• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura RL needs Help

"The RL lacks a V-8 engine, an amenity expected by many luxury buyers."

NewsFlash:rolleyes: ...someday Honda will build a luxury car that people want ..not just the car they want to build.

Not only is it underpowered for it's class, but the rear seat leg room is that of the TL. The people looking for a sedan in that class are also looking for a car that can haul four grey heads to the early bird dinner. :biggrin:

and what's up with the wheels design, it's too small and look even smaller and worse. This is just the theory, the "dull" looking headlight, if not corolla like, and that small wheel is enough to turn those "bling" potential buyer away... Park it next to a comparable price Lexus and Infinity, it looks surprisingly "regular"...

ok, maybe not to Honda fans!! (like me.) who had already seen how sweet the tuned RL looks from Amuse, Spoon, Mugen and others... But like DocL pointed out, that's not how those grey heads spend their money either.

All I can say is that with the addition of the ASPEC suspension, Body & 18" wheels w/Pirelli P-Zero Nero's this is a great car...hey it's $50K 4 door sedan w/4WD and a 300HP V6, not a $75K LS430 or $70K 545i...both of which I've also owned in the past BTW...for me the RL is a better car for the $$....The 5.1 sound system is fantastic!

8860NSX_ASPEC_RL-med.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I think the fix for the cars is a hybrid! Yes, I said it... Hybrid. Think about it, this car lacks low-end TQ big time. An IMA system would solve that and give it a good boost in HP.

As for styling, I like it, but it is a little forgettable and ordinary. The TL is more attractive. The Interior is gorgeous.

As for rear seat room, I think the TL might even have more. It is WAY too small for this class. They need another 3 inches in there.

Hothonda said:
All I can say is that with the addition of the ASPEC suspension, Body & 18" wheels w/Pirelli P-Zero Nero's this is a great car...hey it's $50K 4 door sedan w/4WD and a 300HP V6, not a $75K LS430 or $70K 545i...both of which I've also owned in the past BTW...for me the RL is a better car for the $$....The 5.1 sound system is fantastic!

"The 2005 Lexus LS 430 is powered by a 290-horsepower 4.3-liter aluminum V8 and comes standard with the six-speed automatic transmission. The LS 430 ($55,675) comes as one model, loaded with every feature expected of a flagship luxury sedan and more. Standard features include a power moonroof with auto open/close, a power rear sunshade, and lighted rear-seat vanity mirrors."

Where are you finding 75K LS430s?

DocL said:
Not only is it underpowered for it's class, but the rear seat leg room is that of the TL. The people looking for a sedan in that class are also looking for a car that can haul four grey heads to the early bird dinner. :biggrin:

LMAO !!! That is hilarious !!

snowball...

zahntech said:
"The LS 430 ($55,675) comes as one model.*"

Where are you finding 75K LS430s?

* That's not eggactly true, the LS430 can be acquired w/ numerable factory packages:

2005 MSRP: $57,220
Ultra Luxury Selection (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $11,320
Ultra Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS) [9] (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $13,570
Custom Luxury Selection (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $5,935
Custom Luxury Selection with Pre-Collision System (PCS) [9] (requires Interior Upgrade Package) - $8,185
Premium Package - $1,390
Modern Luxury Package - $4,980
Sport Package with Polished-Finish Alloy Wheels - $800
Sport Package with Chrome Wheels - $2,500

Individual Factory Options
- Interior Upgrade Package with perforated leather trim (requires Ultra Luxury or Custom Luxury Selection) - $2,100
- Interior Upgrade Package with perforated luxury leather trim (requires Ultra Luxury or Custom Luxury Selection) - $1,460
- 17-in all-season tires with Lexus Chrome Wheels [11] - $1,700
- 18-in all-season tires with polished-finish alloy wheels [11] - $800
- 18-in all-season tires with Lexus Chrome Wheels [11] - $2,500
- SmartAccess - $1,000

http://www.lexus.com/models/ls/price_options.html

I've heard that generally most LS430's usually go for $70k+!

They should slap a V8 or add a supercharger from factory :biggrin: 350-400hp should be good. :smile: Then the 50k won't look so bad.

Re: snowball...

Osiris_x11 said:
I've heard that generally most LS430's usually go for $70k+!

I don't think that's true at all. Lexus Mission Viejo had a gaggle of new LS430's on the lot when we picked up our new LX and almost all of them were stickered in the high $50's and low $60's and I'm guessing that with the announcement of the substantially improved LS460, they'll discount the crap out of that.

All I know is that my parents are on their fourth LS since Lexus debuted in the US. This one now has 135,000 miles and it looks, drives and feels brand new. Their previous three were traded in once they crossed the 100K mile barrier and the same was true. And absolutely no problems at all.

If I were in the market for a big, luxurious sedan...it'd be a no brainer.

flexin' in the lexus from long beach to texas...

Da Hapa said:
If I were in the market for a big, luxurious sedan...it'd be a no brainer.

Oh yea, that's for sure... S-class! :biggrin: :wink: hehe...

To be honest, I haven't been to a Lexus dealership in over 2-3years. Last time I was there, I saw a few SC430's & LS430's that were sticker'd for $70k'ish... I suppose it's all relative to how the dealer invoiced the factory for the models to be equipped based on what the dealership presumed they can move, so to speak.

No doubt the LS' is a marquee model, I've had one in the past. I'm tempted to get a LS400 series IV: 1998 - 2000 in the future, for that is the look that I'm very much drawn to! :cool:

I'm on my second LS and they are by far the best "luxury" sedan you can buy as far as reliability and comfort goes, the RL doesn't even compete in the same class..when Lexus introduced the LS in 1990 they raised the standard for japanese luxury cars and Honda did nothing to compete..the legend did not compete, and the RL does not either..RL?.."sporty"? sure, "luxury"? not so much....as far as the grey hairs driving the LS Lexus?...I bought my first one at age 26:tongue:

Last edited:
i have a 00 RL.(best FWD) it does a great job for what it is. luxurious, spacious, best erogonomics in its class IMO,amenities, build quality, materials used, powerful 3.5L engine. it may not be a V8 RWD, but it sure feels like it.

as far as the 05 RL's, i love the interior as well as the exterior. bland? i dont think so. the 05 RL's have a more sporty image compared to its competition (SH-AWD). bimmers, lexos, and benzez have that "status" aura in its brand. but Acura/Honda's aura is more of the "affordable luxury" or should i say "the smart choice" in all fairness, all cars mentioned above are great cars but i think Acura/Honda buyers know exactly what they're getting.

as far as sales boosting, Honda should bring back the "Legend" name, v8 SC, 6MT coupe version.

I test drove a '95 RL and was not impressed with it's power. It was not the car I had hoped it to be. It felt heavy and the paddle shifter felt disconnected from the car. After I drove the RL, I was starting to lean more towards the TL. But I really like the idea of SH-AWD, and am holding out for sportier car containing that technology. Likely the Sports 4 concept when it gets released.

Acura needs to make their brand represent the pinnicle of their abilities. Right now, I think upper crust Honda's outshine the best of Acura's line up, and that is a recipe for desaster.

EDIT- crap, typo! I own a '95 RL and I test drove a '05 RL. My '95 seemed as strong as the new '05. What's up with that??

Last edited:
Juice said:
I test drove a '95 RL and was not impressed with it's power. It was not the car I had hoped it to be. It felt heavy and the paddle shifter felt disconnected from the car. After I drove the RL, I was starting to lean more towards the TL. But I really like the idea of SH-AWD, and am holding out for sportier car containing that technology. Likely the Sports 4 concept when it gets released.

Acura needs to make their brand represent the pinnicle of their abilities. Right now, I think upper crust Honda's outshine the best of Acura's line up, and that is a recipe for desaster.

The RL didn't come out until 96. I'm sure this is a typo. Which car were you really referring to?

zahntech said:
I'm on my second LS and they are by far the best "luxury" sedan you can buy as far as reliability and comfort goes, the RL doesn't even compete in the same class..when Lexus introduced the LS in 1990 they raised the standard for japanese luxury cars and Honda did nothing to compete..the legend did not compete and the RL does not either..RL?.."sporty"? sure, "luxury"? not so much....as far as the grey hairs driving the LS Lexus?...I bought my first one at age 26:tongue:

What did you have when you were 12?

Hothonda said:
What did you have when you were 12?

LOL,..At 12?...I had a Kyosho Optima RC car and raced it at the local RC track:biggrin: It is awd (I still have it) ...at age 16 I got a Fiat 131:smile:

RLs are nice, but they just don't compete with LS Lexus or MB S class.

zahntech said:
...at age 16 I got a Fiat 131:smile: ...

Holy crap!!! :eek: :eek: You had a Fiat at 16. You must have been pretty good at DIY repairs. I had a Lancia Scorpion when I was 19 and I was constantly rigging up something to keep it running.

Acura's biggest problem IMO, is they can't get enough people, who can well afford their flagship cars, to even look at or drive them to compare what they get for their money....the NSX was the best kept secret even back in
the mid-ninties -they didn't sell well...better car, but no one was interested because it didn't say "Porsche" or ......

If you think the "S" class MB or the upcoming LS460 (or current LS430's for that matter-go look at what real world LS MSRP prices are at Lexus dealers ...$10 to $15K more than a RL minimum!) are direct competitors to the RL, better look at your checkbook balance before you go shopping.

Last edited:
Hothonda said:
Acura's biggest problem IMO, is they can't get enough people, who can well afford their flagship cars, to even look at or drive them to compare what they get for their money....the NSX was the best kept secret even back in
the mid-ninties -they didn't sell well...better car, but no one was interested because it didn't say "Porsche" or ......

If you think the "S" class MB or the upcoming LS460 (or current LS430's for that matter-go look at what real world LS MSRP prices are at Lexus dealers ...$10 to $15K more than a RL minimum!) are direct competitors to the RL, better look at your checkbook balance before you go shopping.
People who are shopping for "Flagship" do not look at RL as such, It is proven through sales figures. S class and LS are the stardard of the luxury class. RL is a fine car, just not a car most people aspire to own. I would rather paid more for a pre-owned LS430 than a Brand New RL. Oh! I did! Just my .02

My 2 cents.... I would love to own the RL. I think it's a great car. I don't need it to be the biggest luxury sedan out there. If people in the back complain about leg room, I kick them out of the car. I don't need more than 300hp or a V-8 either. A V-8 would probably be pretty cool, but how much power do you need on the street in a luxury sedan? Who is going to track an RL? I doubt most people would ever even realize the full potential of SH-AWD.
I think people should take the RL for what it is, a well made all around car.

Back