• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big McLargeHuge’s 1990 JDM NSX Adventure Thread

Minor Parts Hoarding Updates & Shows

Quick update for the peoples.

Attending Caffeine & Exotics at AMP back in October but I never posted it. Great day and good times were had, plus a few parade laps on the track which felt a bit odd after the NSXPO track day here the previous month.
PXL_20231021_163439745.jpg

Yeaaaah buddy. I still have a bunch of tire rubber stains to remove from the paint that will require some clay bar action.
PXL_20231021_162421085.jpg

Parts and maintenance time post-track day. Much needed engine oil and transmission fluid changes.

Swapping from the Torco MTF back to OEM Honda seems to have helped with the shifting issues I was experiencing with the Torco, which definitely seemed to hold up better on track as I never had any issues with the trans as things heated up. However, it seemed to hurt my synchro grinding into 5th issue, and was starting to affect 4th at higher speeds too, plus the differential was noisy in tight, slow turns.

With the Honda MTF swap, all of the above issues are notably better, and I can normally shift into 4th and 5th up to about 60 MPH now without issues which is what I like for street driving. Fortunately no expensive bits were found in the trans fluid strainer either.
PXL_20231124_232716888.jpg

Much needed engine air filter change.
PXL_20231124_232645402.jpg

VVIS butterfly screw boroscope inspection also shows all systems green. These will be tack-welded during the next big drivetrain service.
20231124184847072.jpg

Now for the fun stuff. I've been comtemplating the NSX-R interior trim pieces for a long while and seeing the Brooklands Green NSX-R at NSXPO was the final straw.
A6zmgl3.jpg

Pictured below are the NA1 NSX-R center console, ashtray cover, 3-piece steering wheel covers, center vent, and door trim covers, all for a reasonable price from ol' reliable Amayama. I will miss my repainted original pieces that I spent forever stripping & painting, but they were never quite perfect and didn't look as good in the sunlight.
PXL_20231123_041106270.jpg

Honestly, I expected the part numbers I ordered to be the flat matte black ones in the NSX-R I saw, but they're actually a different finish that's a bit darker with a lot of glittery flecks in the finish that almost makes it look like the pieces are flocked (easier to see zoomed in). They look flat black in darker lighting but lighter and glittery in direct light, supposedly to match the alcantara fabrics all over the NSX-R. Not quite what I was expecting but I think I like it even more.

I also ordered a roll of black perforated Alcantara from Carbon 6 Composites to use on the door card inserts and replace the gathered leather, which is a bit worn & faded in my car. This is the beginning of a pretty deep rabbit hole but I'm taking the interior refresh one step (or several) at a time.
Blk_ALC_Perf2.jpeg

(image directly from C6C @ https://www.carbon6composites.com/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/51)

Finally, here's a mockup of the steering wheel solution I went with. Really just the stock NA1 NSX-R look but with a bit of spice thrown in with the Works Bell Rapfix GTC Hybrid wheel hub and Works Bell short boss adapter. It's not a quick-disconnect hub but a flip-up version for "quick driver changes" in a race, but I just think it's neat.
Nothing wrong with the recovered OEM wheel I had (plus the airbag...), but the look was wearing a bit old on me and honestly the red baseball stiching made the grip a bit uncomfortable.
PXL_20231125_043238652.jpg

I like the period-correctness and look of the Momo Tuner wheel, this one is not the OEM NSX-R part but functionally the same for much less money as most people are wont to do. The horn button is also the El-Cheapo eBay knockoff, but if it works it works. The horn ring is the replica version from Kuya Auto (from RJ in-person at NSXPO :D) and the countersunk ring retaining bolts are from Dress Up Bolts, polished titanium in M5 x 0.8 x 15mm.

The Works Bell hub solution will be nice to have considering that the install is easier than the OEM hub and it retains the clock spring, which means the horn wiring is also plug-and-play. I bought two small stainless-steel momentary buttons to act as the cruise control buttons like other Prime members have done on the steering covers.

There is something to be said about the OEM NSX-R hub structural design with the included crumple zone and the risk tolerance of using an aftermarket billet solution, yet there has been just as much engineering, materials design and patents in the Momo and Works products for failure modes in the event of an accident that I feel comfortable using them. I could always get a motorcycle license instead ;).

That's enough rambling, the other good news is that I will *for real* be moving back to my home base in GA at the end of this year, and therefore will have much more time to spend with the car in 2024. Big plans in store 🤩

Last edited:
Back in the ATL

Hullo everyone, quick update time.

I found the time to install most of the interior bits from my last post except for the door card stuff. There's at least 5+ different minor projects I want to do with the door cards off (NSX-R trim, door lock pins, alcantara re-trimming, professional armrest reupholstering, maybe SoS aluminum door handles, new door seals) so that will wait until all the stars are aligned.

For now, here's a quick runthrough of the center console and steering wheel work. Below is in the midst of transferring the center console ashtray, switches, and shift boot to the new NSX-R console.
PXL_20240103_223108936.jpg

Comparing the old and new. No, the NSX-R console is not bigger :). I also blanked-off the extra front fog light switch that came with the car for no apparent reason. I'll save the final install picture for last since it'll spoil the steering wheel.
PXL_20240103_224917298.jpg

Then, in goes the NSX-R-like steering wheel setup. The first step was to drill two holes into my perfect new NSX-R steering wheel cover which was painful, but allowed me to use Joe G.'s very nice cruise control relocation wiring harness kit shown below. I routed the kit's wires to two stainless steel momentary switches to serve as the new RESUME & SET buttons. They're very satisfying to press (an Amazon reviewer compared them to a "clicky hotel elevator button").
PXL_20240104_194905701.jpg

Here's where the relocation harness sits underneath the driver's knee bolster. Just plugs right in. I think the kit's yellow SRS connectors are 3D-printed or something since I remember that the bare SRS terminals can't be purchased new, so this is a great use case for a custom plastic part and they fit very well.
PXL_20240104_003418107.jpg

For some reason the new steering covers came with a new steel bracket too. It looks like a slightly different design than the original one but fits the same and has no rust so seems like a win to me.
PXL_20240104_002641425.jpg

And just like magic it's all done! There's really nothing to installing the Works Bell system besides making sure you have the right parts and screws. This was already covered in detail by Chris Lum at (
) so big thanks to him for doing the hard work. It's definitely easier than using the NSX-R hub and having to remove the clock spring.

My only addendum to the video is that Works Bell asks for a 30 N*m torque spec on the steering wheel nut instead of the OEM spec of 49 N*m (36 ft*lb) to avoid stressing or cracking the 290S hub. (Reference https://www.worksbell.co.jp/en/support/tightening-torque/, or 3 kg*M)
PXL_20240105_033511622.jpg

Here's a pretty poor picture of the cruise control buttons with the wheel tilted up. Still, they don't look out of place and the cruise control works just like it did originally.
PXL_20240105_033712760.jpg

And here's the final product. I'm not quite done with the interior yet and feel like this will probably snowball into re-covering the A & B pillars and headliner at some point, and for sure getting the seats reuphostered which has been on the project list since purchasing the car back in 2020.
PXL_20240105_033404690.jpg

Next up is most likely removing the EPS rack to send over to NSX Rack Repair once I receive the new inner tie rod components from Amayama. I'm hoping it'll be one of those things I wished I had done years ago ;).

New Challenger Approaching!

Something something not NSX related, so I'll keep these posts to a minimum. But I bought a Toyota Century :D. It's a 1998 G50 V12 model with around 74k miles, all original, one owner car.
PXL_20231222_222015604.jpg
(Starting the drive back home from VA to GA at the end of Dec 2023.)

This is definitely *not* going to be my new shared daily car, yet I've had my eyes peeled for one in this spec to pop up for much of 2023. Requirements were a 1997+ G50 model (with Japan's only production V12), wool seats, Serene Blue Mica paint, low mileage, original air suspension & wheels, fender mirrors, driver's seat heater, seat doily covers, and solid overall mechanical shape & appearance.

This one checked all the boxes save for the fender mirrors and driver's seat heater which will soon be rectified. I find it funny that I thought it had the seat heater at purchase but the switch for it on the driver's door was actually to control the RL passenger's heater. I should've expected that given the car's original use case.

Presently, I've done the following jobs:
  • Installed OEM fender mirrors from Amayama (of course). Toyota gets an A+++ in my book for keeping the wiring harnesses the same for every Century as far as I've seen, so the blank plugs for the mirror motors & heaters were already ready and waiting. Drilling two large holes into each fender makes the list of most painful automotive tasks I've ever done.
    • This also "forced ;)" me into buying my first 3D printer (Prusa MK4) to make custom door mirror blanking caps which I will then branch out to make any manner of random plastic bits I would ever need. Wish me luck
  • Rebuilt the factory 8" sub with foam that had disintegrated
  • Installed custom wood grain steering wheel & shift knob
  • Reinstalled factory seat doilies and rear power curtain
  • Added cruise control (no it's not standard) from a '98 LS400, plug & play to the clock spring connector
Still to do:
  • Exterior paint correction, fix fading trim/lenses and refinish wheels
  • Full sound system with Android Auto head unit in custom bezel
  • Brake system refresh, fuel filter, drivetrain fluids, bushings, etc.
  • Aftermarket seat heater kit for the driver's seat
I don't have my own interior pictures yet but here's the car before purchase, source included..
1998-toyota-century.jpg

As it currently sits.
PXL_20240119_041929585.jpg

I really like this thing. It's almost eery how quiet it is inside and how smooth the drive is. It's also hilariously out of place wherever you go which adds to the fun factor. Of course this also buries the lede of driving around a 25 gallon fuel tank being sucked down by a V12 that takes premium only, but you can't have everything.

There will still be much more NSX news to come, as I hope once I complete my relatively simple projects with this car that I'll be able to enjoy it close to its stock, reliable form. 🤞

Cool JDM Rolls/Bentley..

Congrats, have always loved that land yacht. And you know you got a good car since it came from Driver Motorsports. You bringing it to their Japanese Legends car show at ViR?

Congrats, have always loved that land yacht. And you know you got a good car since it came from Driver Motorsports. You bringing it to their Japanese Legends car show at ViR?
Thanks, they were one of the only places I was considering buying from. They made a good profit on the car for sure but they also did a surprising amount of maintenance and clean-up before putting it up for sale which was much appreciated. New tires, spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, power steering hose, repainting the hood & rear bumper, oil change, hood struts, battery, alternator, air filters, front trailing arm bushings, etc. which saved me a lot of work.

The show would be a fun road trip, I will be strongly considering it :) I do feel bad for the NSX though..

Nice Tyler- I remember you talking about the Century. Cool that you pulled the trigger. JDM V12...
Now I just need to find someone to drive me around everywhere 🤴

Back