Edison, New Jersey
TigerNSX said:
Have you ever been to Acadia National Park in Maine?

I heard so many amazing things about the Park, and wondered what the hype was. Dang, it has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. I have traveled to many beautiful places in the world, but I just could not believe that there was a place like this in Maine. Acadia National Park is an island (or Pennisula is probably a better description) that feature beautiful mountains. So, you get the best of both worlds - mountains and beaches.

The drive through the park (which stretches about 25miles) is by far the best drive I have ever had - in Spring, there is hardly any car/people on the road and best of all, it is one way wide road that goes up and down through moutains, beaches, ponds, and etc.

If you have not been there yet, make sure you visit this place while you live in New England!!!

(I snapped some pictures - I am not a good photographer like Bob or Tony, and my camera is from the Chinese Ming Dynasty.. So, I apologize for the poor quality of pictures.)

8302ac1.jpg


8302ac2.jpg


8302ac3.jpg


8302ac4.jpg


8302ac5.jpg


8302ac6.jpg


8302ac7.jpg


8302ac8.jpg

Next time you go back stick around till low tide and take a hike to anemonae cave (it's on the park map). Bring a flashlight and when you shine it into the cave there are thousands of sea anemonae stuck to the walls and floor of the cave. Quite a spectacular sight. It's generally a great park with lots of incredible views (on an fog free day). It looks like you had a great and unhurried day :biggrin: It's definitely worth the ride and the local lobster is the best (Jordans lobster dock in Bar Harbor is fantastic) :cool:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
28 December 2001
Messages
2,758
Location
Orinda, CA
Thank you for the comments.

I wish that I had spoken to you regarding the trip since I had no idea where to go once I arrived there. I will definitely do that in the future.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
15 January 2003
Messages
4,418
Location
Rye Brook, NY, USA
Yong, beautiful pictures, maybe not up to RSO quality, but definitely as good as Tony D (he needs new lenses, but his wife won't let him buy them!!), the new car looks great, can't wait to see it in person!!! :biggrin:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
28 December 2001
Messages
2,758
Location
Orinda, CA
RPM217 said:
Yong, beautiful pictures, maybe not up to RSO quality, but definitely as good as Tony D (he needs new lenses, but his wife won't let him buy them!!), the new car looks great, can't wait to see it in person!!! :biggrin:

Thanks! So, just to clarify your statement, you are saying that pictures taken by my wimpy $100 camera is as good as Tony's $1,000+ camera??
:biggrin: :tongue:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
15 January 2003
Messages
4,418
Location
Rye Brook, NY, USA
TigerNSX said:
Thanks! So, just to clarify your statement, you are saying that pictures taken by my wimpy $100 camera is as good as Tony's $1,000+ camera??
:biggrin: :tongue:

Absolutely, it might have something to do with the person behind the camera as well!!! Maybe, if Baggs were to be taking the pictures with Tony's camera, the pictures would come out better!!!! :biggrin:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
21 August 2003
Messages
724
Location
Edison, New Jersey
TigerNSX said:
Thank you for the comments.

I wish that I had spoken to you regarding the trip since I had no idea where to go once I arrived there. I will definitely do that in the future.


Another great place for twisty fun drives at this time of the year is the Kancamagus Highway leading from Franconia to North Conway New Hampshire.
I have hiked and climbed all over New Hampshire and Maine since I was a kid with a new car in 1972. Any time you want info I can provide some great on road and off road sights. By the way i forgot to metion that I am jealous :tongue: Those were great photos and the view was spectacular :biggrin:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
28 December 2001
Messages
2,758
Location
Orinda, CA
Climberao said:
Another great place for twisty fun drives at this time of the year is the Kancamagus Highway leading from Franconia to North Conway New Hampshire.
I have hiked and climbed all over New Hampshire and Maine since I was a kid with a new car in 1972. Any time you want info I can provide some great on road and off road sights. By the way i forgot to metion that I am jealous :tongue: Those were great photos and the view was spectacular :biggrin:

Yes, I visit the Kancamagus each year. In fact, the next NSXDRIVER scenic section "may" (hint hint) feature an article on it. :wink:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
21 August 2003
Messages
724
Location
Edison, New Jersey
TigerNSX said:
Yes, I visit the Kancamagus each year. In fact, the next NSXDRIVER scenic section "may" (hint hint) feature an article on it. :wink:

Let me know the next time you trip up there. I can gather some the the NJ/NY crew. It's definitely worth an 8 hour drive for some amazing driving and scenery :biggrin:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
19 August 2002
Messages
288
Location
Dover, New Hampshire
Yong,

Great pics. We use to visit Acadia a lot during the summer. I attended the University of Maine in Orono which was only about an hour drive away. Very scenic destination. You picked a good time of the year to go. During the summer it is so packed with people you can barely move.

John
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
25 April 2004
Messages
270
Location
Sharon, CT
I agree that we should get together for an NSX drive on the Kancamagus. I was on that road 2-3 years ago, and I had forgotten about it until this thread. But, like Tiger said about Acadia, spring would be better because of all the traffic. No fun if we have to follow RVs. Maybe after Labor Day, and before NSXPO we could get the NE guys up to NH.
Jesse
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
8 September 2003
Messages
848
Location
Easton, PA
Yong,

Great pictures - reminded me of when I was in that area about 22 years ago(makes me feel old, but not as old as Roger:smile: ). I won't even post any of those pictures since they were taken with an old Nikon camera and they are all faded now. Not even sure if I still have the negatives.

Not sure what to say about Rogers comments, he's been on a bash Tony kick lately but not sure why.... oh well.... Perhaps he needs to be put in front of the firing squad:

20445180-M.jpg


20445188-M.jpg
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
15 January 2003
Messages
4,418
Location
Rye Brook, NY, USA
TonyD said:
Yong,

Great pictures - reminded me of when I was in that area about 22 years ago(makes me feel old, but not as old as Roger:smile: ). I won't even post any of those pictures since they were taken with an old Nikon camera and they are all faded now. Not even sure if I still have the negatives.

Not sure what to say about Rogers comments, he's been on a bash Tony kick lately but not sure why.... oh well.... Perhaps he needs to be put in front of the firing squad:

20445180-M.jpg


20445188-M.jpg

OUCH!!!! Never a "bash Tony kick", rather a support Baggs kick, one is much different than the other, afterall, next time we dine together, I wouldn't want her to sneak her spices on my meal!!!! :eek:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
17 February 2001
Messages
681
Location
Stamford,CT.
Last time I drove the Kanc was several years ago, on two wheels, second week in September. Early leaf-peeper traffic screwed up that ride. Actually, have been going to the Whites since childhood, and it no longer is fun. The entire region, from Lincoln on one end of the Kanc to North Conway other, is one giant strip mall with outlet stores and restaurants, mixed in with condos. And the winter sucks with all of the weekender ski traffic. The only way to get around all the slop and enjoy the drive is to do it very early in the AM.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
29 February 2000
Messages
736
Location
Lawrence, KS
There are soooooo many better roads / routes in NH / VT than the K Hwy....

With the exception of early spring.

After that the majority of people on that road are from some where else and have no idea..... :wink:
 
Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
8 January 2003
Messages
514
Location
Independence, MO, USA
Very nice pics of Acadia. We do a week in Maine every year. Used to stay with friends who had a beach front house in Jonesport. My friends mother owned the house and lived there year round. Now the house is sold and we either stay with other friends or in a motel on Great Wass island. Acadia is beautiful but don't forget the drive up the coast between "Ba Haba" (no r's in Maine) and Campobello, Canada. Be sure to check out both East Quaddy and West Quaddy light houses. Can't wait to get back there. We usually go sometime between July and September. Once you go north of Bar Harbor its not nearly so touristy, even in prime tourist season. :biggrin:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
25 April 2004
Messages
868
Location
Clarks Summit. PA
TonyD said:
Not sure what to say about Rogers comments, he's been on a bash Tony kick lately but not sure why.... oh well.... Perhaps he needs to be put in front of the firing squad:

Fire squad it is. We PA crew is all about togetherness. :smile:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
21 August 2003
Messages
724
Location
Edison, New Jersey
RichH said:
There are soooooo many better roads / routes in NH / VT than the K Hwy....

With the exception of early spring.

After that the majority of people on that road are from some where else and have no idea..... :wink:

Rich,
Well give it up. Which roads which towns? I want to take a weekend trip north within the next few weeks and since you live up there it would be helpful to get some first hand advice :biggrin: How about a really nice ride ending near a B&B?
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
8 September 2003
Messages
848
Location
Easton, PA
RPM217 said:
OUCH!!!! Never a "bash Tony kick", rather a support Baggs kick, one is much different than the other, afterall, next time we dine together, I wouldn't want her to sneak her spices on my meal!!!! :eek:

You better bring your Rolaids next time - If Bags doesn't spice up your meal, I will :smile:. I have a large stash of those spices here, so she doesn't even need to be present:biggrin:

I just realized Rolaids won't be strong enough...:eek:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
15 January 2003
Messages
4,418
Location
Rye Brook, NY, USA
TonyD said:
You better bring your Rolaids next time - If Bags doesn't spice up your meal, I will :smile:. I have a large stash of those spices here, so she doesn't even need to be present:biggrin:

I just realized Rolaids won't be strong enough...:eek:

Don't forget, you still have to survive "the wedding", and that's not a given!!!! :biggrin:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
29 February 2000
Messages
736
Location
Lawrence, KS
Don't get me wrong the K hwy is beautiful.

The window of opportunity for a Mobile Home free drive is really limited ( like now before Memorial Day and maybe a little later or after Labor Day).

Maybe the bad weather will slow things down up there. Plus they have gone crazy with the outlet malls. If you do it in the next few weeks you should be ok, on the K hwy, not sure about Memorial day weekend.

Off the top of my head, two roads I really enjoy with less traffic than the K Hwy:

100 B ending in Waitsfield or Warren, VT : The "Pitcher Inn" is very nice, you can also select from a number of other inns in the Waitsfield or Warren area that are very nice. This Inn is pricy, there are others I have stayed at that are very nice and less $$$. You can also go through a really great Mountain road near Middlebury. (this is my favorite road area).

North of Plymouth NH Route 25 A or B Take a nice loop around and try the Common Man Inn and Spa in Plymouth, NH as a headquaters. You can also go up North in NH. Sorry, the Old Man is no longer there!

Alan let me know if you want more info on the inns. I have links to a few in my favorites file.

Hope we get some better weather, that would make things a little more pleasant.

Rich

Climberao said:
Rich,
Well give it up. Which roads which towns? I want to take a weekend trip north within the next few weeks and since you live up there it would be helpful to get some first hand advice :biggrin: How about a really nice ride ending near a B&B?
 
Top