• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Big McLargeHuge’s 1990 JDM NSX Adventure Thread

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Thanksgiving-mas!

Same excuse as always, I've not completed any big projects recently but there's plenty of smaller things I've been collecting but neglecting to post until now.

Petit LeMans 2022. Just being here was a minor miracle as it was meant to get completely rained-out by Hurricane Ian. At the last minute, the hurricane took a different path eastward and we ended up with a beautiful October day.

This year we didn't have the big Acura/NSX get-together like last year unfortunately. Still, even though I wasn't invited to the corral I managed to sneak in behind Mark's car ;)

Another minor project complete that I've been putting off for months is replacing the shrinking windshield trim. I went the easy route and just replaced the rubber and not the lower molding. I say easy, but it still took a few hours. Mainly cleaning out as much old sealant as possible and cutting away some fastener at the ends so it would actually fit flush against the windshield. Not a fun time.

Eventually I succeeded with nearly no adhesive added except a dab on the ends to keep them down under the pillar covers. So far no issues with lifting at-speed despite not replacing the lower molding.

I also figured it was a good time to start buying more from overseas considering the favorable USD exchange rates.

Other content will be split into subsequent posts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Jzilla Car Control/Instructor Clinic

This might be the main reason I procrastinated so long in posting, I'm not much of a videographer.

I decided somewhat at the last minute to sign up for another Jzilla clinic for autoX/skid pad stuff. This one was more instructor-training focused and was just a day trip for me over to Barber Motorsports Park, but allowed for a lot more seat time doing the fun stuff.

They had a secret shopper setup where the instructor-in-training wasn't told if their driver was actually a staff member or a rando like me, but I ended up convincing one trainer that I was actually a secret instructor so my driving couldn't have been too bad ;)

Full skid pad experience, this time was a big improvement over the first time. Also why I don't take the car out in the rain on these tires anymore, lol.

Finally, at the very end of the day I got a bit overzealous and overcooked it on one corner which made for a nice clip.

Good times were had and I just about cooked this set of Indy 500 tires. New, likely different set likely coming next year after my rebuild project.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving Time

Most of the reason it's been slow on the NSX front is that, like I'd been mentioned, I finally moved to Colorado temporarily for a work project. Duration likely until at least June 2023. Don't worry, more money for parts hoarding :).

Speaking of procrastination, I "got around" to replacing my Scion tC's accessory belt tensioner pulley bearings after buying the replacement ones 3 years ago. As part of my 1,500 mile road trip prep I figured it was about time, and the old ones were pretty well toasted. I did have to tilt the engine about 20 degrees to remove one super long bolt but the actual bearing replacement was pretty easy and satisfying.
20221029_190620.jpg

Off for one last mountain drive before being put away for at least a few weeks.
20221023_110628.jpg

Mandatory stop along the way.
20221103_092205.jpg

I actually saw another NSX around Knoxville! Of course it would be nice if the focus wasn't on the windshield but time was short.
20221103_110143.jpg

Travel day 3/3 somewhere in Kansas, which goes on forever.
20221105_102626.jpg

It took a few weeks for me to settle into the new apartment, but since I had to leave my poor NSX behind I needed something else to scratch that itch and Turo had a very cool STI "to let". My plan was to drive up to the summit of Pikes Peak on a Thursday in the off-season which was risky but probably the least-crowded time to go.
PXL_20221216_184542275.jpg
(can see Pikes in the background, view from the Garden of the Gods park overlook)

Also, I got a new phone (Pixel 7 Pro) so no more complaining about the horrible pictures from my old Galaxy Note 8!

Making my way up, at about 10,000 ft now.
PXL_20221216_202440870.jpg

Unfortunately, it ended up snowing at the last minute <1" the day I had planned to summit (Thurs) so I delayed until that Friday in hopes that the last 6 miles would re-open, but no such luck. I made it to about 11,500 ft before the road was closed.

Though getting to the summit didn't work out, the mountain roads to/from Denver to the foothills of Pikes (i.e. Woodland Park) were incredible to drive and with very little traffic. I definitely want to try again, probably right before the busy season in May and rent another cool car to make it more interesting. The STI was great to drive and much different than the NSX, though I have to say I like my car better still ;). One day I want to take it up here on another road trip.

Side trip to the Forney Museum of Transportation in Denver which had this little display. Worth a visit if you're in the area.

Plus, cheese car.
PXL_20221215_202325443.jpg

Finding alternate methods of getting my fix with the local Denverites :whistle:
20221127_120320.jpg

That about clears my backlog of stuff, I don't anticipate having too much more NSX-related until I get back mid-2023 and then it's off to the races again. Of course, I have to be ready for NSXPO 2023 which happens to be in Atlanta this time. The community around ATL (and the Southeast) is very active and they've done a great job of bringing NSXPO back to the Southeast and organizing for the event. I haven't been much involved being out of state, but hope that will change closer to Sept/Oct 2023. Hope to see a lot of forum & other friends attend, we've had people drive here from TX and Ontario for smaller events so distance shouldn't be an issue ;).
319879481_688315646142024_6150955301830489655_n.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wet skidpad looked fun.
When we were able to try that at NSXPO (@VIR) it took some practice to get the car to slide well.
In fact, I ended up using the technique Senna made famous in one of his Monza prototype NSX videos.....letting go of the steering wheel to let the caster unwind it since a manual rack requires more movement ;^D

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth a try for all NSX owners, I think :). The hard water spots after are not much fun though.

I can try letting Jesus take the wheel next time, as you can see my hands were very busy ;). As another instructor told me, I tended to stab the throttle to try and bring the back end in balance rather than applying a consistent, small throttle input once the car is sideways, but it's a very fine line. Hopefully we can organize something similar for NSXPO 2023. I think Atlanta Motorsports Park makes a lot of sense for a track venue since Road ATL seems out..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say what..no RA for expo :eek:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while so I'm feeling left out on the build updates.

I went about finally fixing my fog lights. They were working intermittently or not at all before. The back of the housings has surface corrosion that I'll likely end up restoring in a future project, lord knows I'm not buying new ones at $800 a set.
FIIDdmy.jpg

One of the harnesses had a split in the insulation which allowed corrosion of the black wire, which hardened over time and was making for a bad connection.
FDtYczP.jpg

Minor harness surgery to repair. Most of the wire had some level of corrosion inside so I spliced in a large replacement wire. Ideally I would've gone all the way up to the connector and re-pinned it but didn't have spare WPC terminals/seals.
sUnOOBx.jpg

Two new bulbs later and we're in business again. I like using them as DRLs at dawn/dusk to lessen the chance of a clapped-out Altima driver with no insurance pulling out in front of me.

At some indeterminate point in the future I'd like to do an LED DRL/turn signal retrofit and maybe I'll retrofit the fogs as well, but they're pricy/rare enough that I might save them and fit some new fog housings instead.
vcAnN4c.jpg

Otherwise, I dropped off the car last week to have to exhaust alignment fixed and to move the test pipe flange away from the U-brace. They did a decent job and I removed the dumb looking spacers and replaced the OEM bolts so that's sorted. The alignment of the tips is much closer, still not 100% perfect so I'll try again with the CRF adjustable brackets. They also fixed the stripped front engine mount bolt, I suppose I'll see how robust it is the next time I drop the front beam.

Furthermore, by the recommendation of a member of the car club I'm in, I took the car to Butler Tire which is a pretty well-known wheel & tire shop in ATL to get a second opinion on my alignment issue.

Long story short, they did a much better job in much less time. They were able to get my caster in spec, and matched the front camber as intended. I paid out the ass for a very minor adjustment but everything is sorted. Third time's the charm..
TBY5sYk.jpg

Both shops commented on the slop in my steering rack at lower speeds, I'm fairly positive I'm in need of a EPS rebuild. I know Matt @ NSX Rack Repair has glowing reviews and I'm sure they'll do a good job, but $1900 whole-ass dollars + shipping + misc parts kills a small part of me. I'm sure it's worth it though, just need to save a bit more.

Of course, I could get a manual rack and do away with the EPS altogether for about half the price and quicker turnaround. It would probably have to come overseas from JP and I'm sure shipping would be a few hundred, but it eliminates a ton of complexity and control modules from the car (i.e. the EPS computer and the A/T computer). I dunno really, I kind of like the EPS and I'm sure it'll feel great after a rebuild, and it's kind of novel to have a M/T with EPS in an early model NSX. I'm open to suggestions or anecdotes, it'll be a few months until I get around to it.

Lastly, I'm working on commissioning a frame measurement report from some locally recommended body shops to see if everything is up to snuff. Not somewhere I ever wanted the car to go near, but I need to see if anything further needs to be done to the area that was previously repaired in JP. I've held off on further parts procurement until I get a clear idea of how much money (if any) I'll have to spend to get the car completely sorted. Partly for my own peace of mind, partly for a future buyer/owner that would want the info. Either way, everything suspension-wise is finally back in spec.
HOW DID YOU SET UP THE CASTER??

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that was a while back :). The crossed-out 7.5° that changed to 7.2° was the alignment shop telling me that 7.2° was the actual reading and the printout hadn't been updated. I doubt they actually tried changing the caster since it's a fairly unique process on the NSX. It involves loosening two nuts on the compliance pivot to rotate the adjusting cam washer, which can be very difficult since the parts involved are known to corrode and seize together. I would expect mine are likely seized together, but I've never had to adjust the caster myself and it was likely brought into spec by the shop changing the camber and toe instead.

If your question was more about what the actual procedure is, you can find it in the 1991 factory service manual page 18-9.