• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura NSX-T vs. Porsche 911 Turbo

Well gang, many of you have been following my plight to replace my recently sold 2000 NSX-T. After much consideration and a look at old and new NSXs, I decided to punt the entire thing and go for broke (almost litterally)
wink.gif
A few days ago, I bought a 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo... and it is unreal.

Many of you have meen musing at my cliams of how my old 1996 Porsche C4S compared to my 2000 NSX... well, the new turbo doesn't just take that comparison to a new level, it is in an entirely different zip code! For those of you who have not had the pleasure, all I can say is that as good as the numbers are they don't even come close to describing the actual driving experience.

HP: 420hp, Torque: 560 Nm, 0-60: 4.2 seconds, 0-100: 9.2 seconds, Top speed: 189 mph. All-wheel-drive, Handling is telepathic. Steering input is effortless, yet not too light. It really is a driving experience unlike any other.

Now, don't get me wrong, I thik we will all agree how easy the NSX is to drive and how comfrotable it is, and also how reliable and cost effective it is to own and service... and all those things are really inportant, but when you get right down to it, for me, it was a matter owning one of the finest sports cars in the world.

If Acura/Honda knows what is good for them, they had better be packing something closer to this caliber of performance if they intend to make the next generation NSX a success. Like many of you have mused, Honda might make the car $60K and more of a mass market leader... and if they do, then that is one route to go. But there is also talk of the car being $130K like this 911 Turbo is, and all I can say is that Honda has their work cut out for them.

For those of you that are interested in the ride of your life... drop by Blacksburg, VA and I will be glad to make good on my offer. For those of you that think you have what it takes to go up against me, then bring on your NSX and bring your lunch, but I can tell you now, you will not go home a happy camper.
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
2000 NSX-T #51 Yellow/Black

Gordon,

I don't think you will have a problem convincing anyone here that the 911 Turbo is greatness.

It is unfortunate that Acura does not release an "S" verson here in the United States wherein the "S" would really stand for "supercharged". I think this "S" version would be a nice rival to the Porche turbo and Ferrari 360 in terms of raw performance.

Gordon, you will have to keep us up to date on the overall impression you have as you spend more time in your new car.

Actually...both are my dream cars...my favorite 911T is the '96 and '97 Turbo S.

As reported in so many editorials, the newer Porsche models are becoming more user friendly and are effortless to drive. This is why they say many "old school" die hard Porsche fans seem to frown at todays highly advanced and more technical model Porsches because they seem to take away that old "Porsche" mystique of handling what many have considered to be the only "true" sports car ever. Umm,..I'm not trying to be funny but this was only in response to how telepathic the driving appears to be. I say congrats 100% on your new toy. Everyone knows the NSX is my dream of dream cars,.. but believe me, I get scrape marks on my chin everytime I see a 911T roll by and I can hear the untamed roar from its ass.

Gordon, how dare you come into the nsx forums and try and compare your measly porsche with the acura nsx, the absolute worlds greatest car,period!

Its a good thing i share your views completely! The 911 turbo is miles apart from the nsx in every catagory. It combines the build quality and reliability of the acura with 10X the performance. People spend tens of thousands of dollars modifying their nsx's and still fall short.way short unfortunatley.

Wish you the best of luck with your machine and if you want to make it even faster, give me a holler. checkout www.billetdesign.com . computer+air filter upgrade=490hp!

"For those of you that are interested in the ride of your life... drop by Blacksburg, VA and I will be glad to make good on my offer. For those of you that think you have what it takes to go up against me, then bring on your NSX and bring your lunch, but I can tell you now, you will not go home a happy camper.
wink.gif

Gordon, congrats on your new purchase! I totally agree that the 996TT is one of the best money can buy, and it's is a rocketship to say the least. I do love the P cars. However, I'm sure there a few NSX's out there that could hold their own!
wink.gif
Be careful what you ask for! (unless you go to modifying and then well I guess that would be a different ball game!) At any rate, congrats and post some pics and more info (options etc.) if you get a chance!

------------------
Jason

[This message has been edited by Jason Weaver (edited 25 August 2002).]

What?? Are you saying that you can spend 115,000 on a 911 Turbo and beat a 75K 2002 NSX?? You must be joking..
rolleyes.gif
Tell us something we don't know..

Anyway, congrats on your car..

As for NSXs to race.. I think Gery's car would completely embarass you.

As of lastest C&D:
911 Turbo: 1/4 mile 12.9 @115
Gery: 11.94 @ 125

Actually, you should watch out for a Z06.. as it ran the 1/4 in 12.8 @ 114..

You wouldnt want to get beat by a car costing 65K less, now would you? For the price of a 911 Turbo, you could get a brand new Z06 and a 2000 NSX.

Oh well, enjoy your car.

as a matter of fact netviper, i was at moroso in palm beach with an experienced porsche driver clicking off consistant 11.90's from a bone stock 996 tt.this guy has no remorse for his clutch. gerrys car would win from a roll since his mph of 125 is substantially higher than this guys 118mph. nothing a few minor bolt on for the porsche wouldnt fix though.

plus your comparing a stock car to a nsx thats basicly completely worked. any nsx with bolt ons, including supercharger would get whooped!

Originally posted by NetViper:
As for NSXs to race.. I think Gery's car would completely embarass you.

As of lastest C&D:
911 Turbo: 1/4 mile 12.9 @115
Gery: 11.94 @ 125

Actually, you should watch out for a Z06.. as it ran the 1/4 in 12.8 @ 114..

Who gives a crap about 1/4 mile times? I can make a frigging shopping cart beat those times with a big enough engine.

I would bet that the average driver can move a stock 996 Turbo around the track faster than just about any NSX in any configuration. The car is that easy to drive, and the stability management system is that good.

I've let some local NSX driver/instructor types take my 996 with PSM on the track and they have always come back with big smiles and a new appreciation for the car.

EDR

Does your car have the X50 enhancement package ??

Its not specific what the increase in boost pressure is... but I like the fact that its a "factory tweak" with the appropriate ECU and tranny upgrades.

###############

From Autoweek

If you haven't already ordered your 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo (right), here's a tip: Be sure to add the optional X50 enhancement package.

The factory-only option boosts engine output to 450 hp (from 415 hp) and torque to 457 lb-ft at 3500-4500 rpm (vs. 415 at 4600 rpm). It also shoves the $116,000 base price up by $17,700, but that's a relative bargain for near-GT2 horsepower in an all-wheel-drive Porsche for two-thirds the price of the rwd GT2. The package modifies the turbocharger, air intake cooler, electronic control unit and exhaust system, and adds a strengthened transmission. Sorry, the option can't be retrofitted to 2001 or previously produced 2002 Turbos.

Porsche 911tt is an awesome car, but I agree with the rest of the posts that you aren't comparing apples to apples... anyway, congrats and enjoy your car. A 911tt is about the only car I would trade my NSX for when $$$ comes in!

How about a 2002 NSX-R with a Comptech 9lbs Supercharger (or any F/I.. BBSC, GM, Gerrys Turbo) vs the 911 GT2?

What?? Are you saying that you can spend 115,000 on a 911 Turbo and beat a 75K 2002 NSX??

No, Gordon's saying that he can spend $130,000 on a 911 Turbo and beat a $75K 2002 NSX.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by erobbins:
Who gives a crap about 1/4 mile times? I can make a frigging shopping cart beat those times with a big enough engine.

Or an MR2.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by erobbins:
I would bet that the average driver can move a stock 996 Turbo around the track faster than just about any NSX in any configuration.

I'll take that bet. However, my comment is not a reflection on the 996 Turbo's capabilities; with equal drivers, it does indeed post significantly better numbers than the NSX, stock vs stock. My point is only that an experienced driver driving just about anything can often beat an average (i.e. inexperienced) driver driving just about anything.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 25 August 2002).]

How about a 2002 NSX-R with a Comptech 9lbs Supercharger (or any F/I.. BBSC, GM, Gerrys Turbo) vs the 911 GT2?
may be close on a good day... but IMO the GT2 will beat ANY street-legal NSX on most days

G-man, congrats on your new purchase. The 996TT is a fine machine!!! I think you made an excellent choice.

Enjoy the ride!

I am curious though... do you think you can beat a boosted MR2 with a GenIII motor (or whatever it's called)? I hear those are pretty mean...
biggrin.gif

(sorry guys, I couldn't help it
wink.gif
)

Congrats on a fantastic car G-man.

Allan-
Just the other night I put 3 car lengths on a 01 TT up to around 130 from a 60 start. Perhaps the performance is not as far off as one might think. I have spent under 10 thousand in go fast mods as opposed to the plural number (10's), that you quoted. BBSC + Headers. That said, if I could trade up for a TT tomorrow, I would.

I talked to the TT driver post encounter and bs'd a bit about each of our rides. He had never had another car hang with him before. Apparently the closest encounter he has had was with a ZO6, which he said was handled comfortably. I believe it was the 385hp model though. From a stop the TT all wheel drive would eat me up, but I don't find myself stoplight racing anyway.

On a road course, I imagine the outcome would be different though.

No matter how you slice it, the P car turbos are simple incredible automobiles. Enjoy.

Allen wrote:

"The 911 turbo is miles apart from the nsx in every catagory. It combines the build quality and reliability of the acura with 10X the performance. People spend tens of thousands of dollars modifying their nsx's and still fall short.way short unfortunatley."

I have to completely disagree (well partially) with your "fall short. way <sic> short" comment. I do agree, as anyone would, that the 996 Porsche Turbo is a modern engineering marvel. The NSX used to be too; used to be. But you may remember a prior post about a 91 NSX/BBSC ($28K NSX, $6K performance mods (BBSC & Sways) all else stock) pulling on a '02 996TT, well that was me. I was very fortunate enough to have met up with the owner (Z-18) at a later date for a 2-3 hour canyon run. Even though I consider myself a "C" driver at best, on a rather nasty 1st-2nd gear section, I was neck & neck with the much more, significantly more, experienced '02 996TT driver. After this section, we pulled over and spoke about the run and I remember the '02 996TT owner being very surprised at how the NSX kept up on him. Me too considering my lack of experience. Further, the '02 996TT owner has a Zanardi, which he stated "Is a better track car than his Porsche." Z-18 are you out there? I'm pretty sure that was a direct quote, but I'll let him make the comparison, as he has 50X the driving and experience with fast cars as I do. Checkout his prior topic/post, something about - "What are your experiences with performance cars."

Don't be fooled, an 11 year old $34K car, with an armchair-gran-tourismo driver is formidable opponent.

P.S. It's good to see you found the caps button; well at least for one reply.

P.S.S. Play nice, I'm not as aggressive as you.
smile.gif

emvanderpol,
not saying that your story isnt true, but ive driven 2 supercharged cars soo far, and neither was anything close to the acceleration of a 911 turbo. i have yet to see a supercharged nsx run an 11.90@118, but i have seen a bone stock 996 tt run that repeatedly.either way, i like both cars, but if someone were tossing the keys, id catch the porsche keys over any nsx, regardless of its mods.

Back