• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Mouthpiece Says No Plan to Can the Gen 2

I think "Chingy" designed those wheels right therrr.

Gen 1 is .. Long Tail! Wonder beside extra trunk space, any reason why Honda made the gen 1 NSX tail so long ?
The long tail and side scoops were designed in the spirit of early Group C racing cars and were very effective at reducing the cars aero Cym. Plus it provided room for a useable trunk and the room needed for a 90deg V-6 engine.

The long tail and side scoops were designed in the spirit of early Group C racing cars and were very effective at reducing the cars aero Cym. Plus it provided room for a useable trunk and the room needed for a 90deg V-6 engine.

Yep, according to Honda literature it was for aerodynamic stability at high speed with the obvious side-effect of making their everyday-usable supercar more practical (large trunk).

In defense of the gen 2, it's a looker for sure. I still like the look. The gen 1 is just so out dated in stock form. Those wheels in that picture though on the gen 2 are absolutley hideous. It's just kinda a shame that they are just dumping these cars on people and basically turning their backs on everything that's appearently wrong with them. What people also do not take into account on the sales figures are the cars that are sold, driven for 2,000 miles or so and then listed for sale again. In actuality, it's kinda not a true sale. You'd have to be somewhat foolish to think the car is doing well. Nobody is buying these cars, it's just a fact...

Time to let it go man!

I'm happy they aren't going to cancel the NSX yet. I'm still holding out hope for a targa version someday. I think it would look sweet and give a bit of a sales bump.

there are many owners posting here who are over the moon happy with their choice..and one very vocal disgusted lessee that has drowned them out...but those of us who know DocL still love him:wink:

there are many owners posting here who are over the moon happy with their choice..and one very vocal disgusted lessee that has drowned them out...but those of us who know DocL still love him:wink:

I’ve been in contact with a few other NC1 owners who are in the process of a Lemon Law also. They aren’t present here though. Btw, my car is a pile of 💩.

They say you're not supposed to buy the first year of any new car platform, so there is time for the manufacturer to work out the bugs...... If you look at the C8 Corvette link I posted, apparently Chevrolet has some major issues with the Corvette chassis flexing so much that the rear windows are breaking..... So apparently they are having to do a whole lot of re-engineering, among other issues. Corvette guys are pissed off about the delay of the C8 launch, but better than bringing a defective car to market in a rush. The NSX, as far as I can tell, doesn't have any major flaws that are apparent in all cars across the board (?). But I'm sure there could be others that have had issues. Technology in the auto business today is quite amazing, from development and design to assembly, but it doesn't insure perfection every time. Hoping that the cars that have had these major issues are the exception and not the rule........

DOC, read all your post. Is the displeasure with your car all associated with how the dealer messed it up or are some of the reasons related to design / manufacturing of the NC1. Put it this way, would you get another NC1 if Acura made you whole for everything you went through?

In defense of the gen 2, it's a looker for sure. I still like the look. The gen 1 is just so out dated in stock form.

Looks are subjective, but I have to disagree with you here. I believe the Gen 1 design falls into the category of "timeless"--it still looks as stunning today as it did in the early 90's. I fear the Gen 2 design will not age nearly as well, but time will tell.

And I also disagree about the Gen 1 "in stock form". I've yet to see an aftermarket kit that I felt improved on the look; it was quite nearly perfect straight from the factory. But like I said at the start, looks are subjective!

IMO, theres not many current vehicles that will age well. maybe certain mclarens and some of the grand touring ferraris. too many straight lines and hard creases.

its been said, you cant draw a woman with straight lines.

lambo has been doing it forever, but i wouldn't call them beautiful.

DOC, read all your post. Is the displeasure with your car all associated with how the dealer messed it up or are some of the reasons related to design / manufacturing of the NC1. Put it this way, would you get another NC1 if Acura made you whole for everything you went through?

There were multiple problems with my car before the lastest issue. The experience with the one dealer was just icing on the cake. Unfortunately I am finished with the brand altogether.

IMO, theres not many current vehicles that will age well. maybe certain mclarens and some of the grand touring ferraris. too many straight lines and hard creases.its been said, you cant draw a woman with straight lines.lambo has been doing it forever, but i wouldn't call them beautiful.
I agree 100%!

I'm torn on whether to move ahead with getting the NSX. I like it a lot but don't love it. What puts me off the most is how complicated this thing is and not friendly for serviceability. I have a bike and car both I've owned for 20 and 15 years. The only time my machines go to the shop is for tires and a new clutch. I do everything else. Point is..part of the joy of ownership is working on the car myself and this NSX is A pain to work on. 7 drain bolts for oil and valve adjustments require pulling out the engine. Adding insult to injury, after you get done changing the engine oil. You also need to change oil in the twin motor unit. Read the maintenance manual. There more to it than typical Honda.

Since i keep cars fo a long time, the other concern is how long are part going be available and whether there will be qualified techs who knows how to work in the car. Gees,an overheated engine can lockout the engine from restart along with a blown center mount brake light fuse. Crazy how complex this car is. And if a set of floor mats cost $1200, pricing on service and repair parts could be very pricy. Throw in the recalls and I'm done.

Silver F16,
I knew all about the maintenance items you mentioned, but this is the first that I've heard of engine out for a valve adjustment. Seriously?!?!? That is a throw back to the Ferrari 355 and predecessors that mandated dreadful services. The 7 drain bolts makes no sense and that should have been reduced to 2-3 cause that is way too points for failure. Engine out for any service is a righteous pain. Would you happen to have a reference to the process for valve adjustment? Sorry to derail the thread but this morsel of information is new to me and would certainly alter one's perceptions of the car.

^^^
I looked at that. DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN. That’s some expensive service. Keeping my gen 1 is looking better and better.

OTOH, because of Prime, I’m sure there are going to be people here who show us how to do these services ourselves to save $$$$$. I have faith in our little corner of the Internet.

18+ year wait for my first valve adjustment at my current rate of 4K miles/year. Time for another 529 plan.

I'm torn on whether to move ahead with getting the NSX. I like it a lot but don't love it. What puts me off the most is how complicated this thing is and not friendly for serviceability. I have a bike and car both I've owned for 20 and 15 years. The only time my machines go to the shop is for tires and a new clutch. I do everything else. Point is..part of the joy of ownership is working on the car myself and this NSX is A pain to work on. 7 drain bolts for oil and valve adjustments require pulling out the engine. Adding insult to injury, after you get done changing the engine oil. You also need to change oil in the twin motor unit. Read the maintenance manual. There more to it than typical Honda.

Since i keep cars fo a long time, the other concern is how long are part going be available and whether there will be qualified techs who knows how to work in the car. Gees,an overheated engine can lockout the engine from restart along with a blown center mount brake light fuse. Crazy how complex this car is. And if a set of floor mats cost $1200, pricing on service and repair parts could be very pricy. Throw in the recalls and I'm done.

I was in the same boat as you with the NC1. Had a line on a white/red one for a good deal, but decided not to since I already had the supercar experience with the GT-R and I liked but didn't love the NC1 design. I decided to spend all that money on my S Zero project instead. :) I'm really hoping that for the first model refresh, Honda will make the NC1 have more cues from the original. Longer tail and totally revised nose would go so far toward that. I think it was a huge mistake to go with the then-current Acura design language for a halo car. Those looks change every 3-5 years and the car ends up looking dated rather quickly. The Gen1 has a timeless design (much like the 911 and V8 F-cars). Would it be that hard to put the HSV-10 nose and Gen1 NSX tail on this proven platform?

Back