• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket Stereo worth it?

I recently blew both my subwoofer as well as the speaker just behind the center console wall (not sure of type). I'm assuming Acura will charge and arm/leg to repair (read the "self-repair" article, forget it)
Wanted to know if anyone has installed new speakers/amp, and kept their stereo/cd player stock. Is it possible? Around what cost? Better quality?
Dennis in Rhode Island

I replaced my speakers with aftermarket speakers utilizing the stock enclosure box. I added bazzoka bass tube as well (single 6") that I mounted in front of the passenger seat (I'll try to take picture) that will not bother passenger. If u don't have bars and u are not tall, u can mount it behind driver seat.

I still keep the original head unit, as I don't want to butcher up the center console.

Definitely replace the stock speakers.

I just replaced the speakers in my car last week and I'm so glad I did. The quality of the sound is 1000x better.

I kept the stock headunit and added a 300 watt amp (Soundstream) with Boston Accoustic speparates. The tweeters were mounted flush on the door panel. I had them mount the amp in trunk where the tools are stored.

I did not add a subwoofer. And for my ears I get enough bass without it. There suugestion was to mount it in the foot well on the passenger side and I didn't want to lose the leg room.

Best $1500 I've spent in a long time. I just wish I had this before NSXPO. Would have made the drive from NJ much more enjoyable.

My one big piece of advice - Find a very good installer. There are lots of places to go wrong -- especially with interference from other electrical sources. Not to mention the difficulty of running wiring through the car.

Good luck
Don

Don, I havn't looked into upgrading the sound system yet, but changing just the speakers sounds attractive. Unfortunately, the car is rare enough that Crutchfield doesn't list it in it's catalog. Why size speakers are a direct bolt in and what brand did you use?

Fritz

Andrie, I love your idea for the Bazooka tube. I wish I had thought for that 4 months ago. I have a custom 10" sub in the foot well. Take up way too much room. BUT THE EARTH SHATTERING BOOM!!

NSX4fun,

I don't think you can just change speakers on the stock sound system. You need to add an amp if you do. This is because the stock bose system has self-amped speakers(?). So if you changed out the speakers you would need to add an amp.

Kenric

Correct you need an amp. The sytem I put in used a 300 watt Soundstream Amp.

My installer placed the amp where the tire changing tools are (his other suggestion was on the wall of the trunk, but I didn't want to lose trunk space).

He placed 6.5 inch speakers where the original door speakers were, plus their matching tweeter component flush mounted near the top of the door panel.

To be honest, I don't know what he did to install the 6.5s in the original speaker location. The installer had worked on a number of NSXs already and came highly recommened so I didn't question the operation.

Don

This is a long reply so sorry. I did the install on my NSX myself. I installed Infinity Perfect speakers (Aluminum drivers for Aluminum car, dumb I know, but as Harmon own both Infinity and Revel and the Revel uses aluminum drivers, well, They sound great!) For the doors, I used the original plastic cabinets. I used just the back and with the front, I used sealant and screws to mount 3/4 inch MDF. I then stuffed the cabinets with wool The holes for the drivers had been cut before putting them all together. The tweeter should be mounted close to the woofer. Be careful and patient when you put it all together in the door so the panel fits correctly. I then mounted a Soundstream Picasso amp behind the drivers seat. Heavy 4 guage wire was run from the battery through the fire wall to a common junction box as I have a second amp for the subwoofer. The subwoofer is mounted in the floor. Unfortunately, the 10 inch sub Infinity Perfect 10.1 takes too much room and I plan on using an 8 inch Morel Sub with a custom cabinet using part of the original factory cabinet. The current sub is powered by a JL Audio amp. Total cost was under $900 (bought things on EBAY) and took me about 6 hours total. I recouped almost $250 by selling my original equipment on EBAY. Email me private if I can be of further help. Still using the stock head unit but will be replacing it in the future.

Back