• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Accelerator sticking

Has any other NSX owner ever had a problem with the accelerator sticking at wide open throttle? I have had this happen, I believe, four times in the two and half plus years I have owned my '91. It happened again recently and thankful in the middle of a shift so the car was in neutral. Probably much worse on the engine but much less frightening than while in gear. That happened once in fairly dense but high speed traffic and the tires actually squealed as I mashed the brakes as my first frightened reaction. Depressing the clutch stops it normally, but this time was different since the clutch was depressed.

I have brought the issue up with my dealer who chocked it up to 'floor mat in the way'. I know for a fact that wasn't the case the last two times, if it ever was - which I doubt. Obviously this is a very serious and potentially dangerous problem. I have looked at the linkage, mounting point, etc. inside the car and don't see anything as the likely culprit.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

From memory, you have an earlier coupe with throttle-by-cable, correct? You may want to check the cruise control module (from memory, the NSX has a little rod that depresses the gas pedal when engaged). Also, check the linkage to see if it is rubbing or being held up. Also, check the throttle body to see if the spring-loaded lever catches on anything when you quickly depress it.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

Back