• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ADO8R vs R888

To the OP. the R888's are loud, I would not consider using them on a street car.

- - - Updated - - -

We haven't had much luck with the 888 here and while they aren't terrible, I wouldn't use them again since they tend to heat cycle out very quickly.

I would much rather use the AD08R and I myself am running the NT01s which are far superior and would say they are best overall tire when price, durability and consistency come into play.

Sure you can get the 888s cheaper, but I've found that their grip levels go from good to right around Dunlop Star Specs after a few events and my track car, a 2,000lb Civic starts to protest with lots of understeer.

No such issue with the NT01s - which I currently use in a 235/40/17 front and 275/35/18 rear on the NSX.

Hmm.. Aren't the NT01's and the R888's the same tire compound just different tread patterns??, both of them squirm when new, just have them shaved and they should last about the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Wish the Nitto made a 285 or 295 in 18" for the NT01. :(

Have you looked/measured the 275 tire?

As docjohn pointed out the NT01's runs wide, so a 275 tire is wider than your average 275 tire. Have first hand experience on this on my Cayman R running 275/40/18 NT01's, they are wider than even a 275/40/18 NT05.

Have you looked/measured the 275 tire?

As docjohn pointed out the NT01's runs wide, so a 275 tire is wider than your average 275 tire. Have first hand experience on this on my Cayman R running 275/40/18 NT01's, they are wider than even a 275/40/18 NT05.

Unfortunately, I have not in real life - just did the research from the Nitto website and Tire Rack. According to the Nitto website, the 275 is too narrow and too tall. 285/30-18 seems to be the sweet spot for my car and driving style. :(

Thanks for mentioning that though.

Aren't the NT01's and the R888's the same tire compound just different tread patterns??
I've heard people make that claim about the NT01 and the R888, as well as the RA-1. However, I haven't seen it from a reliable source (e.g. from a company spokesman and/or in the press) so I don't know if that is accurate or mere conjecture. (Nitto and Toyo are definitely part of the same company, though.)

Regarding winter storage, I thought there had been warning notices posted about all three of these tires, specifying that they not be stored below freezing (0C/32F). However, checking their websites, I see nothing about the Nitto, and the current warning on the Toyo website is about using and mounting (not storing) the tires below -9C/15F, although there is still non-brand-specific advice about storing competition tires below freezing on the Tire Rack website.

Last edited:
To the OP. the R888's are loud, I would not consider using them on a street car.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm.. Aren't the NT01's and the R888's the same tire compound just different tread patterns??, both of them squirm when new, just have them shaved and they should last about the same.

- - - Updated - - -

I also cannot determine if they are the same compound or not but I have found that the sidewall to be stiffer on the NT01.

Also the tread pattern is asymmetrical on the NT01 which makes them great for flipping them left and right. Something you cannot do with the 888. To me that's a plus as I try and even out the tire wear.

Also the tread pattern is asymmetrical on the NT01 which makes them great for flipping them left and right. Something you cannot do with the 888. To me that's a plus as I try and even out the tire wear.
The NT01 is asymmetric and non-directional; the R888 is symmetric and directional. Each has its advantages, in performance as well as convenience.

The main advantage of an asymmetric track tire like the NT01, as noted on Nitto's website here, is that the tread pattern is optimized for track use, where hard cornering puts different needs on the outside part of the tread than the inside. From a convenience standpoint, it can be moved from one side of the car to the other without the need to dismount it; however, this also means that any uneven wear between the outside edge and the inside edge cannot be evened out by flipping it on the rim, at least not without losing that performance advantage. Also, in my personal experience, the profile of the NT01 includes rounded shoulders at the tread edge, such that it can get worn down to the belts on the edge while there is still usable tread depth in the middle of the tread. (By contrast, the RA-1 has squared off corners so the tread can wear out evenly across the width of the tire.)

nithz8.l.jpg

One advantage of a directional tire like the R888 is that the symmetry puts the added grip along both edges of the tire, as described on Toyo's website here. A second advantage of a directional tire like the R888 is that such V-shaped tread patterns help shed water when used on wet pavement and particularly in standing water. In terms of convenience, if the car is wearing one edge more than the other, as is typical with the outside edge on the track, the tire can be flipped on the rim to even out the wear between the two edges, although this does mean dismounting and rebalancing, typically done halfway through the tire's lifespan.

toyo_proxes_r888_ci2_l.jpg

Last edited:
About the comment a few posts up: I have never noticed my r888 being excessively loud. I am assuming the person that's interested in a performance tire like that probably doesn't care too much about loudness. Maybe my car itself is loud overbearing the tire noise that's possible...

About the comment a few posts up: I have never noticed my r888 being excessively loud. I am assuming the person that's interested in a performance tire like that probably doesn't care too much about loudness. Maybe my car itself is loud overbearing the tire noise that's possible...

They drone.... it's as if your diff is missing oil. And the faster you go the louder it gets. At 100 MPH it is unbearably loud. You don't hear that? Regardless of car you can hear this.

Billy can you define what you mean exactly by more "stable"? How does that translate to actual feel and performance?

Imagine standing on two balls vs two squares. Outright performance is very similar but the feel is quite a bit different -which could affect someone's ability to get closer to the limit.

Track days in the winter here brings occasional rain. Just ordered a set of AD08R because I'm getting lazy to haul a trailer, switch out my Hoosiers, and ultimately lose track time due to wet conditions. This tire seems to fit the bill.

Last edited:
Turbo 2go I have had my car up to 160 mph many times and have never noticed the drone you speak of. Maybe the turbo spool or bov or exhaust counteracts this noise but my car seems to get quieter as it gets faster or perhaps I am more in the zone and shut it out subconsciously.

I really like the AD08. drove it hard on our auto slalom racer and on the streets. really nice even in the wet.

For the NSX I try the Federal 595RS-R now because its reasonable priced and also available in the correct size. Have seen good results with those tires but I kinda like to experience it myself.

Bernhard

I love the feel of my new R888's...

I went with 245/40-17 and 305/35-18. The tires are massive.

Back