• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura NSX NA2 vs Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06

You're right, Everyone's definition of value is going to be slightly different. I could say to someone that I think a Mercury Tracer and a Lamborghini Murcielago are equally great cars as well. However, I believe there are some underlying priniciples sports car buyers use to judge their purchase. Some of which I believe are looks, hanlding, straightline speed, depreciation, exclusivity, running costs etc.

While looks might be argued by some, and straightline speed is obviously in the Z06s favor, the NSX adds value so much more in every other category. If were just looking at it from a financial standpoint, it will be even easier to define which car provides more value, just based on the costs and depreciation expenses.

(FYI, I'm arguing just because it's fun..)

"Sport car buyers" do not all have the same list of attributes, and provide like weight to those attributes as you and I might. A Torque-loving quarter-mile Ford Cobra buyer is no less of a "sports car buyer" than a Mazda Miata auto-cross junkie, even though those two cars have vastly different characteristics in pretty much every category you listed. Likewise, a Z06 buyer is no less of a sports car buyer than a NSX buyer just because they have a different list of attributes and weight to those attributes.

From a financial perspective, I would have bought the McLaren F1, Ferarri F40, F50 (and lots of other Ferarris..) driven them once or twice, left them in my garage and they would have APPRECIATED significantly.

All I'm saying is, buy the car and enjoy it! I've had and driven lot of cars..... and probably have lots more. No car is 'perfect' (except maybe the McLaren, Enzo, F430, GT3... oh nevermind...)

You're right, Everyone's definition of value is going to be slightly different. I could say to someone that I think a Mercury Tracer and a Lamborghini Murcielago are equally great cars as well. However, I believe there are some underlying priniciples sports car buyers use to judge their purchase. Some of which I believe are looks, hanlding, straightline speed, depreciation, exclusivity, running costs etc.

While looks might be argued by some, and straightline speed is obviously in the Z06s favor, the NSX adds value so much more in every other category. If were just looking at it from a financial standpoint, it will be even easier to define which car provides more value, just based on the costs and depreciation expenses.

You talk about straight-line speed like that's all the corvette can do, which I find hilarious because it truthfully beats in NSX in just about every category I can think of (0-60, hp, torque, skidpad, gas mileage, braking). We have to face the fact that the ZO6 is basically a supercar at an "affordable" price. Chevrolet has come a long way with the corvette and I was shocked the first time I got to feel out the new interior. You really can't beat it for the price.

The NSX is a unique car and it seems like everyone has a corvette. You just have to choose what you like better.

The funniest thing about this thread to me is that until I paid more attention to the usernames, I thought you two were the same guy arguing against himself.

look at you two... I guess all yellows look the same to me. Are you guys the same?!!!! :D :D :D

andyNSX and slowNSXT avatars:

Attachments

• NSX[1].jpg
    NSX[1].jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 141
    13.2 KB · Views: 104
The funniest thing about this thread to me is that until I paid more attention to the usernames, I thought you two were the same guy arguing against himself.

look at you two...

andyNSX and slowNSXT avatars:

True true. :biggrin: :biggrin: Laugh my ass off!
I'm just having fun, that's all and I think Andy too :tongue:

Yeah, It's all in good fun, sometimes I may seem too serious about my NSX passion.

Gotta love those yellow NSX-Ts :)

That's an oxymoron! "Value" is qualitive, subjective and not objective or scientific. It can not be measured, and thus it can not be 'undeniable'!

I somewhat agree but while "value" is a subjective concept there are quantifiable factors one can use in determining a value. As long as we all agree on what "value" means I disagree that scientific methods cannot be used to determine it. I think most NSX owners pretty much agree on what value is. I think every NSX owner considers the NSX a good value.

Someone who loves Chevy might consider the NSX a poor value. Why? It's not a Chevy. A dollar spent on an NSX is a wasted dollar as that dollar could have been spent on a Chevy. That sounds ridiculous, and it is, but it's true to life. However that doesn't mean the term "value" goes out the window. If that were the case the word wouldn't be in our vocabulary. It does mean something and can be quantified as long as the criteria are agreed upon. It is possible to quantify subjective things. There are very few people that would consider the NSX ugly, for example. There are very few people who would consider Heidi Klum ugly. Sure, there are some, but the vast majority agree and you can quantify that with a very small margin of error. Buying a pallet-load of toilet paper at Costco might be a good value. But if you have nowhere to store it it suddenly becomes a very poor value. But the vast majority can find a way to store it and agree it is a great value--that's why I have Costco stock. :wink:

If out-of-the-box performance is the single most important thing for you then of course the NSX represents a poor value. Go build a kit car for $20,000 and it can be faster than a ZO6. That would, in turn, make the ZO6 a poor value. Maybe you love Chevy. An NSX given to you for free would be a poor value as you don't even want it in your driveway. Where does it stop?

I am of course assuming my audience shares the same notion of "value" regarding cars as I do which is a pretty safe bet here on an NSX forum where we all own NSXs. Looking at the pros and cons of both cars (which are quantifiable) the NSX has many more pros and initial costs are only slightly more with overall costs being substantially lower if looked at over the life of the car (which in itself is a con.)

Of course we have to agree on what "value" means but as long as we do that it can be scientifically and mathematically determined. I was simply assuming that most posters here shared the same criteria as I.

Funny you should mention "undeserved image" Dave. Like Vettes and gold chains, or Hondas and reliability.

Ski you wear a big Gold chain don't you. Come on... fess up. The NSX is just a cover to hide your true identity.

Yes, its a really hard decision, especially if you havent experienced both cars. Both have their attributes, and its kind of hard to choose from almost completely different vehicles that have their own type of shine.

Last edited:
What year NSX would you be looking at?

You haven't driven either? You have to drive them man!

My father-in-law has an Black 06' and when he moved to Wisconsin last year he quickly realized that in the winter months he couldn't even make it in and out of his driveway. He offered me the car for $40k and it was only 6 mos old. I politely declined.

You turned down a 6-month old Z06 for $40K? I'll take it if the offer still stands!
Casper Investments, huh??? Hmmmm...:biggrin:

... I guess all yellows look the same to me.:

Am I detecting a anti-yellow bias now? Aren't you in enough trouble with the LBBP crowd?

3 year old Z06's aren't worth much... I see 2 for $29,000, a few for $31,000 a lot for around $33k with only 30,000 miles on them. I can't imagine one with 100,000 miles. Probably wouldn't be able to sell it.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...SC&keywordsrep=122048054&keywordsfyc=__ejA2__

Those are C5 Z06's. The C6 Z06's are a much, much improved car and what people would seriously consider if they are in the market for a NA2 NSX. Those are $60k+, which is not a bad depreciation hit at all for the previous owner.

Is this on the web somewhere (usually CR is a subscription based service and does not allow public access)? JD Power gave 4.5/5.0 for manufacturing quality according to Cars.com.

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/res...rolet&makeid=9&modelid=86&year=2006&myid=7723

i tried to get the reliability history but it would not copy. here is CR's summary. trust me - there are a LOT of black dots (bad)

//The Corvette offers impressive performance from its 6.0-liter, 400-hp V8. The ride is relatively comfortable. Handling is capable, although light steering and the car's width reduce agility. The interior is roomy for a sports car, though some found seat support lacking. The trunk will hold two golf bags. Fit and finish, although improved, doesn't match the car's price tag. The Z06 is a bargain super car, with a potent 505-hp engine and much better handling than the base Corvette. It is available only as a coupe with a six-speed manual transmission. Two special, limited-production models will be offered this year. Reliability remains well below average.//

06 C6 Z06s(505HP) had MSRPs ranging from the high $60s to around $71K fully loaded. GM got a little greedy and raised the 07 C6 Z06 MSRP to range from the very low $70s to around $78K fully loaded.

The old C5 Z06(405 HP) in it's last year, 04 had a typical MSRP of roughly around 51-52K although one could find deals in the mid-upper $40s in 04.

Possibly a used Silver O4, with 5k miles, for 55k.
So where are you guys from?(AndyNSX N Turbo2go) And how is the nsx's rarity?

I'm from SE Michigan. Not including gatherings and events, I've probably seen just about 5 NSXes total on the road the whole time I've been living here. It's pretty nice having a rare car, and not seeing my car on the road 10x on the way to work like I did with when i had a Vette. The production was around 150-200 cars for the last few years of the NSX, and about 40000 for the Corvette, making the NSX about 200x rarer.

If you want exclusivity, you will not be dissapointed. If you could get an 04 with 5k miles for 55k, jump on it, that is a great deal for an awesome car.

06 C6 Z06s(505HP) had MSRPs ranging from the high $60s to around $71K fully loaded. GM got a little greedy and raised the 07 C6 Z06 MSRP to range from the very low $70s to around $78K fully loaded.

The old C5 Z06(405 HP) in it's last year, 04 had a typical MSRP of roughly around 51-52K although one could find deals in the mid-upper $40s in 04.

MSRP= Doesn't matter! I am pretty sure that there are/were none (06-07)available for MSRP and certainly there were none available the first year out. I saw many price tags at or above $80k.

You turned down a 6-month old Z06 for $40K? I'll take it if the offer still stands!
Casper Investments, huh??? Hmmmm...:biggrin:

:biggrin: That was a "family only" deal because one of the stipulations was that whenever he was in CA (for a few days, every month) he would have free reign over the car :rolleyes: . I also had a buddy that would take it off his hands, but he said "no way"...

:biggrin: That was a "family only" deal because one of the stipulations was that whenever he was in CA (for a few days, every month) he would have free reign over the car :rolleyes: . I also had a buddy that would take it off his hands, but he said "no way"...

I would have taken it. Save 40k for a few days a month? Worth it to me..
And then 6 mo months later, sell it for 60k :)

Back