• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Advan RS vs RS2 for E46 M3

I didn't want to pollute the other Advan RS2 thread so I wanted your guys opinion on what flows better for an E46 M3. The RS2's I believe are more concave. I like the pics of the RSs on the M3s here. But I know concave looks good IRL. Opinions on what's a better look and fit?

Advan RS
photo21.jpg
DSCN6404.JPG
aero8.jpg
aero7h.jpgbrake1.jpeg

I'm having trouble putting up some pics of RS2 but they are seen in the group buy thread:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/165231-Vivid-Racing-Advan-RSII-Wheel-Group-Buy

Last edited:
Why would you possibly want the old RS? I am not even sure they are available still in all sizes. The II is not more concave. It is lighter, stronger, and has the side cuts which add a lot of style to it. Contact Ahmed at vivid that did the giant group buy here, he will take care of you on price. Vivid does huge numbers with Advan.

Thanks--your opinion is valued. I just liked the way RS looked on the M and didn't have a live example of RS2. I've already put a PM into Vivid. I had not that gone far into research (lighter, stronger) but that's excellent. I didn't understand the difference between GTR and standard face.

The GTR face is concave, standard is more flat. GTR is not available in all sizes, but it's what I recommend if you can get it. Ahmed is slow to reply to PM sometimes but he is almost always at his desk. Call vivid and just ask for him. You should get him right away. Tell him Dave said to get you a good price or he will tell his girlfriend about his other girlfriend.

The GTR face is concave, standard is more flat. GTR is not available in all sizes, but it's what I recommend if you can get it. Ahmed is slow to reply to PM sometimes but he is almost always at his desk. Call vivid and just ask for him. You should get him right away. Tell him Dave said to get you a good price or he will tell his girlfriend about his other girlfriend.

Haha. Thanks

Why would you possibly want the old RS? I am not even sure they are available still in all sizes. The II is not more concave. It is lighter, stronger, and has the side cuts which add a lot of style to it. Contact Ahmed at vivid that did the giant group buy here, he will take care of you on price. Vivid does huge numbers with Advan.

haha! The side cuts is exactly the reason why I'm keeping my RS1's. The originals look 100% better.

Last edited:
I prefer the RS1's much more over the II's... but thats just my opinion!

I think the old one is more plain. I don't like it as much. What I like about synths set is the color. But I definitely don't like the plain flat spoke better than the carved out spoke. There are a lot of RS replicas too but no one has a replica with the side cut spokes. At least not yet.

Man, those Advan's look like a total copy of the Sportec Mono 10s!
picture.php

I think the old one is more plain. I don't like it as much. What I like about synths set is the color. But I definitely don't like the plain flat spoke better than the carved out spoke. There are a lot of RS replicas too but no one has a replica with the side cut spokes. At least not yet.

You're just justifying your purchase. :tongue: Although the RSII shaved down some weight, the carved out spokes doesn't make the wheels look better. In my opinion, it actually is a distracting element and makes the RS look less appealing then the original version. Same thing with the Rays 57 extremes.

Man, those Advan's look like a total copy of the Sportec Mono 10s!
picture.php

Stop trolling us! haha

UPDATE: I ordered hypersilver RS's and installed them on my car. Loved the rims and colors. Unfortunately, the offsets were way off--like a stance style look. The tires were stretched. Not what I was going for:

These weren't satisfactory so I ordered appropriate sizing (thanks Chris @ SOS). [Last year I didn't know anything about rims but now after a couple of aftermarket purchases I've learned quite a bit the hard way.] I have always preferred silver rims but this time got a decent deal on dark gunmetal, which were also available in stock.

Here's a side-by-side: hypersilver v dark gunmetal (different lighting though)

What do you guys think--whats better? How do the dark wheels look? Hopefully I adapt to the darker wheels (wife prefers them too)--otherwise I may eventually paint silver or some other wild color.

Last edited:
Is it just the photos? The front tires look just as stretched on the first set as hey do on the second set.

I like the dark gunmetal better

I have a friend looking for an M like that. That color to be exact.

Thanks. LSB (laguna seca blue) has become now quite popular for E46 M's.

Is it just the photos? The front tires look just as stretched on the first set as hey do on the second set.

I could still use wider tires but the stretching isn't as bad as it was on the first set.

So what was the old size combination and what is the new? The thing with wheels and tires is that it really is personal the look... and so you have to do the math yourself. Otherwise you wind up at the mercy of others' suggestions. Do you own two sets now?

You're 100% right. When I ordered them, I had no idea what the appropriate size was. I went by a vendor recommendation without doing reserach and I paid it for it. Once they were mounted they looked awful and I was forced to do what I should have done initially.

Hypsersilver:
18x9 24
18x10 20

Dark gunmetal:
18x8.5 32
18x9.5 25

I now have 2 sets. I'm planning on selling the hypersilvers. They're actually E92 (not E46 unless you like super aggressive/stance) fitment.

And do you know the OEM sizes and specs?

You've change the track ratio a decent amount even with the gunmetal. By about 14 mm you've widened the front track compared to the rear track. It's not the end of the world but your fronts may look like they stick out more compared to the rear and then there's the performance difference.

In all my years I've learned that I don't trust ANYONE with recommendations because either they don't do the math right or make certain assumptions or simply don't know. Even on this forum you can go and read my thread about 2002 wheel replicas and there are quite a few arguments there, as I disagree with some of the logic that is simply not mathematically accurate. There is also the weight thing that sometimes goes ignord. Anyway, I am sorry I feel bad because I originally made the recommendation to you of where to buy and it didn't work out. But I can't blame them 100% as they have to guess a bit at what you may want. Like I said it is best not to rely on anyone and just do the math, or get some opinions on forums beforehand.

Hopefully you can sell the old ones and recover most all of your money.

Last edited:
You've change the track ratio a decent amount even with the gunmetal. By about 14 mm you've widened the front track compared to the rear track. It's not the end of the world but your fronts may look like they stick out more compared to the rear and then there's the performance difference.

In all my years I've learned that I don't trust ANYONE with recommendations because either they don't do the math right or make certain assumptions or simply don't know. Even on this forum you can go and read my thread about 2002 wheel replicas and there are quite a few arguments there, as I disagree with some of the logic that is simply not mathematically accurate. There is also the weight thing that sometimes goes ignord. Anyway, I am sorry I feel bad because I originally made the recommendation to you of where to buy and it didn't work out. But I can't blame them 100% as they have to guess a bit at what you may want. Like I said it is best not to rely on anyone and just do the math, or get some opinions on forums beforehand.

Hopefully you can sell the old ones and recover most all of your money.

No worries, thanks for your concern--the vendor is actually a classy guy and has offered to help me sell my wheels. I don't have anything bad to say about them nor would I want to divert their business. Like you said, you have to do your own research and that's something I learned the hard way. In the end, it's your own car and your own $ is at stake.

My fronts do stick out a bit relative to the rears but at least they are no longer poking out past the fenders. I haven't noticed any difference in handling or performance--then again the most I do is spirited road driving. I've added a few other mods (like strut bar) that have probably actually improved the feel so it's hard for me to tease out the difference in wheel sizing. Also, I've add BBK so I will need spacers whenever I go back to the OEM wheels so the car will never feel OEM again. But again,, the changes are so minor that a street driver of my skill level won't feel it.

Back