• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aerochargers TT more testing

Nothing is on hold, the kit is available now if you send your car to me in ST Louis for the install and tune.

A boxed kit may be available soon for the 91-94 cars using the OEM ECU as the tuning solution. The ECU project and my track schedule has been the delay on the turbo kit.

Dave

So the boxed kit would only be for OBD1 cars? Nothing is planned for OBD2?

Could we order a boxed kit sans tuning solution and run an AEM Infinity separately?

So the boxed kit would only be for OBD1 cars? Nothing is planned for OBD2?

Could we order a boxed kit sans tuning solution and run an AEM Infinity separately?

Yes, but you would be responsible for your own tuning solution.

Dave

Any plans ever to get this kit approved by the ARB engineering evaluation to have them deemed carb exempt? I know it is an undertaking but with growing emissions laws it is inevitable this will be required in the future. It would also highly boost tree hugger state sales. We need an executive order here to get a turbo kit approved.

CARB approval is very expensive and time consuming. Given the low volume potential of any given NSX turbo kit (maybe a few dozen sold), it's just not economically viable. That's why SoS, Lovefab and Angus never did it. Personally, I think this kit would be killer with a AEM Infinity 8 and a built low-comp engine.

CARB approval is very expensive and time consuming. Given the low volume potential of any given NSX turbo kit (maybe a few dozen sold), it's just not economically viable. That's why SoS, Lovefab and Angus never did it. Personally, I think this kit would be killer with a AEM Infinity 8 and a built low-comp engine.
Totally understood and I get that. But emmissions laws are only getting stronger. My post being put as, "why not be the first to offer this"? For example, we all know the ctsc cost 10-12k installed. I would have gladly paid 15k for a turn key kit with carb certification.

Totally understood and I get that. But emmissions laws are only getting stronger. My post being put as, "why not be the first to offer this"? For example, we all know the ctsc cost 10-12k installed. I would have gladly paid 15k for a turn key kit with carb certification.

If ever state had the same emissions laws as Cali then it would be worth it, but being that Cali is the only one, there already is a Comptech Supercharger CARB legal, and the price for "being the first" would be about the fabricator recooping their money spent making it CARB legal and not about making money then it really isn't worth delving deeper.

Would you be willing to pay 20-25k for the same system? That is likely the premium you would have to pay for a Carb Certificate if they would ever approve a design like mine. The SOS twin would stand a better chance of passing and it would likely not get approved. Any modification that replaces or moves the factory cat will not likely be certified anyway. If you want CARB legal FI in Cali CTSC is your only real option.

Dave

Yes I have the ctsc. But just wishing and hoping someone would give more smog legal options.

I would say give up that dream...

I am sorry to tell you this but I agree with Nero. Give up or Buck up, those are really the only two options you have for a legal FI system in Cali other than the CTSC. You could always move to another less hostile automotive environment, like any other state in the union and almost any other country in the world.

Dave

Damn you RYU!

Tree Hugger!

But to see all of these show cars/show builders on TV with "re-'76 car builds" so they get around CARB is a farce.

California is the farce, and all the tree huggers live there. Give it up. Your state is run by loons that you have put in charge of dictating how you live your life.

Yes I agree with everyone here. But I think I may have hacked Mr. Dozier's thread. I was just hoping maybe there was chance. But no. Let's get back to his topic. I'm new here:smile:

[MENTION=4799]DDozier[/MENTION] did place your boost pressure sensor to a spot on the manifold or are you using a spot on the piping for reading boost pressure. I remember we talked about this for a second in emails, but I can't seem to find it. I'm thinking of tapping into the bottom of the intake to get the most accurate reading with the intercooler.

[MENTION=4799]DDozier[/MENTION] did place your boost pressure sensor to a spot on the manifold or are you using a spot on the piping for reading boost pressure. I remember we talked about this for a second in emails, but I can't seem to find it. I'm thinking of tapping into the bottom of the intake to get the most accurate reading with the intercooler.

Do not tap the bottom of the manifold it's magnesium. You can use the same vac line that feeds the fuel pressure regulator add a T in there to read manifold pressure.

You can add a map sensor and tap the upper part of the manifold after the intercooler, but be carefull where you put your sensor to make sure you avoid the EGR channels machined into the top of the intake manifold. That would give you the most accurate reading, but if you are using the OEM map sensor or it's wires and vac line it reads the manifold at the throttle body and before the intercooler. Knowing both locations would tell you the pressure drop but for a tuning purpose either location will be fine.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave do you have a video where we can hear the system? Where are we at with OBDII?

Dave do you have a video where we can hear the system? Where are we at with OBDII?

Here are a few from this year at COTA, I do not have anything on the street to share but this will give you an idea, there are a few other cars to compare with in each video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BqJ9gPlvwEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iV_RP73-WSU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Yxy7LQOxs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ViFlyi9jRXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rq5ubHwBDcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OBDII is not going anywhere fast.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks, anything from in the cabin? What's holding up OBDII? I don't even know who is working on it. I know Hondata has said no to NSX units before but what if there was a group buy with 40-50 people lined up? Are they worth talking to?

Thanks, anything from in the cabin?

Inside is always going to be bad audio for me as on the track we are required to have windows down and that means crazy wind noise, but here you go.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9BjguLyvMvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6FEI5sAoUCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mshHCexd6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OBDII through any other vendor that does not do it out of the love for this car will never happen, there is no market and no way to protect your work after you find the solution, so it is not likely one will even try.

Dave

It's remarkably quiet.

That was the plan, unfortunately in this day and age most tracks are adding noise restrictions, the system is designed to be under most if not all midwest tracks noise limits, however I do not think it will make it at Mazda Raceway when their strict noise levels are in use. I have had 1 single issue with noise at any midwest track and that was at Road Atlanta, on Sunday mornings from 8AM to 11AM while the near by church is in session they have a noise restriction, I have been black flagged there one time in the many times I have run there so I am guessing the car is right on their limit. Most others in my track group can not even run and skip the first session on Sunday morning, stock Vipers and Z06's with the exhaust baffle open can not pass the noise restrictions during this session.

I do have another version of the exhaust that I ran for about 3 months after the system was installed and before I went back to the track, it is the same basic exhaust layout but no mufflers. On idle and below 2k rpm it is just as quiet but above 3k it is an obnoxious wailing banshee that screams look at this red car I really want a ticket. I do prefer a much more OEM like sound and with the tracks I run on it is a requirement. Some newer cars with completely OEM exhaust are having issues at some of these tracks passing the noise restrictions, and it is only going to get worse as these tracks are forced to be "Good Neighbors". I am amazed that a track that has been in place for decades all of the sudden has to be the good neighbor to the guys that just built a house near by but do not want to hear the sounds of HP.

Dave

Back