• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura debuts NSX concept at 2012 North American International Auto Show

NSX CONCEPT
The dynamically-styled NSX Concept gives an indication of the next great performance vehicle from the Acura brand. Making use of lightweight materials and a mid-mounted V-6 engine, the NSX Concept employs several new technologies for Acura, including application of Acura’s innovative new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® (Super Handling All Wheel Drive™) hybrid system.

Utilizing a unique 2 Electric Motor Drive Unit with a Bilateral Torque Adjustable Control System, the all-new hybrid all-wheel-drive system can instantly generate negative or positive torque to the front wheels during cornering. Acura anticipates the new Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® will deliver handling performance unmatched by previous AWD systems. In addition to the handling benefits of the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® system, a powerful next-generation VTEC® V-6 engine with direct-injection works in concert with a dual clutch transmission with built-in electric motor to create supercar acceleration while offering outstanding efficiency.

“This Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system will make NSX the ultimate expression of Acura’s idea to create synergy between man and machine,” said Takanobu Ito, president and CEO of Honda Motor Co., Ltd. “The NSX will make the driver one with the car to enhance dynamic driving abilities without getting in the way.”
While most supercars opt for brute force delivered from a large engine, the NSX Concept champions the true racing philosophy of an extremely favorable power-to-weight ratio.

“Like the first NSX, we will again express high performance through engineering efficiency,” added Ito, who led the development of Acura’s first NSX supercar. “In this new era, even as we focus on the fun to drive spirit of the NSX, I think a supercar must respond positively to environmental responsibilities.”

The new Acura supercar, expected to debut in the next three years, will be developed by an engineering team led by Honda R&D Americas, Inc., and manufactured in Ohio, at a yet to be named facility.

http://www.naias.com/photo-tour/photo-gallery.aspx?exh=5842

Attachments

• NSX concept press image.jpg
    NSX concept press image.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
anybody going???
I think i may head to the show on Friday the 24th if anyone would want to meet up

Last edited:
A couple of the Club Executives from the NSX Club of Canada have been invited by Acura Canada for the Unveiling of the NSX Concept .

Will be posting pictures tomorrow.

Bram

Bram and I went to the media day today. We both took some great pictures of the unveiling and of some other cars.

I'll post some of my pictures ...

88879394.jpg

93150403.jpg

11252620.jpg

99839172.jpg

24841371.jpg

56221936.jpg

65790799.jpg

23806486.jpg

44346752.jpg

63002251.jpg

45020321.jpg

23872356.jpg

62430739.jpg

45593027.jpg

75643177.jpg

63110640.jpg

56045145.jpg

71430002.jpg

I must say ... I did not see many cars

img1122e.jpg

One more time for Captain Rick ... This one had some titanium linings in her bra.

75643177.jpg

Last edited:
I would probably be just as distracted as Daria did.
As current NSX owners and club executives, did you guys get to sit in it? Did you see other NSX owners/club members?
I saw Daria wearing the club shirt proudly. Way the represent the club!

We have some interesting conversation with both the VP for Acura Canada ( and the Senior Product Planner for the NSX.

They are very interested in hearing from our Club and our members, to get input for the development of the car, that will take place over the next three years. I'm planning to have one or both of these guys at our Renewal Party in March to talk our members.

Secondly, I have also invited them up to Est. Fest in May, to really sit down and hear what the current owners are looking for in the New NSX. Guys this is a great opportunity for us to provide Acura with some valuable insights as owners. They are enthusiastic to hear what the current owner want in the new Car.

More to come on this...

Bram

Hey those are some nice pics there daria lol...man i remember going to the toronto auto show when i was younger and there wasnt ever that many beautiful women posing on cars then...man thats cool

..., did you guys get to sit in it?

That's an impossibility.

I had a close look at the side of the new NSX. Something just looked too nice ... too clean ... too good to be true! If you look close enough at the door of the new NSX, you'll notice that the door hinge is placed right behind the wheel well. Compare that with the photo below with my '92 where you'll notice an obvious break in the side body panel in order to hinge the door open.

My first thought was wow! Those Acura designers have really stepped it up this time. I asked one of the Acura employees at the show about this innovative door hinge design. Could the entire door move outward and then swing open? Or did it just swing wide open where it sat - either way, that makes for one giant door opening and much easier access into the car. No more looking like an old fart trying to get in and out of the NSX! (this comment only for those older than 40 :tongue:)

He was as surprised as I was and had never noticed it before! After a few inquiries with the tech gurus, he came back with some disappointing news. The doors don't open (at least not in the car that was at the Toronto show) ... there is no interior in the car ... just a black carpeted board below the window sill that covers the interior cockpit ... there is not even an engine in the car (they put it up on dollies to move it around!) If they really had to get into the car, they remove the trim and side glass - Booooo!

So ... no engine in the car? I asked him how they filmed the commercials and the promo videos with the car motoring around an oval test track ... cruising down by a shipping port etc. .... the answer was as disappointing as the fixed doors. State of the art animation is what he told me! :confused:

One thing for sure: it will be an all wheel drive and I'm willing to trade in my silver '92 for one of those.

66572425.jpg

11356000.jpg

... Did you see other NSX owners/club members? ...

The place was packed with camera dudes. We did run into Lucas clicking some shots of a Lambo.

During lunch, one of the reporters noticed my Club shirt and started asking questions. He used to own a black '92 but sold it to an Italian guy 5 or 6 years ago.

Bram and I also asked the Acura boys about available quantities, ordering process, waiting list etc. They are still trying to figure it out themselves. Acura was approached by a doctor out of Windsor who purchased the first NSX in Canada. He wanted to be first again on the order list but was told to sit tight as they have not figured out the process. They anticipate low quantities of the new NSX. They did mention to Bram and I that a lottery draw may be a fair solution to a competitive waiting list.

DK

Last edited:
Great pics fellas.

The first time around the order process was a dog's breakfast apparently. Acura West (being one of the only Acura dealers in Ontario) sold more NSXs than any other Canadian dealer. The problem was that after they placed the orders for the cars, they were told that the cars were being diverted to the USA where the buyers were paying over list.

Acura West has 5 people on their list here in London. But as you say there is no real list yet.

Daria, you telling em you thought the Gran Turismo movie was a real car? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, car looks great. I'm looking forward to picking one up.

I heard they would take orders spring of 2014 $10000. non refundable deposit for spring delivery of 2015. Automatic only no stick. Price between $150,000 & $200,000. But you can't believe everything you hear. Not real happy about the no stick going the way of Jaguar.

Back